An Old School Catholic Message Board

My priest doesn't really understand....

phillovesourlady2

phillovesourlady2

Today I had my first official conversion meeting with my priest today. But, the stuff he told me I already knew, like, today was about the liturgical calendar. I think most of the other information he'll be lecturing me about I probably know too. Not to be arrogant but, basically, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit I have taught myself the Catholic faith. From books, the interent, the Catechism. I think i really should be received but everyone has told me that its up to the priest to decide when he thinks I'm ready. But, he really doesn't know how much I know. What should I do? The next time I see him what should I say? Should I just wait? I really couldn't wait another year to recieve Our Lord in the Eucharist and I really want to go to Confession. I really think he just doesn't get it! What should I do?! Advise please!

Tell him EXACTLY what you've just told us and I think you'll like the result.

God bless you and welcome home.

I don't think it's arrogant at all. My suggestion if you don't want to be very direct at first would be to mention that you had covered that in your own study but had questions about this, this and this. Maybe the direction of your questions might clue him into where your level is at. :)

I thank God the Catholic faith is stronger than its followers. We did not join a church based solely on the knowledge, piety, fruits, teaching ability, or depth of understanding of its followers.

To his credit, it is his job to teach you the basics of the faith. All candidates need Catholic 101 before entering the church, to include topics such as the liturgical calendar. The frustration you feel from his failure to identify your knowledge level and then adjust the instruction accordingly is understandable. Keep your head up and be patient like any of the great saints. God will bless you for your obedience.

I had the same issues.

There weren't many options. RCIA isn't set up for people who knowledgeably come to the faith. Keep up study on your own and ask good questions.

cmotherofpirl

Make a list of all the books you read and all the stuff you have covered so he has some clue as to what you might still need. :)

[quote name='jswranch' date='Mar 13 2006, 09:42 AM']To his credit, it is his job to teach you the basics of the faith.  All candidates need Catholic 101 before entering the church...[right][snapback]910201[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yep. I've been reading Aquinas, Augustine, Bonaventure, de Lubac, Von Balthasar, Rahner, and Ratzinger for two years -- what I'm currently being taught in RCIA is often WAAAAAAY beneath my level of Catholic knowledge and understanding. But I must respect the process.

Gal. 5:22,23

I understand what you're going through. I have found that RCIA is taught at a "beginner's" level. But our church has some 90 people in the program, so the best part for me is getting to know my fellow parishoners. Also, there's a lesson in humility here...we might know enough to teach a class, lead a retreat, or head up the youth ministry, but God might call us to clean the toilets, you know?

Edited by Gal. 5:22,23

[quote name='Gal. 5:22' date='23,Mar 14 2006, 02:10 PM']But our church has some 90 people in the program, so the best part for me is getting to know my fellow parishoners.[right][snapback]911623[/snapback][/right][/quote]

90 people? Wow! My parish only has [i]five[/i] this year, myself included, and we're a pretty fair-sized family parish in the Toronto suburbs.

I belong to a relatively small parish and our pastor insists on doing all the RCIA work himself, individually meeting with candidates and instructing them based upon where they are. He's awesome.

I have been in RCIA since August of 2005, I did have a really good understanding of the Catholic faith from attending Mass for 18 years, taking my daughters to all their religious education classes and in our parish, the parents spend about 60 hours in class with their children. Even with all of this, I have found the RCIA classes to be of a help to me. It is not only the knowledge that you learn during the classes, but other things like the support I am getting from the RCIA team right as the devil really starts to work on me trying to keep me from finishing up. I understand the desire to rush things.

sweetpea316

I totally understand also... I have "taught myself" Catholicism over the past year, but am starting RCIA this upcoming year. I am so eager and waiting another year seems like an awfully long time...but I'm putting the timing issues in God's hands. It will be worth the wait. :)

blovedwolfofgod

mine was done in a week. sorry to brag. i read one pamphlet, got first confession, recieved communion a week later, and three weeks later got confirmed. prior to that, i had been baptist.

maybe its because i went to catholic school? i dunno...

though i will say, i didnt know a darn thing about the faith... and wish i had been through it. now i can teach it.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 13 2006, 09:41 PM']Make a list of all the books you read and all the stuff you have covered so he has some clue as to what you might still need. :)
[right][snapback]910910[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
good idea :thumbsup: