An Old School Catholic Message Board

Daughters Of Mary, Mother Of Our Savior

brendan1104

[url="http://www.dmoz.org"]http://www.dmoz.org[/url] which I do the Catholic order editing on went round and round with them because they kept insisting that we put them in the Roman Catholic section instead of the Not in communion with Rome section. I finally wrote to the Colorado Springs Diocese , but the Denver, Colorado diocese wrote back to me and said that they had tried several times to communicate with the people at Holy Family, but they wouldn't even let the church representatives in the compound. They also said there were a lot of cultlike activities reported to them over the years and the would highly recommend that everyone steer clear of them.

[quote name='brendan1104' post='998864' date='Jun 6 2006, 06:09 PM']
SPEAKING AS ONE WHO LIVED THERE...

When Servants of the Holy Family was founded in 1977- there was no diocese of Colorado Springs! That diocese is only 26 years old. The Diocese and the Servants have been in contact. When they were founded there was no diocesan bishop. When the diocese was established, their (unorthdox) bishop, Richard Hanifen (who resigned for reasons I'm not going to talk about/the general public doesn't know about) didn't want them, but they weren't about to move/disband.

Bishops (Novus Ordo) have visited their monastery, and the Servants' house and chapel. They know the situation- they have ordained and confirmed there.

This is all I am saying anymore, and so should all of you. Rome is inquiring and deciding on their case. This will only be decided by the Holy See. Rome has the final and definitive word- Roma locuta, causa finita est. Until then, please don't talk about this, as you know very little of all the facts. I'm not saying anything more, and neither should the rest of Phatmass- or anyone.
[/quote]
Brendan,

I can understand you're defensiveness. You know these sisters and you respect them. However, since you have brought this community to our attention, the discerners at Phatmass need to know who they are and the fact that they are not currently in communion with Rome.

This does not mean that they should not be shown the respect and kindness due them as children of God. So far I have seen nobody say anything unfair about them. People have simply pointed out that they are not in communion with the Holy Catholic Church. Your response above seems to suggest that because of the situation within the diocese at the time or for some other reason that they might indeed be a legitimate Roman Catholic community. They are not. While I agree that it is the Holy See's ultimate decision to make, today they are NOT in communion with Rome.

The following is part of an email that I received from Sister Mary Agatha, CMRI in 2005. I am not including her entire message because much of it does not deal with the topic of this conversation.

[quote]Our religious congregation is not in union with the hierarchy of the
> mainstream "Catholic" Church. We are simply Roman Catholics who are
> trying to live according to the age-old teachings and liturgy of the
> Catholic Faith as it has been handed down for centuries. After Vatican
> II, both teachings and liturgy of the mainstream "Catholic" Church
> changed drastically, even in ways explicitly condemned by past Church
> teachings.
>
> Therefore, since Christ promised that His Church would last until the
> end of time, we feel that the current hierarchy must not be not
> legitimate representatives of the leadership of the true Catholic
> Church.
>
> At best, we have serious doubts about the legitimacy of today's hierarchy.
> Thus, we do not reject the Papacy nor the infallibility of the Catholic Church,
> but simply the claim of certain men to hold positions of authority
> within the true Catholic Church.
[/quote]

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1000270' date='Jun 8 2006, 09:46 AM']
Brendan,

I can understand you're defensiveness. You know these sisters and you respect them. However, since you have brought this community to our attention, the discerners at Phatmass need to know who they are and the fact that they are not currently in communion with Rome.

This does not mean that they should not be shown the respect and kindness due them as children of God. So far I have seen nobody say anything unfair about them. People have simply pointed out that they are not in communion with the Holy Catholic Church. Your response above seems to suggest that because of the situation within the diocese at the time or for some other reason that they might indeed be a legitimate Roman Catholic community. They are not. While I agree that it is the Holy See's ultimate decision to make, today they are NOT in communion with Rome.

The following is part of an email that I received from Sister Mary Agatha, CMRI in 2005. I am not including her entire message because much of it does not deal with the topic of this conversation.
[/quote]

Thanks OLAM Dad for sharing the pertinent email from CMRI. You conclusion on their standing is obviously correct by their own admission. I pray that their difficulties are resolved and they accept the Roman Church in full. I think we all can appreciate the reasons and sufferings of those who have separated themselves from the Roman Catholic Church and it's a source of sadness. We now know enough to give us impetous to pray for them which is a good thing, a very good thing.
Mr. Ray

brendan1104

[quote name='williamb' post='999432' date='Jun 7 2006, 05:20 AM']
[url="http://www.dmoz.org"]http://www.dmoz.org[/url] which I do the Catholic order editing on went round and round with them because they kept insisting that we put them in the Roman Catholic section instead of the Not in communion with Rome section. I finally wrote to the Colorado Springs Diocese , but the Denver, Colorado diocese wrote back to me and said that they had tried several times to communicate with the people at Holy Family, but they wouldn't even let the church representatives in the compound. They also said there were a lot of cultlike activities reported to them over the years and the would highly recommend that everyone steer clear of them.
[/quote]

I lived there- as a seminarian. I would like to know what these "cult like" activities were/are. Also, any one was free to drive through the grounds. E-mail me: brendan1104@yahoo.com

I looked into both of these communities and LOVED them but was unable to get direct answers to all of my questions. Thank you for posting this. It is really nice to have all the facts!

God Bless,

Allison

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='997307' date='Jun 5 2006, 11:21 AM']
Yes, so sad. I ran across their website once and was really interested until....Someone should put together a list of orders that are not in communion and then pin it for reference. I had the same experience with CMRI and I think these sisters are also not in communion, www.sistersofcarmel.org. Then we could start a crusade to pray for them or something. Just a thought. Sorry, this is sort of a mini hijack.
[/quote]
I agree. There a quite a number of them out there who look and seem to be....then you find out they are not! I had the same experience with CMRI and another order founded from them in Omaha, Nebraska. I actually asked the Sisters of Carmel if they adhered to the Magisterium of the Church, and they said they did, but it is still not clear if they are in communion with the Church. Certainly vigilance is called for. At least here we can alert one another.

:drool: What is the name of the group founded from the CMRI in Omaha,Nebraska? Just curious.Are the CMRI in Washington state? There is the Community of the Beatitudes in Colorado,and they and the Heralds of the Good News( who were on EWTN) appear to both be in communion with Rome.

[quote name='HollyDolly' post='1004572' date='Jun 13 2006, 10:19 AM']
:drool: What is the name of the group founded from the CMRI in Omaha,Nebraska? Just curious.Are the CMRI in Washington state? There is the Community of the Beatitudes in Colorado,and they and the Heralds of the Good News( who were on EWTN) appear to both be in communion with Rome.
[/quote]
I regret to say that I cannot remember their name, but they were definitely founded from the CMRI in Washington. I only know that because I asked the Superior, who had been with the CMRI for twenty years.

• 1 year later...
Totus Tuus

Bumping this. Pretty much the same information as in the other thread Marietheresa started, but there might be a little more detail, and more confirmation that they are more "irregular" than we thought.

Chiquitunga

[quote name='Deborah' post='1005647' date='Jun 14 2006, 01:51 PM']I regret to say that I cannot remember their name, but they were definitely founded from the CMRI in Washington. I only know that because I asked the Superior, who had been with the CMRI for twenty years.[/quote]
I have heard of this community founded from the CMRI in Omaha. I'm pretty sure their name is the Sisters of the Mother of God. I don't know if they're still going now or anything though.

It's so great though, the most recent news about some of the CMRI Sisters returning to Rome: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=69615"]15 CMRI Sisters Return to Rome! [/url] :D

Edited by Margaret Clare