An Old School Catholic Message Board

Feeling "at home"

shortnun

It has been written many times (particularly in recent posts) that you know a community is right for you when you "feel at home." In one of DonnaMarie's recent posts she describes a "feeling of peace."

Last week, when speaking with my spiritual director, he made a comment of the effect that it's not just that "at home/at peace" feeling that'll be there. But also, a feeling that I add something to a specific community. That they will recognize the gifts I have to offer their community as well.

Thus I open the discussion up to those who are soon entering, those who already have entered, those who entered long ago, those whose children have entered, etc etc..... [b]have you experienced that you have something to offer your community, as well as feeling that they have something to offer to you?[/b]

:)

Edited by shortnun

[quote]have you experienced that you have something to offer your community, as well as feeling that they have something to offer to you?[/quote]

When I first visited the [url="http://www.stjudemonastery.org"]Monastery of St. Jude[/url], the beauty, peace, and love overwhelmed me. It sounds sort of cheesy to use those words, but it's true. The whole atmosphere was so calm and quiet, from the sweet-smelling air and cushiony grass to the stillness and inscence of the chapel and the quiet containment of the guest rooms. The very simplicity and poverty of the building (painted concrete block walls inside) and the beauty and peace and presence of God and the heavely courts in the chapel (again concrete block--but with Jesus present within!) surrounded me. The loving welcome of the sisters sharing part of their recreation with me in the parlor, from behind the screen. The ancient tones of their Office, partly in Latin to boot. Beauty and Charity.

So what do they have to offer me? Family. (I mean, I have a family here at home, but in joining them I would be entering a family too!) Completely and in every way ordered and focused on God. Sooo beautiful, and so loving. (Or: A life of prayer, liturgy, community, study, for the glory of God, the salvation of my soul, the support of priests and the salvation of the world? There's a lot I could say here.)

Do I have anything to offer them? Myself. Two different aspects in particular. First, my personality has to complement their community--I have to fit in with their family and rejoice in being part of them and they have to rejoice to have me. Otherwise I suppose if I don't fit in then I don't belong there. We'll see--that's what the Aspirancy is for, in part, I think. Second, really really literally [i]myself[/i], since the pray every day for St. Joseph to send them "vocations to our monastery NOW." They are old, and need vocations. They were praying for vocations from my school. And the one sister, who had been the very first girl to enter and persevere in the community, said that their community was so wonderful she didn't want to see it end.

Of course there are other things I have to offer--my college education and willingness to study, my enthusiasm to learn how to be a religious, my craftiness and computer skills, my knowledge of sewing, my young body to do work outside and help the elderly sisters, my youth itself as a hope an inspiration to the aged, my hands to do cooking, my voice to do singing, my feet to do errands around the house--even now, my car and enthusiasm to bring other girls down to visit them and expose them to religious life and to the monastery! :whistle: :sign: :deal: :saint:

So I don't know if that's the kind of input you were looking for, ShortNun. I'm sure that if I enter there God will use everything I've got in service of Him in that community. Or if I enter elsewhere (in His will) other talents might be emphasized, but again all of myself used for Him.

When I first read this post, I wasn't sure how or if I would respond. Have you ever felt sure of something but had difficulties articulating why or how? I felt at home, yes, at peace, when visiting the sisters. I'm not sure why. I just knew. It is sort of like the analogy that some children's books use. 'me' vs. 'not me'. I was at home. I felt accepted. I felt a belongingness that I didn't feel elsewhere.

With the community I am entering, while many call it an extension of OLAM, it is still a budding young community. I don't know what I will be assigned to do, but I thank our Lord for my various experiences over the years. I've managed a couple of retail stores and full service restaurants, so I know all about accounting/bookkeeping, ordering of foods and supplies, as well as various tips when cooking for large parties. I then became and am currently, a nurse. This will help me if I am ever assigned as infirmarian sister. I am quite domestic, having owned my own home, and so various cooking, cleaning, gardening and organizing are all things I've had to do. I bring those things with me, knowing that, especially as it's a newer community, I bring these things to help enrich whatever duty I am assigned.

As for what they offer me, I think it was the family spirit that hit me the most. A sense of belonging, and of charity to your fellow sister. There are many communities out there that are wonderful, but are more of an institutional mindset, that for me, wouldn't work as well. I really felt built up when visiting there, even for the short period I was there. Then, of course, there is the rich prayer life which just carries over into all else that is, especially the Adoration of our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. Prayer is important in any community, I believe, but in this monastery? It just. . .flowed into the rest of the day. Hope that all makes sense.

