inDEED Posted March 30, 2006 Posted March 30, 2006 [quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 30 2006, 08:47 AM']Tim Smith is still the director and Tom Booth and Matt Maher are 'associate' music ministers, although (and I could be wrong because I haven't been to St Tim's in a couple years) Tom and Matt seem to be the ones who lead the LT Mass. I don't have any of his music. . .but then, I've gotten rid of so much, it'd seem foolish to start buying now, a month before I enter religious life. . .but I know that a couple of Matt's songs are on the Kathy Troccoli CD I have. [right][snapback]928258[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Associate Music Minister = Parish Music Minister Tomato, tomato
HisChild Posted March 30, 2006 Posted March 30, 2006 Oh. . .well, I thought he said director, not music minister.
luciana Posted March 31, 2006 Posted March 31, 2006 [quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 29 2006, 01:48 PM']Have you listened to Tom Booth? I also love Kathy Troccoli. Interestingly enough. . .here's trivia for you, Rich Mullins was in the process of converting, when he was killed in that accident. I've heard Matt Maher is good, but I've only heard him sing with Tom. [right][snapback]927082[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I heard Rich Mullens was very interested but I didnt know he was going to convert. Bro.Adam, I know what you mean by the nasaly sound thing, like a Michael W. smith sounding LOL Except for stuff from phatmass or related artists, it's hard to find good music. Here are some that are pretty good: Ryan Meyers,Matt Maher, Seven Sorrows, Critical Mass, Keith Roberts, David Vogel has a nice pro-life song I like; I just listened to Rise for the first time, one of the guys from the band posted on here in the myspace thread,kind of classic rock feel; Monica ursino Cd I got cheap awhile ago-- pretty good, pop-like, I just heard Cheer Up Charlie from a link at Catholic Tuneage (formerly Musilica) They were reviewed by Ryan Meyers. WOW! They are good!!! at their Website, the link is on the Catholic Tuneage website, you can buy the album or MP3's individually--- good deal $ wise.
luciana Posted March 31, 2006 Posted March 31, 2006 [quote name='ninjakyle' date='Mar 29 2006, 08:29 PM']I don't know what your "type" of music is. . . but, my type is nose music ...just kidding I don't know if we sound like we are singing through our nose, but our new CD will have a solo with a nose flute. [url="http://www.popple.us"]www.popple.us[/url] we have free mp3s, and the cd is $4 The new CD is going to be better quality recording, but I still like the songs on the first CD . . . moral of the story: check it out and see what you think [url="http://www.fridaymourning.com"]Friday Mourning[/url] has a new CD out and they don't sing through their nose . . . ears, maybe, but not nose. [url="http://www.richdittus.com"]Rich Dittus[/url] sings through his arm pits, if you are into that sort of thing I can't put down anyone, just becasue it isn't my style, but I bet there is some stuff out there that you will like. [right][snapback]927661[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Nice, I will look into your material. always looking for new music
HisChild Posted March 31, 2006 Posted March 31, 2006 I'm not sure how far along Rich Mullins was in that process, luciana, I was just told by some people at a church I used to attend, that he was speaking with the pastor there, and was 'pretty' close to converting (how far along, again, I don't know. . RCIA? Inquiry? What?). I was even told, although this could be bunk, that this is where he got the inspiration to write 'creed'. Who knows? It could be pure speculation from people who knew people, sort of thing. But I thought it was pretty inspiring nonethelesss. . .
Brother Adam Posted March 31, 2006 Author Posted March 31, 2006 [quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 31 2006, 12:19 AM']I'm not sure how far along Rich Mullins was in that process, luciana, I was just told by some people at a church I used to attend, that he was speaking with the pastor there, and was 'pretty' close to converting (how far along, again, I don't know. . RCIA? Inquiry? What?). I was even told, although this could be bunk, that this is where he got the inspiration to write 'creed'. Who knows? It could be pure speculation from people who knew people, sort of thing. But I thought it was pretty inspiring nonethelesss. . . [right][snapback]929349[/snapback][/right] [/quote] He was going through the RCIA process when he was killed.
Brother Adam Posted March 31, 2006 Author Posted March 31, 2006 [quote name='luciana' date='Mar 30 2006, 11:57 PM'] Bro.Adam, I know what you mean by the nasaly sound thing, like a Michael W. smith sounding LOL [right][snapback]929298[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I think MWS is the reason most Christian colleges aren't allowed to listen to contemporary Christian. I cannot stand him.
HisChild Posted March 31, 2006 Posted March 31, 2006 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 31 2006, 06:45 AM']He was going through the RCIA process when he was killed. [right][snapback]929518[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Thank you. I thought it was more than just merely a thought. . .but wasn't sure.
Brother Adam Posted March 31, 2006 Author Posted March 31, 2006 [quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 31 2006, 10:47 AM']Thank you. I thought it was more than just merely a thought. . .but wasn't sure. [right][snapback]929625[/snapback][/right] [/quote] yeah. when i was a baptist and found out most of my friends got depressed that he was in rcia. I got giddy. It gave me one more reason to think about becoming Catholic.
Mike B Posted March 31, 2006 Posted March 31, 2006 [quote]Except for stuff from phatmass or related artists, it's hard to find good music. Here are some that are pretty good: Ryan Meyers,Matt Maher, Seven Sorrows, Critical Mass, Keith Roberts, David Vogel has a nice pro-life song I like; I just listened to Rise for the first time, one of the guys from the band posted on here in the myspace thread,kind of classic rock feel; Monica ursino Cd I got cheap awhile ago-- pretty good, pop-like,[/quote] thanks for the plug luciana! I am "that guy" from Rise, and yes we are 100% Catholic (RCIA converts) and no we don't sing through our noses..... There is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes to organize and improve the quality of the Catholic music being put out there,,,but I do agree, it is a slow drawn out process... one cool thing that I have noticed, having performed with most of those people you mention above, is that the Catholic groups are about so much more than the music and selling CD's....,the testimony and ministries attached to the music are what really makes these people special and makes me proud to be mentioned in the same company... I would add Cheer Up Charlie to your list too,,,very high quality song writing and production.... When you all get a moment to visit CatholicJukebox.com go to the Catholic Rockers pod cast section,,there are some great interviews with a lot of these people and their music,,nice to listen to when you have some time,,,,, also, being the shameless self promoter that I am ,,,,you can always visit our web site at [url="http://risefan.com"]Rise Web Site[/url] we have free mp3's and videos on the fan zone page,,,, thanks,,, Mike
Brother Adam Posted March 31, 2006 Author Posted March 31, 2006 (edited) [quote name='Mike B' date='Mar 31 2006, 11:43 AM']thanks for the plug luciana! I am "that guy" from Rise, and yes we are 100% Catholic (RCIA converts) and no we don't sing through our noses..... There is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes to organize and improve the quality of the Catholic music being put out there,,,but I do agree, it is a slow drawn out process... one cool thing that I have noticed, having performed with most of those people you mention above, is that the Catholic groups are about so much more than the music and selling CD's....,the testimony and ministries attached to the music are what really makes these people special and makes me proud to be mentioned in the same company... I would add Cheer Up Charlie to your list too,,,very high quality song writing and production.... When you all get a moment to visit CatholicJukebox.com go to the Catholic Rockers pod cast section,,there are some great interviews with a lot of these people and their music,,nice to listen to when you have some time,,,,, also, being the shameless self promoter that I am ,,,,you can always visit our web site at [url="http://risefan.com"]Rise Web Site[/url] we have free mp3's and videos on the fan zone page,,,, thanks,,, Mike [right][snapback]929694[/snapback][/right] [/quote] You have a typo on your webpage. It is "Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults" not "Right" hehe. I like the music though. Cool stuff. If only I had $$ : Edited March 31, 2006 by Brother Adam
Mike B Posted March 31, 2006 Posted March 31, 2006 where did you find that?!?!?! which page,,,I thought I fixed all of those
Brother Adam Posted March 31, 2006 Author Posted March 31, 2006 About Us RISE Right of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) in October of 1999, desiring to enter the Church.Read on
Mike B Posted March 31, 2006 Posted March 31, 2006 good catch,,,,thanks!,,,,,I will fix that when I get home tonight,,,,, Mike
