An Old School Catholic Message Board

Numbers of Religious Decreasing

cappie

Numbers of Religious Decreasing
Reveals Church's Statistical Yearbook

VATICAN CITY, MAY 22, 2006 (Zenit.org).- The number of religious in Africa and Asia has increased, but not enough to offset decreases in other areas of the world.

The Vatican press office revealed this as they released the newest edition of the "Statistical Yearbook of the Church," covering the years 1978-2004, prepared by the Central Office of Church Statistics, and published by the Libreria Editrice Vaticana.

The press office also announced that in 2004 there were over 55,000 men religious, not including priests, in the world, and more than 767,000 women religious.

The number of men religious decreased by 27.4% in the span of 26 years, nearly the entire pontificate of Pope John Paul II, from 75,000 in 1978.

Africa reported a 48% increase in the number of male religious and Asia reported a 39% increase.

Europe reported a 46% decrease in the number of male religious, the Americas reported a decrease of 30%, and Oceania reported a decrease of 47%.

Of all male religious in the world, 16.40% reside in Asia, 14.16% in Africa, 30.14% in the Americas, 36.24% in Europe, and 3.06% in Oceania.

The Holy See said the number of women religious has also shown "a strongly decreasing dynamic," with a decrease of nearly 22% worldwide from 990,768 in 1978.

An "increase was decidedly sustained in Africa and Asia: approximately 62% and 64%, respectively," the Holy See stated.

Europe reported a decrease of 39%, the Americas reported a decrease of 27%, and Oceania reported a decrease of 41%.

Of all women religious in the world, 19.64% reside in Asia, 7.49% in Africa, 28% in the Americas, 43% in Europe, and less than 2% in Oceania.

Guest phatdaddy
:ohno: Yes it is sad. We are reaping today what was sown over the last 40 years of bad Catechesis and unfaithfullness. But, let's not lose heart, orthodoxy is on the rise and we are seeing many good and faithfull communities rediscovering the beauty of consecrated life. I am encouraged, at least a lot more than I was say 10 years ago. The Holy Spirit is at work in many orders and this should be a beacon for us, a cause of hope. :)
Mr. Ray

passionheart

[quote name='phatdaddy' post='988080' date='May 23 2006, 08:35 AM']
:ohno: Yes it is sad. We are reaping today what was sown over the last 40 years of bad Catechesis and unfaithfullness. But, let's not lose heart, orthodoxy is on the rise and we are seeing many good and faithfull communities rediscovering the beauty of consecrated life. I am encouraged, at least a lot more than I was say 10 years ago. The Holy Spirit is at work in many orders and this should be a beacon for us, a cause of hope. :)
Mr. Ray
[/quote]

Phatdaddy is right.

Yes, the numbers are grim. I live in Canada and the numbers are alarming but I have to agree with something Fr. Groeschel said once in regards to numbers. He made a comment in regards that he wasn't interested in the large numbers we had earlier if those numbers don't produce fruit. A committed heart can be a brillant light in the world and this heart on fire will be a catalyst so much more.

Yes, we shall see the end of some communities but as Phatdaddy said the Holy Spirit is blazing new trails all the time. He looks for open hearts to allow Him in so He can "get busy". John Paul II's Call
for the New Evangelization was prophetic and so let us allow the Holy Spirit to put us in out into the deep and see who the called to draw together with us.

The Spouse has been and always will be faithful to His Bride!!!

Edited by passionheart

:applause:, phatdaddy and DonnaMarie!

The Holy Father has said that the Church in the future will be smaller but stronger. It's only fitting that our religious lead the way!

brandelynmarie

[b]The Holy Father has said that the Church in the future will be smaller but stronger. It's only fitting that our religious lead the way![/b]

I have not heard that before....but it makes sense! I keep hearing about the movement of the Holy Spirit among religious orders...pruning some back or allowing some to disappear while other newer ones are gaining precedence...I agree with y'all above!! :blush:

Edited by brandelynmarie

I just got an email from a discerner saying the Visitation of Toledo, OH, now has FIVE postulants and THREE temporary professed!

In addition, the Summit Dominicans have THREE new postulants!

The numbers are rising. Keep praying.

Blessings,
Gemma

It would seem that it is more important to look at the different religious communities. The ones that are very orthodox for the most part seem to be doing alright, some have more vocations than they can handle. The more "liberal" orders, especially the women's ones are hard hit. I almost wonder if it is God's response to their lack of true faith.

I think the best thing that we can do though is to give it a few years. Now there is still a lot of the pollution from the 70's era in many orders. As the younger generation grows up i think we will find a bit of a resurgence of good and holy religious vocations.

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='jezic' post='989388' date='May 24 2006, 10:35 AM']
It would seem that it is more important to look at the different religious communities. The ones that are very orthodox for the most part seem to be doing alright, some have more vocations than they can handle. The more "liberal" orders, especially the women's ones are hard hit. I almost wonder if it is God's response to their lack of true faith.

I think the best thing that we can do though is to give it a few years. Now there is still a lot of the pollution from the 70's era in many orders. As the younger generation grows up i think we will find a bit of a resurgence of good and holy religious vocations.
[/quote]

Jezic, You are so right. It is so exciting to see younglings with faith. The older generation (me included) made a mess of things as far as orthodoxy is concerned. I often wondered how God would fix this faith crises we lived through, and He is doing it now, at least it is beginning. Of course, there is still a lot of "polution" to clean up but He is raising saints today to reform where this is neccessary. Youngsters, where are you getting your faith, your "fire", your orthodoxy, your love of the church and truth? Certainly not from us. The last 3 or 4 generations have let you down. But, the Holy Spirit is alive and well and He is touching the hearts of the young. He is raising strong and vibrant vocations to priesthood and consecrated life. Yes we are seeing the prophetic words of JP II about this new evangelization come true in you. OK I'm rambling.
Mr Ray

MC IMaGiNaZUN

What we should be more concerned about than vocations in general...

Is are the members of religious orders themselves striving for holiness.

SHALOM

[quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' post='989557' date='May 24 2006, 12:31 PM']
What we should be more concerned about than vocations in general...

Is are the members of religious orders themselves striving for holiness.

SHALOM
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more.