Tata126 Posted March 1, 2006 Posted March 1, 2006 Wow, giving up hitting the snooze button... that's hard. I couldn't do that, I'd just be setting myself up for failure, and then at some point I'd figure that I obviously wasn't really going to keep my lenten resolution so I might as well not worry about it, and that would be a bad situation. I don't see any problem with telling people what you're giving up, as long as you're not trying to make people admire how holy you are. It can really lift me up and inspire me to greater sacrifices if I know that people are giving up really hard stuff. Like, knowing about this snooze button thing makes my sacrifice (no drinks from the cappuccino bar, internet once a day, and extra prayers) look trivial, so now I know there's no excuse for not sticking to it.
Snarf Posted March 1, 2006 Posted March 1, 2006 I always had this as a huge problem in high school. I'd frequently go on trips with my academic teams, and there was always this one staunchly Protestant family that would watch when and what I'd eat during Lent and they'd make a huge deal about it. It always put me in an uncomfortable position, because by obeying my own standards at restaurants and such I was calling a great deal of attention to myself, and I always felt like that was just as bad as if I had broken my fast. Senior year of high school, someone in my calculus class decided that the room was too quiet, so he just said loudly, "Hey Seth, why don't you EAT something?" So afterwards, everyone asked me what I was doing and all I could answer was, "Trust me, it's not that difficult". If you need support to give something up, then ask for it. A little empathy goes a long way. But if you're advertising your "suffering" left and right, then it defeats the purpose entirely.
cmotherofpirl Posted March 1, 2006 Posted March 1, 2006 Telling people what you are giving up depends on if you are bragging or complaining.
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted March 1, 2006 Posted March 1, 2006 Today's Gospel: Mt 6:1-6, 16-18 Jesus said to his disciples: “Take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father. When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing, so that your almsgiving may be secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you. “When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you. “When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites. They neglect their appearance, so that they may appear to others to be fasting. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you may not appear to be fasting, except to your Father who is hidden. And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you.” [url="http://www.usccb.org/nab/030106.shtml"]http://www.usccb.org/nab/030106.shtml[/url]
Noel's angel Posted March 1, 2006 Posted March 1, 2006 I think there is a disticnt difference in telling a few people so that they might support you through this time and vis versa, and telling the world because you want sympathy or a pat on the back. It's all about what's in your heart. Also, we must remember that giving up things for Lent shouldn't be done so as we can feel proud of ourselves, but to bring us closer to God. So even if you don't tell anyone, be careful that you don't get too proud of yourself.
Nicole8223 Posted March 1, 2006 Posted March 1, 2006 [quote name='Noel's angel' date='Mar 1 2006, 11:30 AM']I think there is a disticnt difference in telling a few people so that they might support you through this time and vis versa, and telling the world because you want sympathy or a pat on the back. It's all about what's in your heart. Also, we must remember that giving up things for Lent shouldn't be done so as we can feel proud of ourselves, but to bring us closer to God. So even if you don't tell anyone, be careful that you don't get too proud of yourself. [right][snapback]900731[/snapback][/right] [/quote]
franciscanheart Posted March 1, 2006 Posted March 1, 2006 This is just like wearing the ashes. If we take the ashes as simply a habit or something we use to show off and draw attention then they are not truly serving their purpose. If, however, they are used to remind us of our humble beginnings and of our sinful nature then they have served their purpose. If they are used as a catalyst into the sacrifices and personal intraspection of this Lenten season then they have served their purpose and have not been in vain. And again I say it is the same with the sharing of Lenten sacrifices. If we share in order to recognize our need for humility and sacrifice then it is helpful and not in vain. If however we use it to gain pride or respect then what is our sacrifice but sinfulness?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now