Guest Lagniappe Posted April 24, 2006 Posted April 24, 2006 I was born and raised Baptist and went to a southern Baptist church most of my life. After high school I went to a Catholic University and so had the opportunity to become much more familiar with the faith. I enjoyed going to certain masses and feeling the presence of God there and I most definitely felt a strong sense of community that I love. Currently I live in Atlanta, GA and attend a Catholic Church here and have been going for a few years now. I recently ran into a friend that I went to college with and in the middle of our conversation I mentioned how much I love this particular church and that I'm not Catholic nor had any desire to convert. He was shocked. Long story short, he says that I shouldn't continue going to this church and be involved in that community unless I convert. I personally don't think I need to necessarily. I love this Church and community and I feel like I'm content in knowing that God knows my heart. I have a close relationship with God and I'm a very moral and modest person. It's not that I have anything against the Catholic Church per se (afterall I attend this church) but I really truly feel that God and I are on the same page and it would be disingenuous for me to convert when I feel like God is not requiring that of me. So anyway, my question is, is it really such a big deal that I regularly attend this church without being Catholic?
missionseeker Posted April 24, 2006 Posted April 24, 2006 Answering the real question no it's not a big deal that you attend that church. I'll let others more compeptent than I answer the other. BTW,
Tink Posted April 24, 2006 Posted April 24, 2006 [color="#ff0066"]Well, I'm no theologian, but... I don't believe there's anything really wrong with you attending that church without converting... but if you go to a Catholic Church, why not convert? Only the Catholic Church enables you to participate in the full body and blood of Christ every Sunday (or every day if that's how you roll). [/color]
jasJis Posted April 24, 2006 Posted April 24, 2006 [quote]So anyway, my question is, is it really such a big deal that I regularly attend this church without being Catholic?[/quote]If you feel God's presence and it is building you up. the Church's own rules commend you on going. It does not allow you to recieve the Eucharist without instructing you on it's signifigance. The 'catholic' who told you that you should stop attending is wrong. It's God's grace that moves the free will to draw you closer. Purposely seperating yourself from graces you recognize and the organization itslef acknowledges is rightful to give you, seems counterproductive. But if I'm wrong, some catholic here will set you straight.
Proud2BCatholic139 Posted April 24, 2006 Posted April 24, 2006 So you can recieve the sacraments especially Holy Communion and Confession! There are 2 reasons!
Noel's angel Posted April 24, 2006 Posted April 24, 2006 What's the point in buying a car if you aren't going to drive it?? If you love the Church so much, you will understand that Jesus founded it, that He wants you to be a part of it. When you are a Catholic you receive the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ. What better reason could there be? More to the point, what reason would there be not to accept this wonderful gift?? Jesus said that anyone who eat His flesh and drank His blood will have eternal life. If you love someone you will commit to them. It's the same with the Church. God would not ask someone not to receive His grace (think of Saint Paul's Letter to the Galatians). Don't stop attending Mass. God is always asking us to reach further to Him and become closer to Him, and even if you don't feel ready to join the Church now, keep it in mind, because apart from being the right thing to do, it's also the logical thing to do. God bless.
toledo_jesus Posted April 24, 2006 Posted April 24, 2006 you may continue to attend, as long as you know that you can never be completely part of the community. The Sacrament of Communion is only for Catholics who believe everything the Church teaches. In that sense, you will never be fully integrated into the community until you convert. Communion is the ultimate expression of the Catholic community, as we receive the actual Body and Blood of Christ. Keep going, and maybe God will guide you to convert.
Brother Adam Posted April 24, 2006 Posted April 24, 2006 As others said you can continue to attend, we encourage you to do so, but you can never be a part of the full sacramental life unless you are a member of the Catholic Church. It is important because while you hear the Word of God proclaimed, you are missing receiving the life of Jesus Christ in you. What you already experience now becomes fuller, and you will experience more joy knowing that you have the full hope of heaven and are part of the sacramental economy. If you have a Catechism of the Catholic Church I would encourage you to read the sections on the necessity of being a member of the Church and on the economy of grace.
homeschoolmom Posted April 24, 2006 Posted April 24, 2006 So that you can learn the secret handshake that will get you into heaven.
shortnun Posted April 24, 2006 Posted April 24, 2006 Hi Lagniappe... I lived in ATL for a number of years (12) until I moved away for college. My family still lives there an enjoys the faith life. The story you share with us reminds me a lot of my father's faith journey...... worked in Catholic hospitals, reads Thomas Aquinas, goes to Mass nearly every week.... but won't go so far as to "convert." Certainly both the faith that my father is living, and the faith life you describe, is a testament to the people who are "church" around you. I second all of the comments made thus far. (Except for HSmom's secret handshake comment. I bet if you googled "secret catholic handshake" you could figure it out ) Please continue to go to Church... become involved in your parish or the diocese. Live out what you believe. And if that leads you to "convert", then it the good and holy will of God. And if not, well okay. We're not going to be the ones who judge you in the end, He is. May you continue to find your heart being pulled ever closer to His.
jezic Posted April 24, 2006 Posted April 24, 2006 short answer, no it is not such a big deal to continue to attend there. It is probably a good thing. I think a big question would be if you have this relationship with Jesus, what would be the reasons for not converting? (there might be some valid ones that you will need to weigh and consider, but i mean more just brining them to mind.) There is a huge difference in praying before Jesus and receiving him. It is good that you are going there already though.
