Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question 4 the girls  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

[quote name='BonnieLass' post='991375' date='May 27 2006, 02:09 AM']
CrossCuT,

"This thread was a little ify, but it was not meant in any way to attracked others into a dating relationship."

Perhaps not, but it can be used for precisely for those purposes by a predator, especially since minors can be private messaged on PhatMass.

I am not saying anyone on this forum is a predator only that there were plenty of opportunities for such to occur because most of you regard as jokes, all in fun, we know each other so we are safe what can be utilized by predators for their ill-intent. My point was that no one really "knows" everyone in this forum. Though it is a Catholic forum, not everyone here is; if you feel 100% safe in a public Internet forum, you have weaved yourself an assumed net of false security. I also noted by one of the threads that there are a number of users in the teen forum who do not have or do not want parental monitoring of their participation here. This lessens the safety factor. I do trust that there are those who are innocent and meant no harm; but you must remember a predator will not admit to being one, will lie, and act as innocent as the rest. I pray that 100% of the users on PhatMass are in the trustworthy, innocent category; however, it cannot be guaranteed.

"But then, since I am only 18, and so much less experienced than you, it must make my views irrelivant and unimportant."

You could, in fact, be much more intelligent than I or more experienced at some things than I. I am likely more experienced at being a parent. Unless you are one yourself, it would be extremely difficult for you to feel my concern for my child and other children. I was 18 at one time and would have said nearly the same thing you did if I were 18 again. But I am not; I am double that and a parent of 7. Your views will change as you change; they are not irrelivant or unimportant; they are just not the same as mine.

"And if this bothers you so much, maybe it would be best to remove yourself from a situation that so obviously causes you such distress."

I think a more prudent tactic is to monitor PhatMass more than I had in the past.

"Yes, it is a very good thing to keep our eyes open for when some things become serious..."

Whose child do you choose to have something "serious" happen to before someone attempts to have safer security installed for minors on PhatMass? Is it not better to do something at a warning sign, rather than after the fact? Sew the hole when it is small, and the repair will be easier.

Pax,
Mother of BonnieLass
[/quote]


[quote name='uruviel' post='991462' date='May 27 2006, 11:41 AM']
That's very true, Mother of Bonnie. Crosscut a predator's intention is to make you feel as comfortable with him as you are your friends, so that you will be comfortable to reveal information to him, so that you won't feel uncomfortable speaking with him and so that you will not be able to tell the difference between him and your online friends. So, if you keep saying it's all jokes, and something serious comes around that you don't spot because your 'joking' it could be at the risk of someone being 'preyed' on and those are never healthy for a child, esp. if they meet up or something worse happens. Anyways, the danger is there and how are you going to see it if you keep saying 'this is all jokes'?? Bonnielass's mother's point is that she's not willing to risk that just so that the minors or teens can have their fun, and I agree with her. I'm not willing to risk someone else just because I want to keep having fun and joke around. The danger is there and the best thing we can do is get the mods to put warnings and safety tips up, because if the parents don't educate their children in the dangers of the internet then at least when they come to phatmass they will have an idea as to how to be careful.
God Bless,
uruviel
[/quote]

[size=1][color="330000"]
I just think that Bonnie's mom should just leave if she does not like it here.
Dont ruin our time, we are not stupid.

So since I am going to get raped if I talk here, I wont anymore.
No more creepy aliens for me.
[/color][/size]

Edited by CrossCuT
Posted

so you have no consideration for the other people here in danger? That's your problum but these kids need to be warned.

granted its not an evil website, none the less, it's the internet and this is one website that still needs to have warnings.

Proud2BCatholic139
Posted

Just remove yourself from a situation if you don't like it.
We have common sense, we know, at least I know what is right and what is wrong.

I believe we are becoming better with our decisions on here, and it is ok to advise us, but that should be OUR parents job to tell us what is right and what is wrong. Not someone else's parents.

Not all of us is bad on here, I don't feel as if it is anyone's place to judge except for the ones in authority on here...like to mods.

lightofelendil
Posted

no offense, but I agree with crossCUT and proud2bcatholic139.

TridentineMotoX
Posted

If everyone want's to act so mature, I suggest we drop the whole thing, instead of carrying it on and on. The warning was made, everybody understands so I think that is enough. No sence in fueling the fire. That's just my $0.02 so don't get mad.......I don't like forum arguments/debates

Posted

Yeah I think it's great to give a warning out. That's good, we're warned. But there's not a need to follow us around and get on our backs about what we're using the internet with that's our parents job. All I'm saying they should do is warn us and they did. That's enough for me. I'm not saying any of y'll aren't responsible, and Jen you can't speak for everyone when you say [quote]We have common sense, we know,[/quote] Bonnie actually intended on meeting someone over the internet, some of the people that come here have not yet been warned, that's why I'm saying to put warnings out is ok, which the MODS have already done. I dont think it's nessacary to have a parent following everyone around because that's the mods job.

Posted

topic is closed.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...