An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saints for Teens

YMNolan

Hey, anyone know of any good books about the lives of the saints for teenagers? I'm looking for cool ways to introduce teens to the inspirational lives of the saints. They're humans after all, and nearly all of them faced hellish struggles, whether it be with sin or illness. It doesn't get much more real than that.

Any suggestions?

oh, i've seen some really good ones lately, i'm trying to remember what they're called, i'll be back with titles and authors... :)

One really cool one is called "Young Faces of Holiness" by Ann Ball

She's written a bunch of cool saint books.

Here's a link for that one:
[url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931709556/103-9818482-7660659?v=glance&n=283155"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193170955...glance&n=283155[/url]

huh, my response was added to my previous post...must be a feature of the new phorum :idontknow:

Check above for the link!

Butler's lives of the Saints is a classic.

I've ALWAYS liked Louis de Wohl's historical novels about the saints, they are excellent.

Mark Twain's Joan of Arc is good too.

I really liked St Therese's Story of a Soul...I think her "little way" appeals to the youth, and she herself was such a youthful soul.

[quote name='YMNolan' post='954023' date='Apr 19 2006, 11:50 AM']
Hey, anyone know of any good books about the lives of the saints for teenagers? I'm looking for cool ways to introduce teens to the inspirational lives of the saints. They're humans after all, and nearly all of them faced hellish struggles, whether it be with sin or illness. It doesn't get much more real than that.

Any suggestions?
[/quote]
i just saw a book at the local Catholic bookstore that was about young saints (venerables, blesseds, and servants of God too). they open up in a little bit. i will call and ask what the title was for you.

seems like some good stuff to use ina small group setting. i greatly appreciate the help.

and thank you Red, that would be awesome.

[quote name='Tindomiel' post='955032' date='Apr 20 2006, 10:14 AM']
The biography of Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati called, "A Man of the Beatitudes" is awesome.
[/quote]
good call!

[quote name='YMNolan' post='955084' date='Apr 20 2006, 10:36 AM']and thank you Red, that would be awesome.[/quote]"Saintly Youth in Modern Times" by Joan Carol Cruz

[quote name='Old_Joe' post='954081' date='Apr 19 2006, 02:34 PM']
"115 fun facts about saints." probably meant for pre-teens and younger, but it still works
[/quote]

Thanks for this tip! I just ordered this book and the "365 Fun Facts for Catholic Kids" on Amazon. I have found with my Jr. High Youth group they are struggling with some of the basics. What can you cover in a one-hour catechism class especially if it is not reinforced at home? They didn't even have a clue on how to look up books in the bible. So that is what I am trying to teach them in a fun way and maybe it will help build that foundation they need.

On a side note: I also picked up from Group publishing "Creative Faith 45 ah-ha moments" and "5 minutes devotions" on sale for $3.50 each. Thought it was a good deal. That is where I got the prayer cross idea, which was a big hit and I will make it bigger for Easter. Prayer cross is when you slap together two ugly pieces of wood in a cross shape, cover it with chicken wire and have the kids decorate it with flowers and every flower represents a prayer. Then when you are done you turned something ugly into something beautiful, which is what Jesus did for us. Cool eh? I did it small for my group, but next year we will make a big one for Easter or Palm sunday mass and give everyone the opportunity to participate.

Sorry....rambling again.....