An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monastic community?

be_thou_my_vision

be_thou_my_vision

Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you knew of a community of sisters or laypeople that are willing to take people in for a predetermined period of time... I was thinking the Brothers and Sisters of Charity, but I'm not sure if they would let me stay at the motherhouse.

Anyone know of like communities that wouldn't cost a fortune for me to stay for a summer!

God Bless you.

I really need this.

ThyHolyLove

One place I was thinking is the [url="http://www.madonnahouse.org/index.html"]Madonna House[/url] I haven't visited them personally, but they have a very good reputation. They are a community of laywomen, laymen and priests that live together in poverty, chastity and obedience.

They have a volunteer worker program that has flexible time periods. It is rugged and you are put to work, but it also seems like a great environment, especially for discernment. They follow a basic schedule which has morning and evening prayer, Mass, work, recreation.... I hope you find something that works!

ThyWillBeDone

I have a friend at the Seminary who spent a few months, maybe even a year with Madona House, up in canada. He really loved the experiance. I stoped at one with him in Washington DC after the Pro-life march, just to say hi, seemed like a very nice group of people, but I do not know much about them, first hand.
God Bless

The Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration of Clyde Missouri have a volunteer program that sounds like what you're looking for. They have a website which you may check out-- just google the name of the congregation and once you are on, go to the "General" link to find the volunteer info. This is a community that I support financially and have mentioned it on phatmass before. Some viewers here have expressed reservations about them, but my experience with them was very good while they were in STL. Good luck and God bless!

passionheart

[quote name='ThyWillBeDone' post='1005727' date='Jun 14 2006, 05:03 PM']
I have a friend at the Seminary who spent a few months, maybe even a year with Madona House, up in canada. He really loved the experiance. I stoped at one with him in Washington DC after the Pro-life march, just to say hi, seemed like a very nice group of people, but I do not know much about them, first hand.
God Bless
[/quote]

If you need any information on MadonnaHouse just PM me. I spent time there and I am involved with MadonnaHouse here in Ottawa.

Cheers

DM

be_thou_my_vision

Thank you so much everybody! This has helped an INCREDIBLE amount. As of right now, I am thinking more about the Benedictine place. It's in the country (not that Canada is bad!) but I just would like to stay in the country. If you have anymore ideas, list them!! Thanks!!

passionheart

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='1005809' date='Jun 14 2006, 08:27 PM']
Thank you so much everybody! This has helped an INCREDIBLE amount. As of right now, I am thinking more about the Benedictine place. It's in the country (not that Canada is bad!) but I just would like to stay in the country. If you have anymore ideas, list them!! Thanks!!
[/quote]

Could we incite you here with some BeaverTails!!!! Now before everyone starting thinking something weird... they are a pastry treat. They taste great warm and come in all sorts of flavours....

So just think have a BeaverTail and do some prayers. I tell you it works!! :D:

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='1005809' date='Jun 14 2006, 07:27 PM']
[/quote]

Here's the website for the [url="http://www.benedictinesisters.org/Home/homepage.html"]Benedictines in Clyde, MO[/url]...complete with church bells tolling :)

AlterDominicus

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='1005699' date='Jun 14 2006, 03:26 PM']
Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you knew of a community of sisters or laypeople that are willing to take people in for a predetermined period of time... I was thinking the Brothers and Sisters of Charity, but I'm not sure if they would let me stay at the motherhouse.

Anyone know of like communities that wouldn't cost a fortune for me to stay for a summer!

God Bless you.

I really need this.
[/quote]

Hahahaha, your doing exactly what I am doing, hahaha, except it came from my mom one of those, "you are 17 now, I dont want you to hang around me 365 days, contact a few of your communities and see if you can stay with them for a week a month, or even the whole summer!"

So I'm actually going to Valley of Our Lady Monastery in Prairie du Sac Wisconsin in July, and hopefully Lockport and I can figure things out.

• 4 weeks later...
be_thou_my_vision

Update! I am traveling over Christmas Break with my mom to the Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration Monastery in Oklahoma for a week. I am thinking about being a temporary member of this contemplative branch of the community.

Prayers!

[quote name='passionheart' post='1005823' date='Jun 14 2006, 06:57 PM']
Could we incite you here with some BeaverTails!!!! Now before everyone starting thinking something weird... they are a pastry treat. They taste great warm and come in all sorts of flavours....

So just think have a BeaverTail and do some prayers. I tell you it works!! :D:
[/quote]

Oh I am with you on the Beaver Tails! MMMM MMMM Good!

be_thou_my_vision

uhhh okay...
I'm guessing that comment goes with a different topic???

haha!

brandelynmarie

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1006154' date='Jun 15 2006, 09:56 AM']
Hahahaha, your doing exactly what I am doing, hahaha, except it came from my mom one of those, "you are 17 now, I dont want you to hang around me 365 days, contact a few of your communities and see if you can stay with them for a week a month, or even the whole summer!"

So I'm actually going to Valley of Our Lady Monastery in Prairie du Sac Wisconsin in July, and hopefully Lockport and I can figure things out.
[/quote]

Your mom sounds like my mom...When I was little & it was Summer in Ohio, she would "shoo" my brother & me out the door..."Go play! Go outside! Git going!" :lol_roll: