An Old School Catholic Message Board

Community of Our Lady at Walsingham

puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

Hello All,

there's a new community that's been recently established in the UK - the Community of Our Lady at Walsingham. Their webpages are [url="http://www.vocationsgroup.org.uk/colw/"]here[/url] if you'd like to take a look. Their spirituality is Carmelite, but that's about all I know of their life.

The two members who have made their First Profession I know vaguely - they ran the Vocations Group for Women which used to exist (it's still there, but in a modified form) at Westminster Cathedral in London. I used to go to meetings there when I was an undergraduate. Quite unexpectedly I bumped into them again on the Marienfeld last August. They are both lovely ladies and really devoted to God and the Church.

Walsingham is England's national shrine to Our Lady ([url="http://www.walsingham.org.uk/romancatholic/"]link[/url]) and has been for aaaaages - since well before the Reformation in fact, which means that there are now two shrines there, one Catholic and one Anglican. For a long time the country has been referred to as "Mary's Dowry" and as part of this the Hail Mary is prayed at each Mass with the Prayers of the Faithful. It can be a bit of a shock if you've grown up with that and then move to another country where the Hail Mary is nowhere to be seen at Mass ;)

Anyway - a heads up about this community for those who might be interested.

Blessed Holy Week to everyone.

Love and prayers,

PP

This is cool. Our local Anglican Use parish is called Our Lady of Walsingham. They are very orthodox. The pastor is married and has children. I have a hard time getting used to that. :)

puellapaschalis

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Apr 10 2006, 02:54 PM']This is cool.  Our local Anglican Use parish is called Our Lady of Walsingham.  They are very orthodox.  The pastor is married and has children.  I have a hard time getting used to that.  :)
[right][snapback]941967[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I know what you mean - my old parish has a retired member of the clergy team who was brought up a Methodist, converted to Anglicanism, married, entered the Anglican clergy, had children, and then converted to Catholicism and was Ordained a few years later. Apparently his wife had a large influence on him, and in fact three of his four adult children and their spouses converted to Catholicism before he and his wife did! His Ordination was a riot, with his large family present for the occasion.

Certainly at the beginning I think the parish really needed some time to get used to the idea. Fortunately he was also aware of this, and whilst he doesn't carry out any "real" pastoral duties, he's always been very sensitive to how he is an "oddity". He's also blessed with a wonderful singing voice which he uses with gusto at Mass.

There are other parishes in that diocese where an ex-Anglican, with wife and children, is [b]the[/b] parish priest. That kind of situation must be really challenging for everyone involved. But I'm happy to say that as far as I know the bishop there is setting a great example of dealing with the issue with grace and sensitivity.

Love and prayers,

PP

[quote name='puellapaschalis' date='Apr 10 2006, 08:25 AM']There are other parishes in that diocese where an ex-Anglican, with wife and children, is [b]the[/b] parish priest. That kind of situation must be really challenging for everyone involved. But I'm happy to say that as far as I know the bishop there is setting a great example of dealing with the issue with grace and sensitivity.
[right][snapback]941996[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
At Our Lady of Walsingham Fr. Moore is [b]the[/b] parish priest. His children are grown and his wife is not active in the parish at all, which I think is mostly wise.

Here is a link to the parish if you're interested...

[url="http://www.walsingham-church.org/"]http://www.walsingham-church.org/[/url]

puellapaschalis

That is a lovely church!

I think I would agree on whether such a priest's wife should be active in the parish or not. It might depend on the family though...but yes, in general I think it would be better if she had a low profile. That can't be easy, especially if she's been used to a rather more visible role previously.

