An Old School Catholic Message Board

Has anyone?

SisterAli

SisterAli

[url="http://www.catholic-church.org/hermitage/"]Sisters of Mary Immaculate and St. Philomena[/url]

I came across it and I've never heard or seen it before.

The Sisters Of Mary Immaculate & St. Philomena are a Traditional Latin Rite Catholic Community of Contemplative Nuns, founded in 1992 on the West Coast of Ireland. The nuns live a contemplative life of PRAYER, ADORATION OF THE MOST BLESSED SACRAMENT AND PENANCE dedicated totally to Our Blessed Lady.

the lords sheep

As Italians say, BO? (it's a funny little expressions that basically means, haven't got a clue...)

But they seem pretty cool. Maybe we just haven't heard of them cuz their in Ireland?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Never heard of them, but I am curious to know if they are in communion with Rome. They place a lot of emphasis on the Council of Trent and their mission to return the "Catholic Church to the Traditional Catholic Faith and Doctrine." Looks wonderful, but also smells kinda fishy. But if they are in Communion with Rome, wonderful!

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='976367' date='May 9 2006, 02:36 PM']
Never heard of them, but I am curious to know if they are in communion with Rome. They place a lot of emphasis on the Council of Trent and their mission to return the "Catholic Church to the Traditional Catholic Faith and Doctrine." Looks wonderful, but also smells kinda fishy. But if they are in Communion with Rome, wonderful!
[/quote]

I have corresponded with Sr Irene Gibson, the foundress. She has everything in place, just no sisters and no priest. Tridentine priests are even harder to come by in Ireland than here in the U.S.

She doesn't "take sides." I was under the erroneous impression that she was schismatic, but she isn't. She has assured me of that. Her greatest frustration is that no one is willing to live the life, despite the fact that they get the Tridentine Mass once a month (or something like that). Everyone wants everything to be in place--priest and everything. News flash: you've got to have a community before you can convince a priest to come and help.

What she's talking about as far as returning to "traditional faith and doctrine" has to do with some of the horrific errors found in the church today. If you want a link to a site showing women priests celebrating the Novus Ordo, just let me know.

Blessings,
Gemma

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Gemma' post='976376' date='May 9 2006, 01:44 PM']
I have corresponded with Sr Irene Gibson, the foundress. She has everything in place, just no sisters and no priest. Tridentine priests are even harder to come by in Ireland than here in the U.S.

She doesn't "take sides." I was under the erroneous impression that she was schismatic, but she isn't. She has assured me of that. Her greatest frustration is that no one is willing to live the life, despite the fact that they get the Tridentine Mass once a month (or something like that). Everyone wants everything to be in place--priest and everything. News flash: you've got to have a community before you can convince a priest to come and help.

What she's talking about as far as returning to "traditional faith and doctrine" has to do with some of the horrific errors found in the church today. If you want a link to a site showing women priests celebrating the Novus Ordo, just let me know.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]
Oh, no need to show me those pictures!! Yuk. Thanks for the clarification though! I really do think it is wonderful that there is a community like this one! I have seen far more than my fair share of screwed up 'versions' of V2 and Novus Ordo Masses. I can understand the troubles with this community (with getting vocations and such). I will keep them in my prayers :) Thanks again for this info!

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Faustina' post='976813' date='May 9 2006, 07:04 PM']
Do they practice flagellation?
[/quote]
that'd be pretty sweet. I've heard that the FI sisters are into the discipline. :cool:

[quote name='Faustina' post='976813' date='May 9 2006, 08:04 PM']
Do they practice flagellation?
[/quote]

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this??? Or what does it mean.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Well, physically 'abusing' the flesh... to make the flesh subordinate to the will.

"Flagellation"--a/k/a "the Discipline"--was usually done in commemoration of Our Lord's scourging.

The Ellisville, MO, Passionists, still practice the Discipline.

If blood is drawn, something is terribly wrong with the way it's being done.

I'll email Sr. Irene and ask.

Blessings,
Gemma

• 2 weeks later...
brandelynmarie

Who are the FI sisters?

Oh! And in the book [i]Unveiled[/i] There is part of a chapter that talks about these Passionist nuns & how they take the discipline...but I don't remember how often....

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='985331' date='May 19 2006, 02:07 PM']
Who are the FI sisters?

Oh! And in the book [i]Unveiled[/i] There is part of a chapter that talks about these Passionist nuns & how they take the discipline...but I don't remember how often....
[/quote]

Are we talking of the Franciscans of the Immaculate?

Isn't [i]Unveiled[/i] the book by Cheryl Reed? We had a discussion about it on one of my lists, and we thought it was done rather naively. I think there was a shallow understanding of the subject matter. If someone asked me to write a book about something I was only 'fascinated' with, I'd do my homework first. :detective:

Just my 2 cents.

Blessings,
Gemma