God bless you,

Denise

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 5 2006, 07:28 PM']When I first read this post, I wasn't sure how or if I would respond.  Have you ever felt sure of something but had difficulties articulating why or how?  I felt at home, yes, at peace, when visiting the sisters.  I'm not sure why.  I just knew.  It is sort of like the analogy that some children's books use.  'me' vs. 'not me'.  I was at home.  I felt accepted.  I felt a belongingness that I didn't feel elsewhere.

[right][snapback]903704[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks Denise...that's helpful!

Is it like when you know you're called to the religious life in general and you can't explain how you know, just that you do? Or is it something else?

[quote name='magnificat' date='Mar 5 2006, 06:29 PM']Thanks Denise...that's helpful!

Is it like when you know you're called to the religious life in general and you can't explain how you know, just that you do?  Or is it something else?
[right][snapback]903762[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think it is a little like that. When people would talk to me about religious life, they'd always inevitably use the word 'choice'. Now, don't get me wrong. A vocation to the religious life is an invitation from God, but we still choose, we still give our 'yes'. But people would use the word sort of, as if we are choosing our occupation as a lay person.

It's so hard to explain to people how I feel called to be His bride, especially to people who aren't Catholic! But I think it's more like a nudge, something that won't go away. And then, as one ponders the vocation more, well, at least, for me, I looked at the single life, and knew it wasn't for me. Then, I looked at married life, and said, ehhh, well, yea, I could do that if our Lord sent me a good Catholic man, I supPOSE. . . .but then looking at religious life, it was more of. . .almost a physical feeling of ahhhh, yes, this makes more sense, this is more 'me', who I am, what I feel called to do with the time our Lord gave me. Gosh, am I making sense at all? LOL I don't feel like I am.

It is a deep inner knowing, and sometimes there is no 'aha' moment where we can tell others 'this particular thing or instance is what made me know I should be a sister'. Sometimes it's just a knowing. . .a knowing that out of all the men in the world that our Lord can place in our paths, out of all the wonderful lives we could live in the world, we renounce those things, those men, those wonderful relationships, those worldly possessions, because nothing and no one can compare with dedicating our lives in their entirety to our Divine Lover, our Lord, Jesus Christ.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I hate to say it...

But i am the youngest guy in the order. I know i add a dynamic dimension.

But i feel, as a person, what i have been through, God has blessed me with a tremendous amount of hope. I feel called to in turn give hope to those who have none.

SHALOM

Lilllabettt

[quote]have you experienced that you have something to offer your community, as well as feeling that they have something to offer to you?[/quote]

I thought about your question for a little bit. It's been a concern to me that I don't have much to offer my prospective religious family. I certainly am a complete charity case where money is concerned. Many of the things they do are domestic related, but I've only been taking care of my own home for a year or so now. When I think of all the little things my Ma knows about keeping house ... oh, I have so much to learn!

I don't have a college degree, but I do have a little experience teaching. And I can write well enough. Those things might be useful for something!

To answer your question: the first time and only time I visited the Sister Servants, it occurred to me that I might not have much to offer them, that I am not a super-attractive candidate in terms of, well, skills. But that same thought ended with the idea that, the offering of my life would be enough.

Which was kind of a peaceful feeling.

So your answer is: yes and no, lol.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='Mar 7 2006, 06:08 AM']I thought about your question for  a little bit.  It's been a concern to me that I don't have much to offer my prospective religious family.  I certainly am a complete charity case where money is concerned.  Many of the things they do are domestic related, but I've only been taking care of my own home for a year or so now.  When I think of all the little things my Ma knows about keeping house ... oh,  I have so much to learn! 

I don't have a college degree, but I do have a little experience teaching. And I can write well enough. Those things might be useful for something!

To answer your question: the first time and only time I visited the Sister Servants, it occurred to me that I might not have much to offer them, that I am not a super-attractive candidate in terms of, well, skills.  But that same thought ended with the idea that, the offering of my life would be enough.

Which was kind of a peaceful feeling.

So your answer is: yes and no, lol.
[right][snapback]905133[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And truly, in the end, that's all that matters, that you are able to offer yourself. When I first read this, I too thought about it and thought about it, and went about it, the way one would say, a job interview. What DO I have to offer? Then I realized, after reading your post, well, yea, there's me! Thank you for humbling me. I needed that.

God bless you.

srmarymichael

You know what?

I think finding the right Religious Order (or Diocese for Diocesan priests) -- it's kinda like when you find the right person to marry -- [b]you just know! [/b]

First, a [u]thank you[/u] to everyone who shared their own experiences here in this thread.

