An Old School Catholic Message Board

iPod headphones

philothea

philothea

I know a lot of people here use iPods, and Era complained about the included earbuds, so maybe this will be interesting. My left earbud was starting to fade out. I went to an Apple store to see what I could find.

I don't especially like the included earbuds, which is just as well, because Apple doesn't sell replacements. (I find this odd!) Instead, Apple has in-ear headphones for $40, with a little case, and three sizes of cups. That's what they guy working at the Apple store used, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Unfortunately, [i]Apple had no real instructions how to use the things[/i]!! :maddest: Just: "Stick them in your ears. Use a different size if it seems too lose or tight." :idontknow:

So, on my first try -- shove them in the ear. Woooo... lotsa bass. Very nice sound. Really crisp compared to the other headphones I've used. But two things -- they work like earplugs, good in that it blocks out ambient noise, so I can keep the volume down, but bad in that it amplifies any sound inside my head, and rubbing agains the cord makes a rumbling noise. Hrmn.

Next, I try running with them, and they slide out constantly. As soon as they come loose, the sound is HORRIBLE. Blurgh. When I got home I checked Apple's site, to see if they say anything about how to use these things. Nope. But! The comment/review section in the Apple Store has a zillion comments. Half five-star rated, half one-star, depending on whether the buyer could figure out how to use them. Fortunately, a few people described how to stick them in right (lift ear, twist and shove). Now they work great... though I haven't gone running yet. Still, these feel pretty stable.

Still get some noise when my hair touches the wires. We'll see how annoying that is. I may buy some cheapie non-Apple buds just for running. For writing (my main use) these will be great.

philothea

[quote name='Akalyte' post='973572' date='May 6 2006, 11:18 AM']
i cant stand earbuds!!!!!Ughh
[/quote]
Hahaha. I [i]have[/i] gone running with studio headphones, but they get kinda sweaty. ;)

[quote name='philothea' post='973580' date='May 6 2006, 11:26 AM']
Hahaha. I [i]have[/i] gone running with studio headphones, but they get kinda sweaty. ;)
[/quote]

i was thinking of doing that but, the whole sweat thing would be annoying. lol

I run through the sony earbuds with the volume control slider on the wire like water. Those things are the best.

Wearing big headphones makes me look like a transformer robot lol.

philothea

Oooo, I'm already spoiled.

After running today, I left the iPod and new in-ear headphones in the car. They're still there.

So I grabbed the nearby Sony headset, from an exotic, spendy, high-end Walkman... to plug into the iBook, and [i]bleah[/i]. So dull and flat. And I have to turn the volume way up too.

I guess I like the in-ear headphones!

I bought the in-ear recently, and I would recommend them. I've had them for a few months now and one side has started to grow a little more faint than the other. For now it's a minor annoyance, but if it gets worse it could constitute replacement. Still, at such a comparably low price, I'll probably just buy the same headphones again.

[quote name='Diamond' post='976662' date='May 9 2006, 06:30 PM']
I bought the in-ear recently, and I would recommend them. I've had them for a few months now and one side has started to grow a little more faint than the other. For now it's a minor annoyance, but if it gets worse it could constitute replacement. Still, at such a comparably low price, I'll probably just buy the same headphones again.
[/quote]
That's what happened to my original earbuds. I thought my hearing was starting to fail! I have heard that problem is pretty common, unfortunately. :ohno:

[quote name='dUSt' post='976697' date='May 9 2006, 06:58 PM']
[img]http://www.bose.com/images/home_entertainment/products/p_qc2_l_na.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
Well...

I wouldn't have to worry about sunscreen on my ears anymore. :cool:

(I really did run for a while using something very similar... but it was real early, on a very empty road. The farmers all think I'm :crazy: anyway.)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='philothea' post='975877' date='May 8 2006, 11:43 PM']
Oooo, I'm already spoiled.

After running today, I left the iPod and new in-ear headphones in the car. They're still there.

So I grabbed the nearby Sony headset, from an exotic, spendy, high-end Walkman... to plug into the iBook, and [i]bleah[/i]. So dull and flat. And I have to turn the volume way up too.

I guess I like the in-ear headphones!
[/quote]

Yah, I bought some street-style headphones a few weeks ago, and the sound quality was terrible. It wasn't so bad on the train and stuff, probably because the bad quality gets drowned out by the environment, but inside it was no good. And then the stupid things got caught on a turnstyle thingamajig at the train station, and I could only hear out of one side.

So now I have no headphones. I think I'm gonna try the in-ear headphones, but the ones that wrap fully around your ear, so they don't fall out...

Guest T-Bone

I want some of these...

[url="http://www.powerpage.org/archives/2005/11/review_custom_f.html"]http://www.powerpage.org/archives/2005/11/...w_custom_f.html[/url]

indescribable

i have small ears. i can't have the ipod things in my ears for more than an hour before they start to hurt. if i ever get an ipod or an offbrand i'll get some nicer bose headphones or something else.

Birgitta Noel

I have an earlier version of the Plane Quiet headphones that look and perform just as well as the Bose ones do. And they were less than $80!

The company has a new version out now, check it at [url="http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/planequietnc6headphones.htm"]http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarri...6headphones.htm[/url]

ThyWillBeDone

I love music, kind of audiophile, I have two great sets of headphones, for those who don't like earbuds i recommend the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro - they run you about 100dollars

I also got a new pair of Earbuds for my birthday they are made by Shure, they make the best but they can be pricey, they have several models. I just got one of the better pairs the E4c - they are great but they cost almost 300, they have two cheaper pairs that are also good , one at around 180 the other at 100

God Bless