MissScripture Posted June 2, 2006 Posted June 2, 2006 (edited) Ours is on the side, but I wish it were in the middle. I've noticed that the churchs with the tabernacle in the center seem more orthodox and seem to enjoy being Catholic more. Edited December 11, 2008 by Lil Red fixed spelling
cappie Posted June 2, 2006 Posted June 2, 2006 If by center you mean behind not on the altar then that is where ours is , in the center of the back wall behind the altar :
Tindomiel Posted June 2, 2006 Posted June 2, 2006 Soon enough I'll have to go to a church where the Blessed Sacrament is tucked into a little storage closet of a chapel, but the church that I consider my own places the Tabernacle just to the side of the altar.
prose Posted June 2, 2006 Posted June 2, 2006 Ours is in the back, in its own little chapel. Someone said once that it was very Mormon tabernacle-like, but I wouldn't know, I've never been in a Mormon tabernacle. It just feels weird to me to have our backs to Him all the time....
Tufsoles Posted June 2, 2006 Posted June 2, 2006 In all the various churches I have gone to over the past years(Military brat prob) I have seen all three postions. But for now I have seen the tanbernacle off to the side of the altar at my church.
missionarybelle Posted June 2, 2006 Posted June 2, 2006 to the side. I think our priest is trying to get it moved to the altar area though.
alicemary Posted June 2, 2006 Posted June 2, 2006 Ours is in a side chapel. I wish it were in the main church, seems more appropriate to be located there. But then again, we have no kneelers in either the church nor the little chapel, and I dont like that either. Picky picky
Fides_et_Ratio Posted June 3, 2006 Posted June 3, 2006 my technical home parish has the tabernacle in its own little chapel, with no kneelers and carpeted (PINK!) floor... but the church I've been attending (with the indult) has a veiled tabernacle tucked in the center of the high altar in the back. It's beautiful! And it DOES make a large difference.
franciscanheart Posted June 3, 2006 Posted June 3, 2006 Our tabernacle is in the center (behind the altar). It's pretty.
salveregina Posted June 3, 2006 Posted June 3, 2006 I've seen all three in my diocese. I definitely think it should be behind the altar. It's beautiful that way. The absolute worst thing that you can do, though, is to put it in a weird shaped creation. I've seen weird pillar things that are tabernacles, and ugly boxes, and dear me....
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted June 3, 2006 Posted June 3, 2006 I've seen a few different things and it seems that if it is behind the altar in the center of the Church, the parish family is usually very orthodox and faithful. I was at my parish today where the Tabernacle is in a chapel attached to the church but with a 'roll-up' wall that when it is down, it seems like there is no focus to the Mass... at least for me... but no one genuflects or stops to make a real bow when passing the tabernacle... if it were behind the altar, I think Jesu would receive proper reverence... The worst is when you cannot find where the heck the tabernacle is! (and it ends up being kinda in a wall and low to the ground with the chrism sitting on top of it...it was a weird church that I am hoping not to go to Mass to again... I'd rather drive an hour to go to Mass than go there... I know, I'm proabably being a bit too picky... but I like faithful Masses where I feel like the focus is and always is Jesus' real presence)
Guest phatdaddy Posted June 3, 2006 Posted June 3, 2006 I've seen a variety of positions. Far and away my preferrence is in the center high so it can be viewed and adored by all. Nothings worse than entering a church to be in His presence and have to hunt for the tabernacle to find where they have hide Him. Of course the Second Vatican Council, allows the tabernacle to be moved from the center and placed in a prominate spot within the Church. I don't understand why this was done but they did not ask for my opinion when they wrote it.....go figure. To my understanding, to locate the tabernacle outside the main body of the church is an abuse. Unfortunately the majority of faithful, apparently did not know who or what they were genuflecting to before entering the pew cuz they genuflect to the alter or to something facing the center of the church wherever the tabernacle might be hiding. I pray that someday someone will come up with the brillant and stunning idea of mandating the tabernacle front and center, no exceptions. What a glorious day that would be.