MichaelFilo Posted April 25, 2006 Posted April 25, 2006 I'm going to have to say it, because, well, I care about your soul, alot. You know, if you go to a Catholic Church, then you ought to be Catholic; you'd have no second thoughts of calling yourself a methodist if you attended a methodist Church. Except, to be a Catholic is a REAL transformation, and it certainly isn't the same as being a baptist or a methodist, or an episcopalean, because well it entails some very special things, like certain beliefs, especially about what Christ taught as regards to His Body and His Blood. Alongside that, you'll enter into full communion with a Church you already are baptized into (supposing you are validly baptized), so you already have a place there, all you gotta do it make it your home. Is it neccessary that you convert? Well, I tell you what brother, it's the same as if an athiest came into a baptist Church but never felt he needed to convert because he felt like he too wanted to do good for humanity, and that is cool. Is he seriously putting his salvation at risk? yeah. So, when you come to a Catholic Church, and you don't join in the Faith and Mass, it's like comming in and saying, well at least we believe in Christ, right? But we all know that Christ only had one teaching about everything, and you know too that if Catholics got it right, you are obligated to enter the Church; the only other explanation is if you disagree with the Church, then one ought to ask why you attend at all. So, your friend makes a point, although he doesn't articulate it well enough. You are always welcome into any Catholic Church, but God isn't a God of half-committment, right? God bless, Mikey
Mercy me Posted April 25, 2006 Posted April 25, 2006 Ironially, the answer to your question is in your screen name! To attend mass and not partake in the sacraments... You have no comprehension of what you are missing! Confession is so very difficult for me. But, the graces received are indescribable. If is so humbling to walk into the confessional say aloud your sins and then hear the words of absolution. I swear that sometimes I feel so squeeky clean when I leave that I am sure that I am floating out of there! I know I just said that it is indescribable and then I tried. But, if you ask others on this board they will say the same thing only better. I don't think anyone can truely describe the feeling when you walk out of confession knowing that your sins are forgiven. Someone once asked me why I am Catholic. It was for a youth event and everyone else said that it was because of their family or somethng to that effect. When I was rung up and asked I had an immediate one word answer, the Eucharist. You stated that you felt His presence in the Church. Now imagine the intimacy that you feel when you receive Him within you! It is greater that your wildest imagination! Again no words exist to discribe it. After receiving is my favorite time to just relax and revel in His presence. His presence is so strong. All this said, you alone know what God is calling you to do. If he is calling you to enter the church then He will put that on your heart. Continue attending mass and don't listen to anyone who says that you shouldn't. That person is wrong. When the time is right perhaps He will lead into the church.
jswranch Posted April 26, 2006 Posted April 26, 2006 1. No you should not stop going to mass. Yes, you should stop receiving the Eucharist. 2. Need to convert? a. You will receive the sacrement of confirmation. It is a special laying on of hands and annointing with oil. See the Catechism of the Catholic Church for further info. b. To further bind yourself to the truth and profess the same beliefs as the church that brought you the Eucharist.
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted April 26, 2006 Posted April 26, 2006 I think people who think they do not have to convert, is a real big problem in the church today, becuase many people see the Church as just another "church".
Mercy me Posted April 26, 2006 Posted April 26, 2006 [quote name='jswranch' post='960895' date='Apr 25 2006, 08:06 PM'] 1. No you should not stop going to mass. Yes, you should stop receiving the Eucharist. 2. Need to convert? a. You will receive the sacrement of confirmation. It is a special laying on of hands and annointing with oil. See the Catechism of the Catholic Church for further info. b. To further bind yourself to the truth and profess the same beliefs as the church that brought you the Eucharist. [/quote] Good point on confirmation. The gifts of the Holy Spirit are incredible. They give you the strength to go out and live the life tht we are called to live as Christians. I did not see where it said that communion was being received. If you are receiving as a non-Catholic you should stop
franciscanheart Posted April 26, 2006 Posted April 26, 2006 So many can say it better than I (yes, even homeschoolmom haha) so I'm just here to welcome!
cmotherofpirl Posted April 26, 2006 Posted April 26, 2006 [quote name='Lagniappe' post='958631' date='Apr 23 2006, 11:26 PM'] I was born and raised Baptist and went to a southern Baptist church most of my life. After high school I went to a Catholic University and so had the opportunity to become much more familiar with the faith. I enjoyed going to certain masses and feeling the presence of God there and I most definitely felt a strong sense of community that I love. Currently I live in Atlanta, GA and attend a Catholic Church here and have been going for a few years now. I recently ran into a friend that I went to college with and in the middle of our conversation I mentioned how much I love this particular church and that I'm not Catholic nor had any desire to convert. He was shocked. Long story short, he says that I shouldn't continue going to this church and be involved in that community unless I convert. I personally don't think I need to necessarily. I love this Church and community and I feel like I'm content in knowing that God knows my heart. I have a close relationship with God and I'm a very moral and modest person. It's not that I have anything against the Catholic Church per se (afterall I attend this church) but I really truly feel that God and I are on the same page and it would be disingenuous for me to convert when I feel like God is not requiring that of me. So anyway, my question is, is it really such a big deal that I regularly attend this church without being Catholic? [/quote] Welcome I'm glad you feel at home in the church. As to your question, your status now in Church is honored guest. You can visit, watch, listen, and learn, but to be a participating part of the family, ya have to join. You are standing outside the pool and watching the rest of us swim. or it would be like dating someone you love, but never marrying her. : Its nice enough in itself, but not much commitment. : Feelings are a chemical reaction in your brain, and they come and go with unceasing regularity. Instead of considering your feelings, ask yourself "is this the Church founded by Jesus Christ?" "Is this the Church where Jesus Christ is present in the Eucharist every single day?" If it is, then you join because its the right thing to do. In the mean time, enjoy your Church.
Era Might Posted April 26, 2006 Posted April 26, 2006 [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s=&showtopic=48251&view=findpost&p=896435"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...ndpost&p=896435[/url]
Recommended Posts