An Old School Catholic Message Board

discerning university students!

benedictaj

I know I'm starting up another new thread so soon after my last one. :blush: but anyway!

Uni students!! (translation: college students lol. :P: You Americans crack me up :D: ) [i]Who here is at university right now? And how do you feel it relates to your discernment? and how are your parents taking it?[/i]

I think I've fallen in love with an order, :love: in fact, a particular community. Unlike all the other orders I've looked at, this one is just [i]special[/i], you know? My spiritual director thinks so too. So, in front of the Blessed Sacrament a couple of nights ago, for some reason, a specific date came into my head (for, uhm...this year) and I promised our Lord that I would not try to figure it out, but I'd leave it in His Hands. So far, so goo.d The problem is now that I have this burning urge to enter really soon. :rolleyes:

A very wise woman told me that once I know where I'm meant to be, the love of Christ will urge me on, and all I'll want is Him. I'm finding this to be sooo true now! hehe)

SO! I'm a third of the way through my first semester at uni, which is actually boring me to death. I could be doing something with Jesus, lol! But [i]how do you keep you motivation on your school work? how do you maintain your grades?[/i] I'm not the most motivated student in the first place, but now I'm just starting to slack off. I know that I can't enter relgious life tomorrow, and I still plan to visit them before I do so, anyway. But all this boring secular learning is just...............boring me! ;)

Prayers etc are appreciated. I keep you all in mine. :)

Hiya,

I'm in law school and discerning so I don't know if it counts...but I do know that the two keep me mucho busy. It's definately hard since I've already finished undergraduate (which is all I need to enter the community I'm discerning with) and I still have another 2 years to go...since it appears taht God is calling me to finish my law degree. (And Mother and the VD of the community agree that it seems to be the case). Even though I can see how much of an advantage it will be in the future, it's still hard on a daily basis, ya know?

What helps me stay focused is
(1) reminding myself daily that God has called me here to study and to get the education to serve Him better and thus, my vocation right now is to be a student
(2) thinking of it as a way to practice obedience now (to pay attention in class, do my homework, etc)
(3) to set aside prayer time every day and be faithful to that time schedule, which means at least daily Mass, praying Lauds & Vespers, and 45 min of spiritual reading/meditation....and making at least one Holy Hour a week.

Hope that helps a little...I totally understand what you're going through. Now back to my school work....:book:

salveregina

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I'm finishing my second semester of my junior year in college. I've been discerning with the same community since freshman year! Oy! It has been very difficult at times, and I have wanted to be with that community so terribly. However, through the wisdom of the vocation director(s), I have stayed in college, and will finish soon. It is something that I will never regret! I have found amazing friends that have helped me to grow in holiness in ways I never imagined my freshman year. I have learned the importance of living where one is, not where one wants to be. And I think I have really learned what it is to be dissatisfied with the things of the world and yearn for more (nothing like college life to teach you that!). Anyway, my suggestion is to obviously go with what your vocation/spiritual directors say, and to follow your heart's desire. Psalm 37:4: "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart" :)

Also, we have daily Eucharistic adoration here at school, and I've made it a point to stop in for at least a bit (usually an hour) each day. I can't tell you how God has blessed me through that! He is so good. :blush:

be_thou_my_vision

I am a freshman in college and also discerning. I go to Ball State in Indiana. Salveregina, what order have you been discerning since freshman year?

be_thou_my_vision

I am a freshman in college and also discerning. I go to Ball State in Indiana. Salveregina, what order have you been discerning since freshman year?

be_thou_my_vision

I have been discerning with the [url="http://www.ssfpa.org"]Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration[/url] since sophomore year of high school. Recently, though, I have been discerning a call to [url="http://www.heartsawake.com"]Carmel[/url], the cloister or just do the secular Carmelite order.

I'm discerning the priesthood -- I'm interested in the diocesan priesthood and the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits), although I'm also very interested in "strict" contemplative orders like the Carthusians and the Camaldoli -- and I'm currently an undergraduate at the University of Toronto.

Basically, my calling to the priesthood (that is, if I truly [i]am[/i] called) is actually what prompted me to enter university. I'm not yet a full Catholic -- I will be confirmed into the Catholic Church in exactly two weeks! -- so I've got at least three years to wait before I can even enter the seminary or a religious order as a novice. So, I figure I might as well get my Bachelor's degree in that time instead of twiddling my thumbs. This way, if I do take further steps toward the priesthood at the end of those three years and enter the seminary/novitiate, I can jump right into graduate theological studies; if I don't, hey, at least I've got a Bachelor's degree that I can use toward a different career path.

If you are looking into contemplative orders, I would also check out : [url="http://www.carmelitemonks.org/index.html"]http://www.carmelitemonks.org/index.html[/url]

I hear they are fabulous!

As for the degree in the university. That is a wonderful idea. And yet, I would also caution you as many who have been done with the university, also carry, along with their degree, a tremendous amount of debt. And of course, one cannot enter religious life, with debt.

God bless you during your journey and congratulations on becoming a Catholic!

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Apr 2 2006, 02:07 PM']As for the degree in the university.  That is a wonderful idea.  And yet, I would also caution you as many who have been done with the university, also carry, along with their degree, a tremendous amount of debt.  And of course, one cannot enter religious life, with debt.[right][snapback]933397[/snapback][/right][/quote]

This is definitely a concern; I most likely will be facing debt upon completion of my undergraduate studies. One ray of light in that regard is that both sets of grandparents are very well-off... and very old/ill (there's no way to say that without sounding heartless, but this is the reality). When they pass on, I will probably be looking at a healthy inheritance that will enable me to pay off whatever debt I have accumulated. Also, I will be working part-time during all semesters and full-time every summer. Anyway, I'm not too worried -- I have faith that if God wants me to be a priest, and I work hard toward that, things will somehow fall into place.

Just for curiosity's sake, do you know the general policy regarding debt for entering diocesan seminaries? I've heard of diocesan priests still paying off student loans, although that could just be their seminary tuition, not from their pre-seminary university studies. Thanks.

I don't know the answer to that, and perhaps each diocese is different but maybe some nice seminary student and/or diocesan priest will read about this and answer. My advice would then be to call your diocesan vocation office and ask. ;) Can't hurt. God bless you!

[quote name='Nathan' date='Apr 2 2006, 02:51 PM']This is definitely a concern; I most likely will be facing debt upon completion of my undergraduate studies. One ray of light in that regard is that both sets of grandparents are very well-off... and very old/ill (there's no way to say that without sounding heartless, but this is the reality). When they pass on, I will probably be looking at a healthy inheritance that will enable me to pay off whatever debt I have accumulated. Also, I will be working part-time during all semesters and full-time every summer. Anyway, I'm not too worried -- I have faith that if God wants me to be a priest, and I work hard toward that, things will somehow fall into place.

Just for curiosity's sake, do you know the general policy regarding debt for entering diocesan seminaries? I've heard of diocesan priests still paying off student loans, although that could just be their seminary tuition, not from their pre-seminary university studies. Thanks.
[right][snapback]933415[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If your debt isn't obnoxious, you can usually deal with it. You'd probably get a deferral while you are in seminary because you will be enrolled in full time studies, and then after you will have a modest salary that you can use to pay the monthly payments.