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted June 3, 2006 Posted June 3, 2006 one parish had it in the middle of the Old Pre-Vatican II altar. very liberal parish.....
Mercy me Posted June 3, 2006 Posted June 3, 2006 [quote name='phatdaddy' post='995713' date='Jun 2 2006, 09:52 PM'] I've seen a variety of positions. Far and away my preferrence is in the center high so it can be viewed and adored by all. Nothings worse than entering a church to be in His presence and have to hunt for the tabernacle to find where they have hide Him. Of course the Second Vatican Council, allows the tabernacle to be moved from the center and placed in a prominate spot within the Church. I don't understand why this was done but they did not ask for my opinion when they wrote it.....go figure. To my understanding, to locate the tabernacle outside the main body of the church is an abuse. Unfortunately the majority of faithful, apparently did not know who or what they were genuflecting to before entering the pew cuz they genuflect to the alter or to something facing the center of the church wherever the tabernacle might be hiding. I pray that someday someone will come up with the brillant and stunning idea of mandating the tabernacle front and center, no exceptions. What a glorious day that would be. [/quote] Quick tell the Pope!! The tabernacle in St. Peters is in a chapel on the rights side of the church.
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted June 3, 2006 Posted June 3, 2006 [quote name='StThomasMore' post='995742' date='Jun 2 2006, 11:12 PM'] Sam, that's sarcasim, right? [/quote] no. i should have been more clear. they celebrate the NO mass, on a table in front of the old altar, but the tabernacle is still there. but yes it is very liberal.
MissScripture Posted June 3, 2006 Author Posted June 3, 2006 [quote name='phatdaddy' post='995713' date='Jun 2 2006, 08:52 PM'] I've seen a variety of positions. Far and away my preferrence is in the center high so it can be viewed and adored by all. Nothings worse than entering a church to be in His presence and have to hunt for the tabernacle to find where they have hide Him. Of course the Second Vatican Council, allows the tabernacle to be moved from the center and placed in a prominate spot within the Church. I don't understand why this was done but they did not ask for my opinion when they wrote it.....go figure. To my understanding, to locate the tabernacle outside the main body of the church is an abuse. Unfortunately the majority of faithful, apparently did not know who or what they were genuflecting to before entering the pew cuz they genuflect to the alter or to something facing the center of the church wherever the tabernacle might be hiding. I pray that someday someone will come up with the brillant and stunning idea of mandating the tabernacle front and center, no exceptions. What a glorious day that would be. [/quote] *smiles and nods* It really bugs me when people genuflect at nothing! That sounds sort of picky and OCD, but it also detracts from the meaning, because that means that they're just going through the motions and not aware of what they are actually doing. But I also meant to say in my first post that I don't know if the "enjoy being Catholic" thing is a result of the tabernacle placement (Jesus is really the center) or if the tabernacle placement is a result of people enjoying being Catholic, or if they feed off of eachother. Most likely the latter.
Guest Rick777 Posted June 3, 2006 Posted June 3, 2006 My parish has the Tabernacle front and center where it should be. It bugs me when parishes don't have it there. Why wouldnt it be?
cappie Posted June 3, 2006 Posted June 3, 2006 (edited) [quote name='Rick777' post='995884' date='Jun 3 2006, 03:18 PM'] My parish has the Tabernacle front and center where it should be. It bugs me when parishes don't have it there. Why wouldnt it be? [/quote] dunno maybe it's because of this in the General Instruction of The Roman Missal; 315. It is more in keeping with the meaning of the sign that the tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved not be on an altar on which Mass is celebrated. Consequently, it is preferable that the tabernacle be located, according to the judgment of the Diocesan Bishop, a. Either in the sanctuary, apart from the altar of celebration, in a form and place more appropriate, not excluding on an old altar no longer used for celebration b. Or even in some chapel suitable for the faithful’s private adoration and prayer and which is organically connected to the church and readily visible to the Christian faithful Edited June 3, 2006 by cappie
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now