Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

What should I do in D.C.


Recommended Posts

JP2Iloveyou
Posted

I used to live and work in D.C. so I know my way aroudn there pretty well. A couple of things...

1) Use the Metro to get around. It is fast, safe, and very easy. The National Shrine is located on the Red Line at CUA in Northeast Washington. All of the other things are pretty easy to find. Good tourist stops are Capitol South on the Orange and Blue lines (very close to the House buildings and the Supreme Court), Federal Triangle (probably the best stop to get you as close as possible to the Mall, also on the B & O lines), and Union Station (on the Red Line). A day pass costs $5.00, or at least it did three years ago. It´s a great deal.

2) The city is divided into quadrants, NE, NW, SE, and SW. Avoid southeast Washington, especially at night. Northeast is only slightly better. The goodthing is that most of the things to do are in the western half of the city.

3) I used to work in Congress, so I echo what the previous poster said regarding contacting your Congressman. All of the Congressional offices give tours of the capital, and they can also get you a gallery pass for the Senate or House.

4) Other places to visit include: Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, FDR Memorial (very cool), and Thomas Jefferson Memorial; Vietnam Veteran´s Memorial, Korean War Memorial, WWII Memorial, Arlington Cemetery, your Senator/Congressman´s office, all of the Smithsonians, and the Holocaust Museum. Georgetown (Northwest Washington) and Arlington are also cool places to go.

5) If you´re looking for a place to go to daily Mass, St. Joseph´s on Capitol Hill is located literally right behind the Hart Senate Office building and they have an 8:00 and a 12:00. Another favorite Church of mine is St. Patrick´s, located very near Chinatown. I think the closest Metro is actually Metro Center, not MCI Center/Chinatown. If I remember right, Metro Center is literally right across the street. The Cathedral is also a great place, at Dupont Circle and Rhode Island Avenue. Take the Rhode Island Ave. stop on the Red Line.

6) Good restaurants include the Hark and Dove, which if I remember right is on Massachusettes Avenue. There is also a good food court in Union Station, but it is spendy.

Have a great trip. I miss Washington!

missionseeker
Posted

Thanks you guys!

Posted

It might've just been the area I was staying. I was around George Washington Univ, sort of far from Georgetown (if you're walking, like I was). I think the area I was in was just mostly business, and that might've been the reason why everything was all closed.

missionseeker
Posted

Went to Mass @ the Basilica last night. pass it every day on the way t oclass

  • 2 weeks later...
missionseeker
Posted

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1000264' date='Jun 8 2006, 06:25 AM']
The air and space museum at the Smithsonian is a snooze fest.

Just an fyi
[/quote]


gotta agree.

Although I did see th IMAX "Fighter Pilot" Movie and that was pretty good.

blovedwolfofgod
Posted

i can tell you what not to do. do not go into north Washingtion DC by yourself, or even with a freind. I almost got herded into a stripjoint despite my protests (big men just surrounded me and cut me off and how I escaped I do not know) and a one legged man tried to sell me Meth. And a I got involved in a conversation with a very drunk black man about how the white man was keeping him down and how my white italian friend was obviously of African descent...

stay out of north washington...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...