luciana Posted April 1, 2006 Posted April 1, 2006 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 31 2006, 08:45 AM']He was going through the RCIA process when he was killed. [right][snapback]929518[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Ahh, thanksfor clearing that up :)That's great that he was on his way to converting. that's interesting what you said Adam regarding your Baptist friends thoughts on that. I like his song Creed too that was mentioned by PCPC2Be; I like the version by Third Day [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 31 2006, 08:46 AM']I think MWS is the reason most Christian colleges aren't allowed to listen to contemporary Christian. I cannot stand him. [right][snapback]929519[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I saw the recent movie with him in it : w/ my nondenom. friends and sister. Most of them also commented on how nasally he sounded. I'm glad I'm not theonly one that thinks so.LOL
luciana Posted April 1, 2006 Posted April 1, 2006 (edited) [quote name='Mike B' date='Mar 31 2006, 12:43 PM']thanks for the plug luciana! I am "that guy" from Rise, and yes we are 100% Catholic (RCIA converts) and no we don't sing through our noses..... There is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes to organize and improve the quality of the Catholic music being put out there,,,but I do agree, it is a slow drawn out process... one cool thing that I have noticed, having performed with most of those people you mention above, is that the Catholic groups are about so much more than the music and selling CD's....,the testimony and ministries attached to the music are what really makes these people special and makes me proud to be mentioned in the same company... I would add Cheer Up Charlie to your list too,,,very high quality song writing and production.... When you all get a moment to visit CatholicJukebox.com go to the Catholic Rockers pod cast section,,there are some great interviews with a lot of these people and their music,,nice to listen to when you have some time,,,,, also, being the shameless self promoter that I am ,,,,you can always visit our web site at [url="http://risefan.com"]Rise Web Site[/url] we have free mp3's and videos on the fan zone page,,,, thanks,,, Mike [right][snapback]929694[/snapback][/right] [/quote] You are welcome, Mike I did include Cheer up Charlie in the rest of my post on page 2 you quoted from. I just added them to my cart to purchase w/ a few Cd's inc. yours I'll be buying some in a few weeks when I have some more $ I <3 supporting Catholic artists. PS. No wonder Cheer Up Charlie had a familiar sound. They were formerly Scarecrow + Tinman haha .I haven't been on PM regularly since summer-- I should have checked out their music page P.P..S nice website, Mike. Rise has a WYD 2005 video Edited April 1, 2006 by luciana
Mike B Posted April 1, 2006 Posted April 1, 2006 [quote]He was going through the RCIA process when he was killed.[/quote] A cool little tidbit of trivia about this,,, I met Rick Elias in Washington DC a few years back at a function,,,,Rick toured with Rich Mullins and recorded Prayers of A Ragamuffin after Rich died,,,, Rick is now a Catholic!
bandmn54 Posted April 3, 2006 Posted April 3, 2006 Hey guys...Seth from CuC here. Thanks for mentioning us in some of your posts. I was actually wondering if there was very little awareness about us, or that people just didn't like us. I'm glad that some of you are repin' it up! Boo Ya! Seth
ninjakyle Posted April 3, 2006 Posted April 3, 2006 Seth whatever, everyone knows Cheer up Charlie rocks... That is just a "given" silly goose and tell brad that he should do more singing through his nose on the next CD if you guys ever want to make it big . . . aparently that is the key -Kyle (of Popple)
susanbailey Posted April 11, 2006 Posted April 11, 2006 The Catholic Music Network at www.catholicmusicnetwork.com probably has the largest collection of Catholic artists - many different styles to choose from. This has been an interesting thread. I am a Catholic recording artist and while I don't think I sing through my nose :-), I do do music that is devotional and liturgical in nature and does appeal to older people. I kind of like to think of my music as sung prayer. If you like that kind of stuff, you can check me out at www.susanbailey.net - lots of stuff to listen to. Catholic music is indeed growing but it is a slow process. There isn't really an infrastructure in place to support artists, such as a label (although Spirit and Song probably comes pretty close to being a label), and the mainstream Church doesn't really recognize and thus, support, this type of music. Yet there is a very dedicated (albeit small) group of musicians out there who feel called to serve God in this manner. It will continue to grow. If you want to find out more about the growing Catholic music scene, visit www.gvonline.net and read GrapeVine Magazine. We are the only magazine dedicated to Catholic performing artists. We run articles on various artists and happenings in Catholic music and review CDs (sound sample links are available on the site). Check us out!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now