Love and prayers,

PP

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Apr 10 2006, 07:54 AM']This is cool.  Our local Anglican Use parish is called Our Lady of Walsingham.  They are very orthodox.  The pastor is married and has children.  I have a hard time getting used to that.  :)
[right][snapback]941967[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Michael, me too. However, I accept the fact of married catholic priests in these special circumstances because the church has said so and that is all I need. However, I must acknowledge that the obvious conclusion that one could draw (hypothetically speaking) is that If a young catholic man wanted to be a priest but did not agree with the church's teaching on celebacy, then the way around this issue would be to leave the catholic church (which I am not recommending) become an Anglecan, get married and become a Anglecan priest. Then, convert back to the catholic church apply for Catholic priesthood and this hypethetical person could then be accepted. It's probably not that simple but I thought it was an interesting thought. :wacko:

Ora et Labora

[quote name='phatdaddy' date='Apr 10 2006, 09:22 AM']Michael, me too.  However, I accept the fact of married catholic priests in these special circumstances  because the church has said so and that is all I need.  However, I must acknowledge that the obvious conclusion that one could draw (hypothetically speaking)  is that If a young catholic man wanted to be a priest but did not agree with the church's teaching on celebacy, then the way around this issue would be to leave the catholic church (which I am not recommending) become an Anglecan, get married and become a Anglecan priest.  Then, convert back to the catholic church apply for Catholic priesthood and this hypethetical person could then be accepted.  It's probably not that simple but I thought it was an interesting thought.  :wacko:
[right][snapback]942128[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm pretty certain that if this were the case that it wouldn't be allowed.

puellapaschalis

Actually a girlfriend and I had a Sneaky Cunning Plan to become Joint Pope which went along similar lines.

Anyway... :offtopic: My fault, mea culpa.

PP

I used to belong to a parish where the priest was an Anglican and converted. He's got a wife and several kids. A lot of people, at first, thought how wonderful that would be, his perspective on married life, etc.

But, it soon became apparent how hard it is to schedule an appt with him, because he had a lot of family time, etc. He is a wonderful and holy man. . .but I found, not as available as perhaps a priest without a family.

It's so incredibly difficult for a priest or religious as it is, to find time to pray and then have time for your apostolate or parish. Adding a family into the mix is just a major 'complication'.

Being married is a wonderful vocation. But when you are also the 'shepherd', if you will, of others' souls, it just makes for a difficult situation, as I saw in this instance, as well. I think that's why St Paul, not to mention Jesus Himself, mentions in the NT, the vocation of celibacy for the sake of the Kingdom. Our Lord knows what He's talking about ;)

Isn't He just :love: ?

• 11 months later...
puellapaschalis

This is a blast from the past, but I'd rather recycle threads :)

The Community of Our Lady of Walsingham has a new website: [url="http://www.walsinghamcommunity.org/"]http://www.walsinghamcommunity.org/[/url]
As some may already know, COLW is a new community with Carmelite roots (which also lives according to the Rule of St. Albert). The two members who are in temporary vows have been joined (it seems) by two postulants.

The new website also has much more information about COLW's spirituality and outlook (as well as why they have a hood instead of a veil! :) )

PP

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1222171' date='Mar 29 2007, 11:19 AM']This is a blast from the past, but I'd rather recycle threads :)

The Community of Our Lady of Walsingham has a new website: [url="http://www.walsinghamcommunity.org/"]http://www.walsinghamcommunity.org/[/url]
As some may already know, COLW is a new community with Carmelite roots (which also lives according to the Rule of St. Albert). The two members who are in temporary vows have been joined (it seems) by two postulants.

The new website also has much more information about COLW's spirituality and outlook (as well as why they have a hood instead of a veil! :) )

PP[/quote]

Lovely....and I REALLY like their habits!

blessings, linnie

cathoholic_anonymous

I met Sr Camilla and Sr Gabriela by chance when I was on a pilgrimage to Walsingham. I pounced on them in the coffee shop near the Shrine and we ended up having a long discussion about vocation over hot chocolate. :) Their primary apostolate is prayer, but they also aim to help young people (especially girls) with vocational discernment. To this end, they've set up a special website: [url="http://www.vocationsgroup.org.uk"]Vocations Group[/url]. The resources are extremely helpful. I especially like the testimonies.

P.S. PP, there is also a high chance that they will be joined by a third postulant - she is torn between COLW and Quidenham at the moment. I have a suspicion that she is leaning towards COLW. They're growing steadily.

puellapaschalis

Yes, back when the Vocations Group was actually two groups, one for women and one for men, I went to a couple of the VGW meetings when I was an undergraduate, that's where I met them and the other people who were part of Cornerstone. Super group - four of them (before my time) entered St. Cecilia's all at once, having met each other at VGW.

Great to hear about the possible third postulant. Super to hear of their continued growth.

PP