An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Founding Of A Church

matthew1618

[quote name='Lil Red' post='80848' date='Dec 26 2003, 02:12 PM']
Books With Different Perspectives on Roman Catholicism

Boettner, Lorraine. 1985.
Roman Catholicism. Phillipsburg, NJ: Presbyterian and Reformed Pub. Co.
[/quote]

Good to see P'burg being represented on the PhatMass Boards.

Edited by matthew1618

Groo the Wanderer

Can't resist. Have to tell my daughter's story...

My wife is AoG so needless to say when God blessed us with our daughter, we had a...discussion. We agreed to expose her to both faiths, attend both churches, and when she reached the age of reason, she would decide on which faith she would follow. I know this sounds contrary to Church teachings, but I had strong faith and I just knew my babygirl would choose correctly.

When she was six, our daughter announced to me she decided to choose the Catholic Church. I questioned her thoroughly about why, since my wife would no doubt do the same. She had no solid answers other than 'it just feels right'. Trusting in God, I told her to keep searching until she had some solid answers and reasons.

A year later she came back to me with the same proclamation: she wanted to be Catholic. This time when I questioned her, she had very good answers: the Church is closer to God, it follows the Bible better, she learns more there, and she felt much closer to God at Mass than at p&w services in the AoG church.

She turns eleven this week and has since joined the youth choir and is an altar server. She finally told my wife her decision a couple of months ago (she's kinda chicken) and is working on getting her to fully accept it.

Next, we work on my wife together! :ninja:

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1121432' date='Nov 16 2006, 12:14 AM']
Can't resist. Have to tell my daughter's story...

My wife is AoG so needless to say when God blessed us with our daughter, we had a...discussion. We agreed to expose her to both faiths, attend both churches, and when she reached the age of reason, she would decide on which faith she would follow. I know this sounds contrary to Church teachings, but I had strong faith and I just knew my babygirl would choose correctly.

When she was six, our daughter announced to me she decided to choose the Catholic Church. I questioned her thoroughly about why, since my wife would no doubt do the same. She had no solid answers other than 'it just feels right'. Trusting in God, I told her to keep searching until she had some solid answers and reasons.

A year later she came back to me with the same proclamation: she wanted to be Catholic. This time when I questioned her, she had very good answers: the Church is closer to God, it follows the Bible better, she learns more there, and she felt much closer to God at Mass than at p&w services in the AoG church.

She turns eleven this week and has since joined the youth choir and is an altar server. She finally told my wife her decision a couple of months ago (she's kinda chicken) and is working on getting her to fully accept it.

Next, we work on my wife together! :ninja:
[/quote]

Sweet!

Bruce,

We spoke about the AG eccesiology and growth in my protestant eccesiology class (*protestant bible college, not a catholic one) and in our experience in the class, and from talking to numerous pastors whom do not agree on most issues; the reason for the growth is that they have no beliefs. You believe whatever the individual wants to, the churches call themselves AG, but are just free church in nature. Non-denom. So proving that it is not the AG, it is autonomy that is growing.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1122218' date='Nov 17 2006, 02:56 AM']
Bruce,

We spoke about the AG eccesiology and growth in my protestant eccesiology class (*protestant bible college, not a catholic one) and in our experience in the class, and from talking to numerous pastors whom do not agree on most issues; the reason for the growth is that they have no beliefs. You believe whatever the individual wants to, the churches call themselves AG, but are just free church in nature. Non-denom. So proving that it is not the AG, it is autonomy that is growing.
[/quote]Non-denom churches are extremely sectarian. They may develop in two ways -- a number of folks get together and hire a pastor who agrees with their slant on the Scriptures, or a pastor may start his own church and attract a like-thinking congregation.

My Protestant neice teaches for a non-denom church-school and they have a very rigid curriculum, including specific orders to the teachers about how and what to teach regarding religion the Bible.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1122218' date='Nov 17 2006, 02:56 AM']
Bruce,

[/quote]Just FYI, Bruce hasn't been here for almost 2-1/2 years. :ninja: