An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lent and Discernment

Laurentina1975

Laurentina1975

Lent is a beautiful time of year. Today marks the beginning with Ash Wednesday. I know a lot of people are giving up various things, like chocolate, internet, etc., but what are you doing to bring yourself closer to Jesus as well as your call to religious life? Are you fasting? How are you preparing? How close are yout to giving God your "YES" and do you have any special Lenten tradtions within your family?

For me, I am not giving up chocolate (I don't really eat it anyway), I am giving of myself to others who are disadvantaged, to be reminded of how Christ suffered and to offer myself and my time to those who have not (whether it be food, money, family, God whatever). I am doing this by volunteering with the homeless and offering more in the nursing home I work at. So many elderly have no one to visit them. Like one woman in my nursing home...she is 103. Everyday she tells me she wants to die. No one ever visits her, her son is an alcoholic and never visits. There are many people suffering like this. For me, I see it everyday because it is in my line of work. Nursing Homes can be depressing places. So, if you are looking for something to do, to give of yourself, you can't go wrong visiting the elderly. They are easily forgotten.

I also have a Lenten Day of Retreat planned as well as some Lenten Bible Study every week with a group that hangs out at the Pauline bookstore.

A family tradition I have during Lent is The Divine Mercy Chaplet. I used to say this with my grandmother at the conclusion of the Easter season/Lent.

As far as my discernment, I am taking it slow. I think that meditating on the mysteries of Christ this Lenten season will bring me closer to my "yes" to Jesus.

I am praying that everyone has a Blessed Lent and you are brought ever closer to the mystery of Christ!

Your sister in Christ,
Lauren

PS. If you have time, please visit the elderly... :) this Lent.

AlterDominicus

Lent... well since I am not baptized or confirmed, I came to partake in giving something up, whilst I made a "death deal" with my great friends, -they are going to try and tempt me into eating sweets everyday for Lent- I told them, "I shall forever more remain faithfully to my Lord!"

I am settleling in and recording Truth In The Heart

AlterDominicus

[quote name='jgirl' date='Mar 1 2006, 03:21 PM']Are you going to be baptized this year or next?
[right][snapback]900982[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: April 15th Easter Vigil, 2006 -Baptism and Confirmation!!!!

Also thats the same day this year were Sister Mary Philomena FSGM renews vows! We were sooooooooooo excited, we are both baseball prayer partners now - hitting it hard - or should I say praying for one another hard.

That's awesome! I think it's great when young people decide to convert to Catholicism! I'm teaching a girl who is 17 and wants to be baptized Catholic. I will definitely pray for you over the next 40 days (plus some Sundays!)

AlterDominicus

[quote name='jgirl' date='Mar 1 2006, 05:18 PM']That's awesome! I think it's great when young people decide to convert to Catholicism! I'm teaching a girl who is 17 and wants to be baptized Catholic. I will definitely pray for you over the next 40 days (plus some Sundays!)
[right][snapback]901058[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks jgirl! Much needed, I will pray for you as well.

My throat hurts - I've made three songs in the past day, one is titled "Sister Joseph Andrew", haha, the others: FUTURESOROR Heheh! "Offic Book and Rosary" and "(Psalm 121)"

TeresaAvila

CONGRATULATIONS and WELCOME!!! Oh that is so awesome and you are going to be filled with SO many graces, it's a most wonderful experience!!! I was received on April 10, 2004 (baptism, confirmation and first communion) and the easter vigil is SOOOO beautiful, I will definately be keeping you in my prayers!!

As for what I'm doing for lent, I have a little book that has a scripture reading every day of lent that has a prayer and meditation with it also. I am abstaining from meat throughout the whole season of lent and I'm giving up all junkfoods and not eating out. I am also doing again my "fault jar" which is each lent I find something that I really need to work on (ie. swearing, or complaining etc) and each time I slip I put 25 cents in my "fault Jar" and at the end of lent that money is donated to the st. vincent de paul, it helps me become aware of my faults, work harder on my faults and in the end helps me and someone else, and I'm also doing the operation rice bowl and the money I save from not eating out etc I will donate. I also am spending even more time in prayer and I've decided on my days off I'm going to get up at midnight to pray matins and offer up all those prayers for the conversion of sinners, and I've got some wonderful books I plan to read (and re-read for the millionth time "The Sinners Guide" LOVE that book!) most of all I plan to spend even more time with my lord and really getting to know and LOVE him even more and striving to become more christlike! as for my discernment, from the first time I began to discern I had given my lord my YES and so I am going to continue to pray, persevere and just leave it all in his hands!!!

I wish you all a most Blessed Lent!!!

God Bless You!

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Mar 1 2006, 04:30 PM']THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!  :woot:  :woot:  :woot:  :woot:  :woot:  :woot:  :woot: April 15th Easter Vigil, 2006 -Baptism and Confirmation!!!!

Also thats the same day this year were Sister Mary Philomena FSGM renews vows! We were sooooooooooo excited, we are both baseball prayer partners now - hitting it hard - or should I say praying for one another hard.
[right][snapback]900990[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]