An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which community/order is the one for me?

OLAM Dad

Somebody asked me to ask this of Sr. Lauren. Well, I got an answer from her in a letter but now I don't remember who asked the question and where. Since this seems to be a popular question around here I thought I would start a new thread to post her answer into. And since her answer is just her opinion I'd like to get your takes on this too.

It would be especially nice for those who are already religious or have chosen a community that they are for sure entering to tell us how they 'knew'.

[quote]Dad, I've thought about the question the girl on PM asked you, and the [u]only good[/u] answer I can really give (the only one that is really true) is that you'll feel at home when you visit the order.  If you have doubts, you can still give it a try because you can always leave; postulancy is a trial period meant specifically for that purpose.  I've heard a lot of holy priests say that you can leave religious life if you aren't called to it, but you can't leave marriage if you realize you have a religious vocation, so try the latter 1st![/quote]

Thoughts?

That's about it, in a nutshell. As Mother Angelica said on her Live show once, when she had some of her sisters with her: If you feel called to the Religious life and you are accepted into a community, the postulancy is always there for your further discernment. Actually you have a total of one yr postulancy, two yrs novitiate, and 6 yrs junior professed before you commit yourself to solemn vows. Who has that sort of trial period in married life?

Birgitta Noel

I've always felt that way too! That those in religious life have an advantage because they have that period of discernment that allows them to be immersed in the life. At the same time though it is more difficult becuase their spouse or should I say fiancee is not physically present in the same way!

[quote] the only good answer I can really give (the only one that is really true) is that you'll feel at home when you visit the order.  [/quote]

ding ... ding ... ding ... bingo!

[quote]the only good answer I can really give (the only one that is really true) is that you'll feel at home when you visit the order. [/quote]

This is exactly what Fr. John said and so did Fr. Don, both MIC's

Yours in Christ,

Eddy Lee

A priest assured me, "Oh, don't worry. You just have to wait until you fall in love with a community." Well, that sounds [i]really plausible[/i], I thought sarcastically, but viola! that's what happened to me. I still have doubts (or temptations to doubt) but take comfort in just what Sr. Lauren said: there is a time specifically for discernment in the formation process, and besides, Our Lady is the one in control, so SHE will take care of the whole thing!

[quote name='TheresaMF' date='Feb 20 2006, 07:21 PM']A priest assured me, "Oh, don't worry.  You just have to wait until you fall in love with a community."  Well, that sounds [i]really plausible[/i], I thought sarcastically, but viola! that's what happened to me.  I still have doubts (or temptations to doubt) but take comfort in just what Sr. Lauren said: there is a time specifically for discernment in the formation process, and besides, Our Lady is the one in control, so SHE will take care of the whole thing!
[right][snapback]893334[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

LOL. And what's so funny, is just when you think *you* are in control, our Lord, ever the comedian will show you just how wrong you are! :lol_roll:

Sweet Jesus :love: How gentle You are to us.

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Feb 20 2006, 08:46 PM']LOL.  And what's so funny, is just when you think *you* are in control, our Lord, ever the comedian will show you just how wrong you are!  :lol_roll:

Sweet Jesus  :love:  How gentle You are to us.
[right][snapback]893362[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So true...so true!

I knew that it was the community for me when I had this gut feeling that I was one of them, just without the habit. I felt like I always belonged and that everything matched up perfectly.

There is a thread around here called "Orders that make you giddy", or something like that.

I think the word 'giddy' is apropos.

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Feb 21 2006, 07:13 AM']There is a thread around here called "Orders that make you giddy", or something like that. 

I think the word 'giddy' is apropos.
[right][snapback]893610[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Very apropros.

My friend Alyssa said that when she knew, her heart beat faster whenever she thought of her community. I don't know if my heart beats faster, but a rush of joy overwhelms me when I think of my vocation.

the only times my heart beats faster is if i'm really nervous or scared. and sometimes that happens on visit or just calling the sisters....it beats so fast to the point i cant really breath..idk!!!