An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate

the lords sheep

the lords sheep

I met a Sister from the order of the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate today at mass. In my broken Italian we were able to communicate just her order's name and that they were Fransican. We didn't have to talk more because she had to get on a bus.. :(
But anyway, this is the order, and here is the link (for the english site): [url="http://www.marymediatrix.com/rel_life/sisters.shtml"]Fransican Sisters of the Immaculate[/url]

Any thoughts? Has anyone discerned with them? They seem pretty cool.
Peace in Christ,
Lauren

I knew of a young lady in Australia who was going on retreat with them. I've not heard back from her. However, they do look very orthodox, and follow St. Max Kolbe's spirituality.

Blessings,
Gemma

Laudate_Dominum

I spent a good bit of time with the Friars of the Immaculate and I know some stuff about the sisters.. some of my friends (including an ex) discerned that order. I like them a lot. :)

franciscanheart

I didn't have a lot of time to look at their site (dropping quickly by phatmass before I resume my activities) but from what I see they look like a beautiful community. I have a soft spot for Franciscans. :love:

LilyofSaintMaria

Yes, they are an excellent order! Newly founded, in the 80's, I think. Both the Sisters and Friars are in the media apostolate. They are a missionary order and follow the Kolbe spirituality. Just write them to send you some information via postal mail. That's what I did and I received a couple books and leaflets about themselves. Also, their habit has gotta be one of my favorites! :) They were also recently raised to Canonical rank. Is that what they call it? Not sure. :) But they are fully recognized as a branch of the Franciscans by the Pope. Need to check them out!

Bernadette

[quote name='LilyofSaintMaria' post='978136' date='May 11 2006, 07:53 AM']
Yes, they are an excellent order! Newly founded, in the 80's, I think. Both the Sisters and Friars are in the media apostolate. They are a missionary order and follow the Kolbe spirituality. Just write them to send you some information via postal mail. That's what I did and I received a couple books and leaflets about themselves. Also, their habit has gotta be one of my favorites! :) They were also recently raised to Canonical rank. Is that what they call it? Not sure. :) But they are fully recognized as a branch of the Franciscans by the Pope. Need to check them out!

Bernadette
[/quote]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but usually the "recognition status" goes like this:

After ten years and growth: diocesan right

Next ten years and continued growth: pontifical right

The former means they answer to the diocesan bishop. The latter means they answer to the Holy See.

Blessings,
Gemma

franciscanheart

[quote name='LilyofSaintMaria' post='978136' date='May 11 2006, 06:53 AM']

Bernadette
[/quote]
Yeah all Franciscan habits are dope. Those look just like all the others I've seen. Definitely one of my favs!

magnificat

[quote name='Gemma' post='978180' date='May 11 2006, 07:37 AM']
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but usually the "recognition status" goes like this:

After ten years and growth: diocesan right

Next ten years and continued growth: pontifical right

The former means they answer to the diocesan bishop. The latter means they answer to the Holy See.

[/quote]

That sounds about right but there are exceptions where certain orders get "recognized" faster...

Theologian in Training

I discerned with them on and off for a year before deciding on diocesan. The order itself is interesting and their charism is as well. I saw a lot of great things in that order and some other things that seemed a little strange. Either way, that was the Franciscan monks, I don't know anything about the sisters, except that the monks would say Mass for them.

Edited by Theologian in Training

the lords sheep

For those of you that discerned with them- Can you tell me anything about their charism?

Either way, I think I will contact them when I get back to the US...

Thanks everyone!

brendan1104

[url="http://www.marymediatrix.com/rel_life/sisters.shtml"]http://www.marymediatrix.com/rel_life/sisters.shtml[/url]