An Old School Catholic Message Board

Large vs. small, new vs. established

stlmom

I see many discussions and questions on this forum about active, contemplative and everything in between when it comes to searching out religious orders. Anybody want to talk about some other aspects when searching for a prospective community?

All important aspects being equal (prayer, common life, faithfulness to the Magisterium), do the numbers of members in a given community matter to your discernment? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being part of small (less than 50 members) over large communities, especially international communities with sisters from a variety of countries? Do you think it is difficult for large orders to maintain a sense of family?

Would the thought of being the first new vocation in years (for some communities) scare you or would you feel as though you were part of a new revival of that community? Has anyone on the phorum decided against discerning with a community because they might have been the only one in formation had they entered?

Finally, how far away from home have you (would you) travel to seriously discern with a community?

magnificat

Hmm...lots of good questions there! :)

[quote]how far away from home have you (would you) travel to seriously discern with a community?[/quote]
The furthest I've gone is halfway across the US. For me it was easier to start with communities closer since it was less expensive to travel and I really wasn't sure what I was looking for yet. But if I had information about a community I thought I was being called to and that being confirmed in speaking with the community, I think I would go just about anywhere...after all, if God's calling, He'll provide a way to get there! :)

[quote]do the numbers of members in a given community matter to your discernment? [/quote]
Yes and no. It matters to me personally in that it would be hard for me to see myself fitting in with a very large community, particularly one that was international and the sisters could be assigned to another country. It's just not something that really jives with me. However, I didn't really limit myself based on the size of the community when I was searching, mainly because it didn't seem as important as finding a charism that matched who I am.

[quote]Do you think it is difficult for large orders to maintain a sense of family?[/quote]
I think the sense of family and size depends a lot on how the community is arranged geographically. For example, if it's a large community that is primarily in one geographic area, then it's probably easier for the sisters to see each other and interact more than if they are spread out across the US.

while they are important questions, i think they are secondary. If God has called you he will find a way for everything to work out, even if you don't like the number of members in a community.

Laurentina1975

I agree. However, it really depends on where you feel "at home" and what your heart tells you in your relationship with Jesus.

How can you best grow in your relationship with Jesus? That's the question I have asked during my search.

Do you think it is difficult for large orders to maintain a sense of family?

I think that there are international communities out there that may live all over, in smaller houses. It's important to experience that as well, not just a visit, per say, to a Motherhouse. Visit many smaller houses as well (if at all possible). There can be 4-6 people living in one house, but you need to really look at how they live community in a smaller house. If perhaps you don't see community being lived out (all the Sisters attending prayer, Mass in common, as a community, etc.), then question, there may be a good answer (if this doesn't correspond with your heart and how you are called to grow in your relationship with Jesus), question and discern whether it is a good fit. It may be, as well, that it could be that certain house, so this is why it is important to visit several smaller communities within one larger community. Just because they are a larger community, doesn't necesarily mean that it may be a fit, if you are looking for "family". Each community has different charisms, etc.

Hope this helped.

Edited by Laurentina1975

In answer to the original questions:

[b]Does community size influence my discernment?[/b]
Yes, though not conciously. I am definately attracted to small, homey communities, not large communities of hundreds of sisters. I never articulated this or even knew it until I visited the [url="http://www.stjudemonastery.org"]Dominican Monastery of St. Jude[/url], where rather than the doubts and turmoil I experienced elsewhere, I was simply overwhelmed with beauty and love. They are rather small--to say "under 50" would be quite wild, as in fact the seven nuns fit quite easily into the parlor. But how much history, love, and faith in God these sisters have!

[b]Does novitiate size influence my discernment?[/b]
The monastery hasn't had any novices for a long time. It's true, I wouldn't want to enter and be the only one under 50 forever, but I don't think that will happen. Another girl is making her aspirancy this summer (as am I), and in this time of renewal for the Church and for religious life I have great hope that St. Joseph will send vocations to their community now!

So while I wouldn't want to be the only one, that may be the case for a time, even for a long time. God's will be done! On the other hand, the idea of a postulant class of 18 definately does not appeal to me, so that probably influenced my discernment.

Oh, and I am very excited about being part of the renewal for the community!!

[b]Does distance from home influence my discernment?[/b]
Eight hours from home is no greater distance than my college, and I drove back and forth from school regularly for breaks. My family drives 15 hrs or so to go to camp at the beach in the summer. So the 8-9 hrs to Alabama doesn't phase us, especially since they would probably only visit once or twice a year anyway. No big deal.

I discovered the nuns through their website, so in that sense location didn't matter, although I would have been *much* less likely to visit any order Out West.

