An Old School Catholic Message Board

mp3 blogs

morostheos

Is it ethical to download mp3's from the increasingly popular mp3 blogs that are available online? I don't know for sure if the blogger's have the artist's permission or not to post the music, and I know sometimes the mp3's have been removed because they violated the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Do you think that means the songs that remain on the blogs are legal and you are allowed to download them?

Here's a wiki article on the phenomenon: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3_blog"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3_blog[/url]

Brother Adam

Better to err on the side of caution. Increasingly dvd's I buy have 30 second warnings that using a movie or music you haven't paid money for is stealing anyway you cut it.

Catholic Fanatic

Downloading illegal mp3s is stealing and a mortal sin. Downloading music that might be illegal is also a mortal sin because you are allowing yourself the possibility of stealing, and probably are stealing a lot anyway.

If you do these things, you will be bound up and cast into the literal fires of hell. There the only food that will fill your eternal hungers will be the maggots that are eating at your eyes. The greatest hunger will be where the Terrible Judge should sit, but alas, He's damned you for eternity from knowing Him. There will be wailing and grinding of teeth, and you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.

Brother Adam

lol. I don't believe for a minute that you are Catholic. You have some kind of grudge against the Church (thus your predominate focus on phatmass with posts that methodically preach only 'eternal damnation'). None the less, I find your posts amusing.

Edited by Brother Adam

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Catholic Fanatic' date='Mar 20 2006, 09:52 PM']Downloading illegal mp3s is stealing and a mortal sin. Downloading music that might be illegal is also a mortal sin because you are allowing yourself the possibility of stealing, and probably are stealing a lot anyway.

If you do these things, you will be bound up and cast into the literal fires of hell. There the only food that will fill your eternal hungers will be the maggots that are eating at your eyes. The greatest hunger will be where the Terrible Judge should sit, but alas, He's damned you for eternity from knowing Him. There will be wailing and grinding of teeth, and you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.
[right][snapback]916127[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think trolling is a mortal sin... :smokey:

• 4 months later...
Catholic Fanatic

Your light hearted nature towards mortally sinning is itself a mortal sin. You are making light of a serious situation and encouraging others to do the same and to do the sin. May God have mercy on your only mortal soul, lest you burn for all eternity with the Devil and His minions.

[quote]Your light hearted nature towards mortally sinning is itself a mortal sin. You are making light of a serious situation and encouraging others to do the same and to do the sin. May God have mercy on your only mortal soul, lest you burn for all eternity with the Devil and His minions. [/quote]
wow.

[url="http://podsafeaudio.com"]Podsafeaudio.com[/url] Has tons of music that is cool for podcasts. Also, just do google searches for podsafe music to avoid copyright issues.

[quote]If you do these things, you will be bound up and cast into the literal fires of hell. There the only food that will fill your eternal hungers will be the maggots that are eating at your eyes. The greatest hunger will be where the Terrible Judge should sit, but alas, He's damned you for eternity from knowing Him. There will be wailing and grinding of teeth, and you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.[/quote]
I'm confused...you keep saying that the whole deal is eternal? But what about the last sentence about being released? Either way, thank you for making me smile. I've always wanted maggots eating my eyes!

In regards to the MP3 blogs, some of them have a disclaimer that you can download the music for sampling, and must delete it from your computer within 24 hours. Not sure if that's legal or not, but it seems pretty reasonable, given that you're on the honor code. As for me, I like having a big CD collection, and worst comes to worst, if I don't want to buy the whole CD I have a friend who already has it send me a few songs.