An Old School Catholic Message Board

screen shots

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

I need to get one still image of a movie and make it into a gif image for a school presentation. What is the easiest way for me to do this? I really can't spend money to buy any software.

crazymaine catholic

check out www.imdb.com they might have some movie stills for you. is that what you're looking for?

If you have the movie on dvd, play it full screen on your computer and take a screen shot of your comp. On a PC, I think it's something like CTRL + Print Scrn will automatically save an image of what's on your screen. It's been a while since I've used it though, I don't remember where it saves the images to or anything...I'm sure someone else knows

Brother Adam

[quote name='crazymaine catholic' date='Apr 5 2006, 06:13 PM']check out www.imdb.comĀ  they might have some movie stills for you. is that what you're looking for?
[right][snapback]937013[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No. I need to be able to take a "picture" of a movie on my computer screen while it is still and copy that picture onto a Word or Powerpoint document.

theres a program called fraps thats free that will let you take screen shots and 30 second video of anything on your screen.

website might be www.fraps.com ?

Why a .gif format? It seems like a jpeg would be much better, namely much smaller file size for a picture the size of screen.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Snarf' date='Apr 5 2006, 06:26 PM']Why a .gif format?Ā  It seems like a jpeg would be much better, namely much smaller file size for a picture the size of screen.
[right][snapback]937028[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Any format is fine. I guess I just said gif so I wouldn't get a really wierd one that would be incompatible with windows. I don't know graphic stuff all that well.

Brother Adam

*begs*

I really need it by tomorrow morning. I'm not finding much of anything so far

Here ya go:
[quote]Windows

If you want to take a picture of the entire screen, you can press the Print Screen button, often labeled PrtScrn, to capture the screen at that moment. The computer will copy it into its short-term memory, but will not create a document with the picture the same way a Macintosh system will.

To create a file with the screen shot, you will need to go to a graphic-friendly program such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, or Adobe Photoshop and press Control and V to paste the screenshot into a document.

Remember that the full-screen screen shots are taken as high-resolution bitmaps; although the quality on these pictures are good, they can take up a lot of room, so they'll probably need to be manipulated in a separate graphics program to reduce the size.[/quote]

Easy as pie! :)

that program called fraps will do what you're looking for.

www.fraps.com

download the free version (I think the only difference between the one you buy and the free one is in video recording so you should be able to take screen shots just fine)

Brother Adam

[quote name='morostheos' date='Apr 5 2006, 07:13 PM']Here ya go:
Easy as pie! :)
[right][snapback]937063[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It doesn't work for still video images though... Thanks for trying though.

Brother Adam

[quote name='rkwright' date='Apr 5 2006, 07:35 PM']that program called fraps will do what you're looking for.

www.fraps.com

download the free version (I think the only difference between the one you buy and the free one is in video recording so you should be able to take screen shots just fine)
[right][snapback]937066[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I can't figure out how to take a screen shot. I've downloaded it, pressed f10...not working.