An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Church At Home

zealousrap

we have a beautiful church, which can seat an upwards of almost 900 people if we pack em' in. Feel free to check out our [url="http://www.sjy.org/Church/churchhome.asp"]website[/url] here at the main page or you can check out our ever awesome [url="http://www.sjy.org/youthministry"]youth ministry[/url] page, which is always updated.

If you want to see just how beautiful it is, check out our [url="http://www.sjy.org/Church/image_index.asp"]image index[/url]. :D:

This is also home to a growing youth rally named Fan the Fire, which was created by our very own youth minister Scott Anthony. FTF is now expanded to Philly and one will be in Connecticut this summer.

Well, I hope yall like it, cuz I do :twothumbsup: :kicking: :dance: :dancer1: :dancer2: :guitar: :breakdance: :twist: :punk:

It's a beautiful parish! It's so open and airy. Are the acoustics just awesome in there? But I have one question. . .. uh, why is Jesus pushed to the side and not right behind the altar? That makes me sad.

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 18 2006, 11:55 PM']It's a beautiful parish!  It's so open and airy.  Are the acoustics just awesome in there?  But I have one question. . .. uh, why is Jesus pushed to the side and not right behind the altar?  That makes me sad.
[right][snapback]914981[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

the wood carving of Jesus is directly behind the altar as the focal point...mabe the pictures didn't give a good angle....were you talking about the tabernacle?

Edited by zealousrap

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 18 2006, 11:55 PM']It's a beautiful parish!  It's so open and airy.  Are the acoustics just awesome in there?  But I have one question. . .. uh, why is Jesus pushed to the side and not right behind the altar?  That makes me sad.
[right][snapback]914981[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

many parishes are being built that way now a days, a shrine i live near did the same thing, the tabernacle is hard to find!

[quote name='zealousrap' date='Mar 19 2006, 11:23 AM']the wood carving of Jesus is directly behind the altar as the focal point...mabe the pictures didn't give a good angle....were you talking about the tabernacle?
[right][snapback]915099[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yea, I'm just used to the Tabernacle being the focal point. The carving is nice. . .but still, it's just a carving. You know? It's not 'really' Jesus, the way He is in the Tabernacle. Our former bishop was all about removing the Tabernacle to the side or in some side chapel. Our current bishop told all the pastors to place Him back on the altar 'where He belongs'.

It's a pretty church! I'm a bit old fashioned too, like MC Just. . .I love the old 'ancient' cathedrals, with marble and stained glass of saints.

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 19 2006, 05:33 PM']Our current bishop told all the pastors to place Him back on the altar 'where He belongs'. 
[right][snapback]915279[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

that was one of the changes from Vatican II...they also used to have 6 candles on the altar too. At Franciscan University, they don't even have the tabernacle in the main room, but off to a side room that connects with the main room.
At my church the tabernacle room is huge... stained glass and lit up....MUCH bigger than most churches. If you were to be in our church there would be no mistaking exactly where the tabernacle is...to the right of the altar.

Edited by zealousrap

• 1 month later...

[quote name='zealousrap' post='915422' date='Mar 19 2006, 11:28 PM']
that was one of the changes from Vatican II...they also used to have 6 candles on the altar too. At Franciscan University, they don't even have the tabernacle in the main room, but off to a side room that connects with the main room.
At my church the tabernacle room is huge... stained glass and lit up....MUCH bigger than most churches. If you were to be in our church there would be no mistaking exactly where the tabernacle is...to the right of the altar.
[/quote]
yeah i hate how it's in the side room behind a curtainwall here at FUS... they need a new (and bigger) chapel
and i was confused the first time i went to your church because it was in that room :-P

[quote name='Franimus' post='960866' date='Apr 25 2006, 04:55 PM']
yeah i hate how it's in the side room behind a curtainwall here at FUS... they need a new (and bigger) chapel
and i was confused the first time i went to your church because it was in that room :-P
[/quote]

[size=4]FRANCIS!!! WSUP MY BROTHER!![/size] It's SOO awesome to see a fellow Disciple of the Word on Phatmass! I miss the household, man it's rediculous to go from our daily commitments at Franciscan to being a lone ranger at Penn State. :weep:

It's all good though.

Welcome to Phatmass brudda ;)

Edited by zealousrap

I read through your parish's tour page, and it troubles me that your church placed such heavy emphasis on the "Bishops' Document on Environment and Art in Catholic Worship". It's not even an official church document.

Here's what the USCCB says about it:
[url="http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/q&a/environment/environment.shtml"]http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/q&a/environme...vironment.shtml[/url]

I mean, it's a pretty church, just not very "Catholic" in appearance. It's too bad they didn't follow the guidelines of an "official" church document such as "Redemptionis Sacramentum" when planning... :(

[quote name='inDEED' post='963819' date='Apr 28 2006, 01:28 AM']
It's beautiful, bro...
[/quote]

THANK YOU, inDEED :cool: I agree

say what you will dUSt but this is the Church where I really came into the faith. This is where Aaron Hostetter became zealous, and Zealous ;)

Our parish is not an idle sleeping giant, we are proactive and our Capuchin priests are on fire, even the older ones. We host one of the most popular youth rallys around here, bringing in like 1000 kids from PA, NJ, Maryland, etc.

So while it may not look to you like it's "Catholic" in appearance chill cuz there is much fruition coming out of it.

[quote name='zealousrap' post='964192' date='Apr 28 2006, 11:07 AM']
THANK YOU, inDEED :cool: I agree

say what you will dUSt but this is the Church where I really came into the faith. This is where Aaron Hostetter became zealous, and Zealous ;)

Our parish is not an idle sleeping giant, we are proactive and our Capuchin priests are on fire, even the older ones. We host one of the most popular youth rallys around here, bringing in like 1000 kids from PA, NJ, Maryland, etc.

So while it may not look to you like it's "Catholic" in appearance chill cuz there is much fruition coming out of it.
[/quote]
I don't doubt that.

But, I know of a ton of Protestant churches that are on fire too, with good fruit coming out of them. I'm sure your parish is an awesome Catholic parish with awesome Catholic priests and lay people. Don't have a hissy fit.

It is beautiful, but I'm just saying I wish they designed the church a little better for the sake of proper formation.

Just listen this episode of Fr Pontifex's Phat 5:
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phat5/2005/jun26_benotafraid2.mp3"]http://www.phatmass.com/phat5/2005/jun26_benotafraid2.mp3[/url]