An Old School Catholic Message Board

Theology

Circle_Master

Circle_Master

You have traditions. How do you know which are infallible and placed in the church by Christ, and which are not. How do you know which interpretations are correct on Scripture passages as well. I have not seen any Catholic adamant on any Scripture passage's interpretation except for Mt 16:18, and have seen extremely diverse interpretations on other passages such as Genesis 1.

According to Catholic teaching Tradition is one of the sources along with Sacred Scripture of Divine Revelation; Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition form one sacred deposit of the word of God, which is committed to the Church.

Scripture is the inspired Word of God. Tradition is the ongoing process by which the Church hands on its faith in God's Word to others.

The Church as community of the faithful, understanding herself as the work of the Holy Spirit,is confident that the 'Spirit of truth' will lead her 'to the complete truth.' (Jn 16:13). herefore she takes to heart her commission to preserv and hand on what she has recognised as her traditions in the Holy Spirit.

There is another part of your question regarding interpretation of Scripture, I think,but I hope this goes part of the way in answering your first question.