An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can a bishop make a community leave?

zunshynn

Thanks.

It was a hypothetical question, by the way. I don't know of it happening anywhere. I just wondered.

a bishop can do almost everything.
he can also make orders combine if they are too small and are not getting vocations. I know that for a fact since I know of a community who as had 2 communities combine with them!!!

passionheart

[quote name='zunshynn' post='992569' date='May 29 2006, 09:46 PM']
Thanks.

It was a hypothetical question, by the way. I don't know of it happening anywhere. I just wondered.
[/quote]

As well, a bishop can make an orthodox group leave. Sometimes an orthodox order can stray as well. Happened in my diocese.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

Bishops are the ones who invite a community to enter and serve in the diocese.

All parishes staffed by a religious order are in contract with the diocese, and are technically carrying out the bishops pastoral and sacramental ministry to the people.

But i imagine very few bishops in America would ever do something like that.

SHALOM

I'm not sure that in every instance this is the case. I believe some orders are pontifical and answer only to the pope. The Poor Clares are an example of this (though I could be mistaken). Their vow of enclosure is know as a vow of 'papal enclosure' meaning that only the pope can release them from this vow, not the bishop.

The local ordinary does have jurisdiction over their liturgy, etc. so I'm not sure what particular items he can control and which are the purview of the Holy Father. :idontknow:

This is from the [url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11164a.htm"]Catholic Encyclopedia[/url]

[quote]V. RELIGIOUS CONGREGATIONS AND PIOUS SOCIETIES UNDER PONTIFICAL AUTHORITY

(a) Congregations

Since the constitution "Conditae" of 8 December, 1900, and the Regulations of 28 June, 1901, we possess precise rules by which to distinguish the congregations governed by pontifical law. Before formally approving a congregation and its constitutions, the Holy See is accustomed to give its commendation first to the intentions of its founders and the purpose of the foundation, and then to the congregation itself. The second decree of commendation has the effect of bringing the congregation into the number of those which are governed by pontifical law, and especially by the second part of the constitution "Conditae". Bizzarri in his "Collectanea" gives a list of congregations so commended up to 1864 (1st ed., 864 sqq.). This approbation is not usually granted until the congregation has existed for some time under the authority of the bishop. The congregations are constituted on the model of the newer religious orders, that is to say they group several houses, each governed by a local superior, under the indirect authority of a superior general; many, but not all, are divided into provinces. Many form communities of tertiaries, who as such have a share in the spiritual privileges of the order to which they are affiliated. Except in the case of a special privilege, like that which places the Daughters of Charity under the Superior General of the Priests of the Mission (see decree of 25 May, 1888) the Holy See no longer permits a bishop, or the delegate of a bishop, or the superior general of a congregation of men to be superior over a congregation of sisters. Before the regulations of 1901 the rules of new congregations differed in many respects. The details of internal government which follow apply to newly established congregations rather than to older ones, like the Ladies of the Sacred Heart. [/quote]

puellapaschalis

The Ruedesheim Benedictines are also "Papal" in that they fall under the jurisdiction of the Holy See, not the local Bishop. However, I believe this is - well, not really an exception; it's more like just not as common. I think it's far more commonplace that a House is under at least partial jurisdiction of the local Ordinary.

However, a House being "Papal" doesn't mean that they don't take any notice of what the Bishop says ;)

To the original question: yes, he can (although if the House was "Papal" then I think the procedure would be longer). The situation would have to be pretty rotten indeed for that to happen though, I'd imagine.

Love and prayers,

PP

[quote name='passionheart' post='992574' date='May 29 2006, 09:03 PM']
As well, a bishop can make an orthodox group leave. Sometimes an orthodox order can stray as well. Happened in my diocese.
[/quote]

This might be obvious, but if an orthodox group "strays", it's no longer orthodox or fit to be called so.

Blessings!

passionheart

[quote name='Veritas' post='994581' date='Jun 1 2006, 12:45 PM']
This might be obvious, but if an orthodox group "strays", it's no longer orthodox or fit to be called so.

Blessings!
[/quote]

Still orthodox but became a little defiant!

brendan1104

a bishop can also supress aspiring religious: private/public associations and diocesan communities.