An Old School Catholic Message Board

Proper Actions For Those Who Are Not Communing

PedroX

There are other blessings that occur during Mass. The deacon gets blessed before he proclaims the Gospel. Water is blessed during Mass for baptisms that occur in that context. The incense in the thurible is blessed when it's put in. People have their throats blessed on St Blase's day. Roses are blessed and distributed on the Sunday nearest Our Lady of the Rosary.

Cmom, not at the results of a sinful situation can be undone by confession alone (that's why penance helps). Think about this scenario: a divorced man remarries and has some kids by this new wife. He repents and wants to have his 'impaired communion' with the Church put right. If his kids are under 18 years old, he has a duty to be a father to them and raise them. So he and his 2nd wife have to live "like brother and sister". But his fellow parishioners don't know this. So to avoid scandalising them, he must go to another parish where he is not known, in order to receive Communion. But in his own parish his receiving communion would scandalise the parishioners.

Think about Jesus's approach with the Samaritan woman at the well. He doesn't pretend she isn't a sinner, and He doesn't shy away from the truth, but He still gets her to make an honest confession ("I have no husband.....").

Still.... to paraphrase St Paul, if this blessing at communion scandalises my brother, then I will do without it!

cmotherofpirl

I think any man who was humble enough to accept the teachings of the Church and live as brother and sister ought to be commended and held out as an example of a good a faithful Catholic. Its not a scandal to have the guts to say you are living as the Church asks you to.

THere have been many times I have been to Mass and not been able to go to Communion, while everyone else went up. So what. If I am embarrassed then it is just a bigger incentive to get my butt to Confession. I think the idea that somebody's feelings gives a priest permission to change the Mass is hogwash.

And what about EEMs? Who gives them a right to bless people in the name of the Church? THey are not consecrated by God for any such activity.

There are other blessings that occur during Mass. The deacon gets blessed before he proclaims the Gospel. Water is blessed during Mass for baptisms that occur in that context. The incense in the thurible is blessed when it's put in. People have their throats blessed on St Blase's day. Roses are blessed and distributed on the Sunday nearest Our Lady of the Rosary.

Not a single one of these blessings is done during distribution of the Body and Blood of Our Lord; the Source, Summit, and Center of Our Faith.

Also, these blessings are conducted at the direction of the celebrant, not the recipient. By this, I mean, it isn't the recipient stepping forward forward to request a blessing, but rather, the priest calling the person or the item forward to be blessed.

It is the celebrant's job to direct the course of the Mass, not the participants'.

Blessings instead of Communion, during Communion time is an obvious example of poorly formed people, acting on feelings rather than on a good understanding of the liturgy, and distorting the purpose of the Communion procession, as well as the duties of those distributing the Body and Blood of Jesus.

But, of course, I mean this in only the most loving & corrective way...not as a harsh putdown...Hope it doesn't come off sounding as such. :unsure:

Pax Christi. <><

Blessings instead of Communion, during Communion time is an obvious example of poorly formed people, acting on feelings rather than on a good understanding of the liturgy, and distorting the purpose of the Communion procession, as well as the duties of those distributing the Body and Blood of Jesus.

Okay, I'll give you that. But are you saying that the people should be denied a blessing when they go up for such a reason? If so--why did John Paul II not deny Tony Blair a blessing when he went up for said reason?

No, dUSt, I'm just saying they shouldn't try to re-invent the Mass to their own liking by using the Communion procession to receive a private blessing.

I will say, however, that an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion should refuse to bless others, because he/she has NO authority within the context of the liturgy to bestow said blessings. He is overstepping his ministerial duties if he does such, and is acting in Persona Christi, which, of course, he should not do.

I suppose what it boils down to is that the EMHC's need to be better trained, and the faithful need to be instructed prior to Holy Communion regarding the purpose of the Communion procession. People not receiving would certainly benefit by remaining in their pews and making a spiritual communion, since they would be showing more reverence toward the True Presence in this manner, than by marching up to Communion, only to refuse the Host in preference to a "blessing."

Incidentally, a funny thing happened this evening at Mass. Our deacon announced, "The Mass is ended, go in peace," and was corrected by the priest, who said, "No, the Mass isn't ended, until I give my blessing! Then he blessed all the faithful present, and the humbled but smiling deacon declared the Mass ended, etc. This is how important that final blessing is. It is a blessing where we are all blessed as members of the One Body.

If Communion is not for "individual" worship, then how can one think he deserves an "individual" blessing during Communion?

Pax Christi. <><

I feel staying in the pew when you are not worthy to receive makes a much larger spiritual statement than going up for a blessing. My children are especially astonished by this act.... and fully realize the importance of Confession by witnessing it. Regarding "Eucharistic Ministers" giving "Blessings" during Communion........ I had better stop lest I become nauseous....... I sit in the pew, I pray, I wince, I pray, I wince......... and while I'm wincing I am praying for them to put away the glass bowls, and kneel when we say "we are not worthy to receive You"............I better stop. I feel the Liturgical Nazi rising in me. :)