Ash Wednesday Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 (edited) Why make it Britney? WHY????? At first I thought this was a joke, but apparently it is not. [url="http://www.caplakesting.com/2006_catalog/de/index.htm"]http://www.caplakesting.com/2006_catalog/de/index.htm[/url] [b]Please note, the link features images of a sculpture of a nude. [/b] On the flip side, I'm a little surprised that an art gallery would even allow something from the pro-life platform.... most artists I've known from school and whatnot were hard left. Edited March 24, 2006 by Ash Wednesday
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 Since when is the pro-life movement about that? its disgusting.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 Ick...got to be honest, those statues just look gross and more sexual than pro-life.
homeschoolmom Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 she looks like she's having terrible back labor... ANd if so, she shouldn't be smiling...
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon8.gif[/img]
Thy Geekdom Come Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Mar 23 2006, 10:18 PM'] she looks like she's having terrible back labor... ANd if so, she shouldn't be smiling... [right][snapback]919802[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Yeah...the smiling is what creeped me out...pregnant women I don't mind...women in labor I don't mind...women in labor who seem to be having a rather ecstatic experience of it...creeeeeeeeeeeepyyyyyyyyy
Old_Joe Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 [quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 23 2006, 08:16 PM']Ick...got to be honest, those statues just look gross and more sexual than pro-life. [right][snapback]919798[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Amen. looks like something out of a bad romance novel or worse...
crazymaine catholic Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 it's gross enough without applying brittany spears' name to it. that just makes it worse.
Brother Adam Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 Ash, your avatar is giving me a huge headache! There should be a warning before viewing it. And yes, that is wierd.
Old_Joe Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 23 2006, 09:18 PM']Ash, your avatar is giving me a huge headache! There should be a warning before viewing it. And yes, that is wierd. [right][snapback]919825[/snapback][/right] [/quote] There should be a warning label about seizures.
toledo_jesus Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 hm. she didn't look like she was smiling to me. But they didn't even show the baby crowning on that little website...that's what the people want to see. Why should I travel to Brooklyn to look at that?
Cow of Shame Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 (edited) [quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Mar 24 2006, 02:04 AM']hm. she didn't look like she was smiling to me. But they didn't even show the baby crowning on that little website...that's what the people want to see. Why should I travel to Brooklyn to look at that? [right][snapback]919977[/snapback][/right] [/quote] heh Yeah, didn't look like she was smiling to me, either. I thought it was a very interesting sculpture of the female form, and very expertly done...just not terribly tasteful. The bearskin 'rug' big was pretty bizarre. Why any pro-life movement would want to become associated with the thing is beyond me. Edited March 24, 2006 by Cow of Shame
Didacus Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 hmmmm I don't know why but I seem to be the only one who does not find offense with this. I believe it can be pro-life by depicting the female body, while pregnant, to be a beautfiul thing. Now mind you, we don't all find beauty in the same places or in the same way. The statue does not strike me as perverted, nor do I find it digusting. A bit strange, not the way I would choose to present a pro-life stance, but still I do not find offense. At this point in the struggle, anything that is genuinely presented in favor of pro-life is good news to me, even if I can't really understand it nor share the sentiment of its presentation. Back to you Bob....
Ash Wednesday Posted March 24, 2006 Author Posted March 24, 2006 Oh... all RIGHT, I'll change the avatar. Whiners. I don't really find the idea of having a sculpure of a pregnant nude to be offensive. I just don't understand why it had to be Britney Spears. I guess the cynic in my says it's because making it Britney would generate publicity.
homeschoolmom Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 23 2006, 10:18 PM']Ash, your avatar is giving me a huge headache! There should be a warning before viewing it. [right][snapback]919825[/snapback][/right] [/quote] [quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Mar 24 2006, 08:38 AM']Oh... all RIGHT, I'll change the avatar. Whiners. I don't really find the idea of having a sculpure of a pregnant nude to be offensive. I just don't understand why it had to be Britney Spears. I guess the cynic in my says it's because making it Britney would generate publicity. [right][snapback]920063[/snapback][/right] [/quote] thanks... But yeah... To me, the statue is in the same vein as "labor videos" where dad has the camera and then we show the video at the kid's birthday parties.. Not for me, thanks. Three labors = three very special days that are indelibly etched in my memory and that of my husband... no need to recreate it...
homeschoolmom Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 [quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 23 2006, 09:21 PM']Yeah...the smiling is what creeped me out...pregnant women I don't mind...women in labor I don't mind...women in labor who seem to be having a rather ecstatic experience of it...creeeeeeeeeeeepyyyyyyyyy [right][snapback]919804[/snapback][/right] [/quote] and she's balanced on her elbows and knees. No way... I don't think there's a laboring woman on the planet who could get into that pose, hold it and not be lookoing like this: It's so unrealistic that it's creepy.
Didacus Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 Oh come on HSMom... where's that artistic young woman from her college days? How realistic is Picasso? And the Britney thing... ya, that smells kinda fishy to me. As far I know Britney ain't pro-life - please correct me if I'm wrong.
Ash Wednesday Posted March 24, 2006 Author Posted March 24, 2006 I don't know if Spears has said anything about abortion. I think she probably gravitates more towards a politically conservative platform and she supported Bush. But among the reasons why I wouldn't have made the statue of her? Getting married twice in one year (one being a vegas quickie), kissing Madonna, pre-marital sex, a song about masturbation, and the soft porn nature of her music and videos -- she's not my first choice to be in a monument for the pro-life cause. Now before people chime in that I'm "judging" her -- no, I'm not. I'm not talking about the state of her soul or anything like that. But part of limiting abortion is sexual maturity and responsibility. She's also the butt of a great deal of trailer trash jokes and she doesn't seem to mind that, either. In the end, it just makes the pro-life cause look stupid. What's more, she has a nanny. She has money. She can afford to put off her career to raise a child (when she's not driving with the baby in her lap...) She can keep her child at home with the nanny and cut a pop album, no problem. Madonna did it twice. But again, Britney = publicity.
prose Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 Um... I guess the artist didn't know that Britany had a c-section...
Thy Geekdom Come Posted March 24, 2006 Posted March 24, 2006 [quote name='prose' date='Mar 24 2006, 10:32 AM']Um... I guess the artist didn't know that Britany had a c-section... [right][snapback]920093[/snapback][/right] [/quote]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now