[b]Other comments[/b]
I agree with Jezic that these questions are important, but in my discernment I didn't evaluate communities by these explicity. More as Magnificat says, it is just easier to visit communities closer to you, and thus to discern with them; and some things I never had to consider because I naturally inclined in other directions.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

[b]Do the numbers of members in a given community matter to your discernment?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of being part of small (less than 50 members) over large communities, especially international communities with sisters from a variety of countries?
Do you think it is difficult for large orders to maintain a sense of family?[/b]

I have seen a deep sense of community in the order i am discerning with. The Augustinians, although spread throughout CA, i see have a deep filial and brotherly love that is truly lived out in their charism. That was one of the things that impressed me, and pulled me to join. I do like the idea of moving about. I would feel restless at one location for my entire life.

[b]Would the thought of being the first new vocation in years (for some communities) scare you or would you feel as though you were part of a new revival of that community? Has anyone on the phorum decided against discerning with a community because they might have been the only one in formation had they entered? [/b]

I am the only one in formation. Well at this level (prenovice/postulant). When i entered, applied, and interviewed, there were four other prenovices. One was asked to leave, and three others left out of their own volition.

But i personally feel attracted to an old community. One with roots in the church at large. One with connections to the Vatican is cool too. But i want a deep mystical connection really to many saints. I just wouldnt feel comfortable joining an order dedicated to say for instance Padre Pio, when he belonged to the Capuchins. The Capuchins are more established, and if i was so inspired by Padre Pio, i myself would feel a deeper connection to him as a Capuchin Friar. But yeah, i feel a deeper connection to St. Augustine as an Augustinian Friar. There are many orders that follow his rule, but only one (the original and reform orders) that follow his spirituality. I could thus be considered a son of St. Augustine.

[b]Finally, how far away from home have you (would you) travel to seriously discern with a community?[/b]

I feel called to California. If it was purely contemplative, heck i wouldnt mind going anywhere God wanted me. Heck even Egypt, Syria, or the Holy Land. But i feel my gifts are well suited to California. I would love to stay in Los Angeles and San Diego, but heck whatever i am ordered to.

Most importantly the thing that pushes me is, well i hinted to it above. But feeling called to the charism of the order. The prayer, obedience to tradition, etc., none of that would matter to me, if i could get all that as a franciscan, but i could not practice poverty, it would be pointless. Or if i could be a dominican and not preach, it would be useless. I could join any number of wonderful communities, who are deeply admirable just for the reason that it allowed for deep prayer and community life, habits, and godly ministry, but it would need to be living out its charism.

ThyHolyLove

[quote]do the numbers of members in a given community matter to your discernment? [/quote]

I visited communities of all sizes and I think it differs when you talk about active vs. contemplative. With contemplative orders I like a smaller, more homey feel. Probably 10-25 sisters. WhenI think about active orders I like a good balance of large and small. What I mean by that is a large (ish) overall community with smaller mission houses. One of the things that I love about the Apostles of the Sacred Heart is that there are over 100 sisters in the US province, but the convents have about 5-6 sisters each. The sisters come back to the Motherhouse for special events and when they get older and it's such a special place for all of them.

[quote]Would the thought of being the first new vocation in years (for some communities) scare you or would you feel as though you were part of a new revival of that community?[/quote]

I have to be honest and say that this has entered my mind. So far I haven't been attracted to any communites that don't have new vocations but it might happen. I give all the credit in the world for those who enter smaller orders, but I don't know if I could. Personally I think sometimes it just takes one young person to start a renewal. Just look at the example of the Lockport Dominicans, they had only 3 sisters and because of their involvemtent on the internet and Sr. Marjorie, they are getting more aspirants!

One a side-note, if anyone is looking to help an order, the Sisters of Reparation of the Sacred Wounds of Jesus are an order in neeed. [url="http://www.reparationsisters.org/"]Reparation Sisters[/url] They are located in Maine and seem like a really good order.

As far as traveling to visit a commuity, the farthest I've gone is Nashville to visit (who else?) the Nashville Dominicans. I'm from NY so that's quite a distance for me. I was also planning on visiting in Tyburn nuns in London. but that didn't work out.

All important aspects being equal (prayer, common life, faithfulness to the Magisterium), do the numbers of members in a given community matter to your discernment?
[b]I honestly don't think the number of the members in the community matters in the discernment, God calls you where He wants you. Although some may perferr a huge and over active community versus a itty bitty 3 member community. [/b]

Do you think it is difficult for large orders to maintain a sense of family?
[b]I think in my own opinion that large communities have hard time maintaining a sense of fmaily because many of the younger members don't even know who they are and the fact of being spread out all over may have something to do with it!!![/b]

Finally, how far away from home have you (would you) travel to seriously discern with a community?

[b]I farthest I have ever gone away from home was to Birmingham, AL!!! Otherwise I just stayed in IL or st. Louis!!! But I know that going against my parents wish to go to Birmingham made me much happier in life knowing that I found in my heart where I belong in life and where God wants me to be!!! :weep: I want to go back!!! **tears**[/b]

What thoughtful responses from all of you---yes, these questions are secondary to that sense of calling that is your vocation, but I do believe that once an individual starts to actively pursue their call to religious life, that these issues do make up part of the refining process of discernment. You all have added more for the newest members of this phamily to think about!!

God bless!