An Old School Catholic Message Board

Michael O'Brien!

benedictaj

:drool: Over the last few days, I have read [i]'Strangers and Sojourners' [/i] [i]'Father Elijah' [/i] and at the moment I'm reading [i]'Plague Journal' [/i] But they are so good!! Why haven't I heard of them/read them earlier? I don't ordinarily read fiction (except the likes of J. R. R. Tolkien, C.S Lewis etc ;) ) but WOW!!!! I am soooo impressed!! hehehe!

Any other fans? any comments? :P: :topsy:

My favourite of the books out the three I mentioned above is [i]'Father Elijah'[/i] probably because I like the combination of biblical imagery/allegory with fiction. I think its interesting that I can actually imagine the world he is presenting in the novel. I like the characters (the goodness, and humanity of Fr Elijah, the beautiful little Brother 'Ass' <Enoch> the woman, Anna etc ) Although it is a little unnerving that the world could very possibly [b]be[/b] like that in another 10-15 years time... but yeah, its great! What do all of you think??

I liked Father Elijah but haven't read any others yet. My wife and Sr. Lauren are hugh fans though! Sophia House, I believe, is his newest.

[quote name='memtherose' post='959943' date='Apr 25 2006, 01:31 AM']
:drool: Over the last few days, I have read [i]'Strangers and Sojourners' [/i] [i]'Father Elijah' [/i] and at the moment I'm reading [i]'Plague Journal' [/i] But they are so good!! Why haven't I heard of them/read them earlier? I don't ordinarily read fiction (except the likes of J. R. R. Tolkien, C.S Lewis etc ;) ) but WOW!!!! I am soooo impressed!! hehehe!

Any other fans? any comments? :P: :topsy:

My favourite of the books out the three I mentioned above is [i]'Father Elijah'[/i] probably because I like the combination of biblical imagery/allegory with fiction. I think its interesting that I can actually imagine the world he is presenting in the novel. I like the characters (the goodness, and humanity of Fr Elijah, the beautiful little Brother 'Ass' <Enoch> the woman, Anna etc ) Although it is a little unnerving that the world could very possibly [b]be[/b] like that in another 10-15 years time... but yeah, its great! What do all of you think??
[/quote]
dude plague journal is freaky. Have you read Eclipse olf the Sun? That is excellent. they are awesome books

[quote name='scardella' post='960031' date='Apr 25 2006, 08:13 AM']
I enjoyed Father Elijah...
Haven't read anything else he's written, though.
[/quote] Very good book :) I have all the others except for the newest, Sophia House, which is the prequel to Father Elijah, so I want to get it. :) I have to start on some others. I have too many books . LOL
[quote]Luthien Posted Today, 12:47 PM
My boyfriend is pretty close to his family, at least he was a year ago. I want to meet them.[/quote]

cool :)

[quote]goldbug16 Posted Today, 03:46 PM
Isnt he that guy at Notre Dame?[/quote]
I think you are confusing him w/ Ralph McInerney

[quote name='Luthien' post='960301' date='Apr 26 2006, 04:47 AM']
My boyfriend is pretty close to his family, at least he was a year ago. I want to meet them.
[/quote]
My parents know his wife's family. ^_^

[quote name='goldbug16' post='960604' date='Apr 25 2006, 01:46 PM']
Isnt he that guy at Notre Dame?
[/quote]
Different guy.

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='luciana' post='960767' date='Apr 25 2006, 04:14 PM']
Very good book :) I have all the others except for the newest, Sophia House, which is the prequel to Father Elijah, so I want to get it. :) I have to start on some others. I have too many books . LOL
cool :)
I think you are confusing him w/ Ralph McInerney
[/quote]

Or Fr. Richard McBrien :wacko:

MissScripture

[quote name='jezic' post='960291' date='Apr 25 2006, 11:41 AM']
is there a singer by the same name?

is it the same person?
[/quote]

Well, I know there is a singer Michael O'Brien. I don't know if they're the same person, though. I was wondering the same thing.

This Michael O'Brien doesn't sing....at least, not in public. :) I'm pretty sure he is just an author (albeit a very good one!!) and he is an artist, some of his works are icons. :love:

• 3 years later...

Can someone recommend a good Michael O'Brien book to me? I'm rereading Island of the World, which is the only thing I've read by him, and I absolutely LOVE it. Such an awesome book. I wish it wasn't borrowed, I'd probably read it every year! If you haven't read it, and like Michael O'Brien, you MUST read it. And if you don't think/don't know if you like Michael O'Brien, read it anyway! ^_^

Anyway, I'm think about getting Strangers or Sojourners, Eclipse of the Sun, or Sophia House, mostly because I found them for pretty cheap prices. Thoughts?

I've heard a lot about Fr. Elijah, and it didn't appeal to me that much... it sounded kind of Armageddon-y which isn't really my thing, but if you think it's better than the others you can try to convince me!

Edited by zunshynn

[quote name='Luthien' date='25 April 2006 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1145987257' post='960301']
My boyfriend is pretty close to his family, at least he was a year ago. I want to meet them.
[/quote]

HAH! I married that "boyfriend". :lol: