An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Can I Convince My Dad...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Any suggestions...

We've been bugging him since I was starting RE (Way back when...) and he is turning 53 this year I think... we don't even know if he was baptised!

I want my dad to die in a state of grace and in Holy Mother Church...

Any suggestions of things I could do to maybe inspire some interest in becoming Catholic?

(he also wants me to send him a link to the GIRM so he can read the 'Rules of Mass')

See if he is willing to go on a retreat. Often God moves greatly on these. If he agrees, find one that others in your parish reccommend in your area.

That is what clinched it for me.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Yeah... he's been a chaperone for a number of youth ministry retreats... I know that actually participating in one is totally different than just chaperoning. I could at least suggest it...

Charms717RM1

Good question. I really don't know the answer to this one because I'm still working on my dad...

But I imagine prayer would be a good place to start.

:sign: :sign: :bigpray: :sign: :sign:

And then, once they've shown a little interest and are starting to open up a little, try some subtle yet in-your-face truth :getaclue: :bash: :duel: :wedgie: :starwars: :fishslap: - yet do it gently so they don't dig their feet in. My dad's slowly yet surely making some progress now.

I'll be praying for your dad!

Charms717RM1

Thanks!

Lol, my mom went out and got a copy of Catholicism for Dummies and "conveniently" left it out on the coffee table. I got up for a midnight snack a few nights ago and I found him thumbing through some of its pages. I decided to stop and turn back because I was afraid that he'd never pick it up again if he knew I had seem him reading it, ya know- kinda like spooking a wild animal in your headlights while they're trying to eat.

Servant_of_Eve

Does he have any background in any faith?
If he is starting from scratch you have a lot of work to do
Prayer is always a good start, especially in adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.
:saint:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

He has been going to Mass with us since I don't know how long... I don't really know... I know his mom gave up going to church on sundays (I think she was baptist or something) for her husband (my grandpa). So I don't think he's really had any background other than with us...

I did give him C.S. Lewis' [i]Screwtape Letters[/i] but I don't think he got very far...

i think one of the roughest things is that you "can't" convince him.

That is on God's end, you can only make it easier.

Just be a witness of CHrist in the world. Respond to suggestions with love. Smile.

Small things like that make the biggest different in many conversion stories.

[quote name='jezic' post='954236' date='Apr 19 2006, 02:27 PM']
i think one of the roughest things is that you "can't" convince him.

That is on God's end, you can only make it easier.

Just be a witness of CHrist in the world. Respond to suggestions with love. Smile.

Small things like that make the biggest different in many conversion stories.
[/quote]
:yes:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Yeah... I hope that he gets a chance to read about the GIRM maybe that will start to get him curious about some other things about the Church... maybe I can leave my copy of [i]Catholicism for Dummies[/i] in his room...

:) I have been praying, and I definatly will continue to...

Cow of Shame

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='954165' date='Apr 19 2006, 03:38 PM']
he is turning 53 this year I think...
[/quote]

Jeeze...does your family just shovel lard into your pie-holes or are you all professional alligator wrestlers?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Cow of Shame' post='955389' date='Apr 20 2006, 04:35 PM']
Jeeze...does your family just shovel lard into your pie-holes or are you all professional alligator wrestlers?
[/quote]
:rolleyes:
No. But you never know. He drives like an idiot too...

I'm sorry, but my dad looks quite old for 53 I think...

Keyser Soze

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='954165' date='Apr 19 2006, 03:38 PM']
Any suggestions...

We've been bugging him since I was starting RE (Way back when...) and he is turning 53 this year I think... we don't even know if he was baptised!

Any suggestions of things I could do to maybe inspire some interest in becoming Catholic?

(he also wants me to send him a link to the GIRM so he can read the 'Rules of Mass')
[/quote]

Relentless torture.