Second, please know that it was never my intent to make this a "job interview" type of a question. The question I posed in my first post was an honest one that came out of a spiritual direction meaning. I was attempting to put language into that "at home feeling." Furthermore, it was a little bit of me "thinking out loud" and wondering if the emphasis in religious life--particularly with religious communities--(though I think you could substitute marriage in here as well) only on what the community has to offer us. When in reality, especially when you are livining in community, the "giving" is a two way street. (But really is all centered on [b]HIM[/b].)

I guess I didn't really know what sort of answer I was looking for... I guess I just wanted to hear about other people's experiences! As I journey through my own vocation discernment, I'm reminded by those who are wiser than I that the goal of religious/married life is not to fit yourself into what other people want/ expect you to be. But rather, the goal is to be the truest form of yourself--the truest form of Christ--you are capable of being. And that is a tremendous gift to be given to others, whether in religious life, marriage, ministry, etc. And praise be to God for the gift of grace and our Incarnate Word who speaks to others through us!

[quote name='shortnun' date='Mar 8 2006, 05:05 PM']...the goal is to be the truest form of yourself--the truest form of Christ--you are capable of being.
[right][snapback]906808[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Shortnun's comment triggered another thought in my mind. Christ, by definition, is eternally encompassing and THE good. I know it's been mentioned on other threads on this board, and I know I struggle with it myself, about how we feel so inadequate to be a religious. But God has graced us with a little part of Christ that we are called to imitate.

While we can (and should) try to imitate him in every respect, I think we are called to reflect Christ in a specific & unique way. This is reflected in our inner draw to a particular charism, apostolate, life style.

And, perhaps, where we are called to equips us with the grace to best reflect that part of Christ to the world. By finding this place, perhaps, it also grants us the additional grace to confront our tendancies that are more difficult to make Christ-like.

The combination of being in a community that lets one shine the light of Christ within them the brightest, so to speak, and one that is filled with people who are in a similar state is what happiness is, because we are most fulfilled.

Disclaimer: I'm still trying to discern the community I'm being called to, so I'm no where close to an expert, but for now, this is where my mind and heart have led me to believe. Anyone who has found their community, feel free to tell me I'm totally bonkers...no offense will be taken. :D:

[quote name='magnificat' date='Mar 8 2006, 08:56 PM']
The combination of being in a community that lets one shine the light of Christ within them the brightest, so to speak, and one that is filled with people who are in a similar state is what happiness is, because we are most fulfilled.
[right][snapback]906991[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I LOVE that! That's what I have been trying to get across to others . .friends, family and co workers. I've said that I 'could' enter an active order where I could come home and visit, where I could use my nursing degree, etc. But I feel that the community I am called to allows me to worship my Lord the best, and allows me to be, if I allow it, the best 'me' I can be, reflecting Jesus the best to others, even if it is a cloistered community. It is where I feel I'll be fulfilled and thus, able to reflect that to those around me. Thank you for saying it so eloquently.

Guest trfr415

When I visit different parishes, monasteries and seminaries. I do feel very much at home. As my list boiled down, I became feeling home at my diocese and surrounding seminaries/formation houses. I wish all the discerners on here clarity of mind.

God Bless

AlterDominicus

[quote name='shortnun' date='Mar 5 2006, 03:48 PM']It has been written many times (particularly in recent posts) that you know a community is right for you when you "feel at home." In one of DonnaMarie's recent posts she describes a "feeling of peace."

Last week, when speaking with my spiritual director, he made a comment of the effect that it's not just that "at home/at peace" feeling that'll be there. But also, a feeling that I add something to a specific community. That they will recognize the gifts I have to offer their community as well.

Thus I open the discussion up to those who are soon entering, those who already have entered, those who entered long ago, those whose children have entered, etc etc..... [b]have you experienced that you have something to offer your community, as well as feeling that they have something to offer to you?[/b]
:)
[right][snapback]903607[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes. Though I am 16, I know thousands of communities, ALL of them except for one in particular have fullfilled me with joy like it would be - talking to a best friend, but the one particular one has this emptiness feeling to the point when I go and visit I know I will be fullfilled with that awesome God eternal joy and peace, of the feeling of finally "being right at home."

Laurentina1975

[quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' date='Mar 5 2006, 10:13 PM']I hate to say it...

But i am the youngest guy in the order.  I know i add a dynamic dimension.

But i feel, as a person, what i have been through, God has blessed me with a tremendous amount of hope.  I feel called to in turn give hope to those who have none.

SHALOM
[right][snapback]903856[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Nicely put. ^_^