Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Officially Started at the Parish


Recommended Posts

Fides_et_Ratio
Posted

Sorry to hear about the death (Eternal rest...)

Hmm, you could do something about the Real Presence... some of the "daily Mass ladies" at my parish were amazed at this article that talked about how long Jesus "remains Jesus" after we receive Communion. But that's maybe a bit complex.

You could answer why people bow to the altar/genuflect to the tabernacle, bless themselves with holy water when entering the church, why the priest kisses the gospel, the significance of the orans position for the priest during the Liturgy....

any of those work?

Theologian in Training
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' post='1040016' date='Aug 8 2006, 11:59 PM']
Sorry to hear about the death (Eternal rest...)

Hmm, you could do something about the Real Presence... some of the "daily Mass ladies" at my parish were amazed at this article that talked about how long Jesus "remains Jesus" after we receive Communion. But that's maybe a bit complex.

You could answer why people bow to the altar/genuflect to the tabernacle, bless themselves with holy water when entering the church, why the priest kisses the gospel, the significance of the orans position for the priest during the Liturgy....

any of those work?
[/quote]

Well, I did address why we bow to the altar and genuflect to the tabernacle in the homily above but blessing with holy water might not be a bad idea....hmmm...the other ones are good too, but I don't know if they would work. I am trying to observer the people in the parish to catch different things, but some of them are hard to read.

thanks for some ideas though, I had no ideas yesterday. See, the problem was after hearing about that young woman's death (she was only 29) I immediately just wanted to talk about death, but I figured that would be a little out of place and decided to start again today.

God Bless

Edited by Theologian in Training
cmotherofpirl
Posted

Theo just use some of the easier questions from our Q & A board, or get a copy of "Why do Catholics do that?"

Theologian in Training
Posted (edited)

Thanks cmom. I guess that shows where my head was yesterday....I went to the Q&A board, but never went beyond the first page...I don't know why I never thought to.

I think I am going to use the Holy Water one and perhaps the one Lil Red asked a while back, why we bow at a certain part in the creed.

EDIT: I completely forgot, that week is the feast of the Assumption, perhaps I should say something about Mary, and even the Assumption....ok, the gears are turning again...welcome back brain ;)

thanks

God Bless

Edited by Theologian in Training
Theologian in Training
Posted

I want to thank everyone for their input and help...this is what I came up with. I realize it is a bit more academic, but I wanted to talk about the Assumption. I think later I may try to "dumb it down a bit" but don't know how much more I can without watering it down, which I certainly do not want to do.

God Bless

This Tuesday we will celebrate one of the great feasts of the Church: The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, when Mary was taken up to Heaven. Yet, the moment we hear about this Assumption, there are usually two questions that arise:

[b]What exactly is the Assumption?[/b]
Well, to put it simply, the Assumption refers to what happened to Mary after she “completed the course of her earthly life.” This is not the same as Christ’s Ascension because He ascended by His own power, Mary, on the other hand, needed God because she does not possess the same power. Further, the phrase “completed the course of her earthly life” is what the Church says because we cannot definitively say when or if she actually died. In fact, there has been much speculation as to whether she died and then was assumed or was still alive during this assumption. To give you an idea of this, the quote itself is from an Apostolic Constitution, which is a document that is written by the Pope, containing a very important matter, in this case, it was a decree from Pope Pius XII stating that the belief of the Assumption is an infallible teaching of the Church. That is, it is a teaching that is free from error as guaranteed by Christ’s promise to His Church.

I know that is more information then you probably need, but it helps to understand the origin and our belief in this feast of the Assumption.

[b]Why is this not explicitly spoken about in the bible?[/b]
Although the bible does not explicitly speak about Mary going to Heaven, there is actually a lot of evidence, within the bible, that helps us to understand why the Church believes that Mary was indeed assumed.

First, if you go back into the Old Testament, there are two people whom we read about that were taken directly up to Heaven: Enoch in Genesis 5:24 and Elijah in 2 Kings 2:11. Incidentally, in Hebrews 11:5, Enoch’s “assumption” is made even more explicit, and he is actually promised that he will not see death. Then, if you go to the New Testament there is the promise that many will experience this assumption. In fact, in Mt 27:52-53, right after Jesus is crucified, and has died, and the temple is “split in two” we read the following lines: “the tombs also were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many.” Yet, there are two other times when this is made even more explicit, once 1 Thessalonians 4:17 and again in 1 Corinthians 15:51. In fact, 1 Thessalonians (emphasis mine) says: “then we who are alive, who are left, shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air; and so we shall always be with the Lord.” Similarly, in 1 Corinthians: “we shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.”

I know that is a little more academic, but it shows us where the idea of the Assumption came from, and what’s more, the reason for the belief, because what happened to Enoch, Elijah, and Mary is the same thing that will happen to us, perhaps not immediately, but one day. We will hear those trumpet blasts, and whether alive or “asleep” we will be assumed body and soul, “For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.” (1 Cor 15:52)

cmotherofpirl
Posted

You should also address some of the issues raised with whatever neighborhood churches you have i.e. if you have fundamentalists nearby talk about why we are NOT a bible only church, why we honor Mary etc.

Theologian in Training
Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1040214' date='Aug 9 2006, 12:31 PM']
You should also address some of the issues raised with whatever neighborhood churches you have i.e. if you have fundamentalists nearby talk about why we are NOT a bible only church, why we honor Mary etc.
[/quote]

Well, the other thing is that it has to be short enough to fit in the bulletin. The other churches we have around are two baptist churches, maybe I will address that the next time though :)

thanks

God Bless

Posted

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1040242' date='Aug 9 2006, 11:12 AM']
Well, the other thing is that it has to be short enough to fit in the bulletin. The other churches we have around are two baptist churches, maybe I will address that the next time though :)

thanks

God Bless
[/quote]

With Assumption (one of the few obligatory non-Sundays) this week, maybe something about Holy Days of Obligation?

Posted

From: We Worship: A Guide to the Catholic Mass, by Oscar Lukefahr, C.M. (Liguouri, 2004)

Chapter 6 (Fr. Lukefahr's answers are in the book)
(I got mine from Catholic Home Study Service, Perryville, Mo. - but I'm sure the Fr. Lukefahr and his ministry would appreciate royalties from a purchase via the publisher or a bookstore)

Most Protestant churches use the cross, not the crucifix, as a symbol. Why do Catholics portray Christ on the cross in their churches even though he is risen?

I have some friends who ask me why Catholics worship statues. They say the Bible forbids the making of images. Why do we Catholics have statues of saints in our churches?

What is the meaning of the votive candles in various parts of the church?

I’ve been in some churches that have altars along the side of the nave or at the side of the sanctuary. Why these altars?

Our Church bulletin has a section listing “Mass Intentions,” and the priest may announce that a Mass is being said for a particular intention. What does this mean?

A friend tells me we no longer need to go to the sacrament of penance because the penitential rite at the beginning of Mass has the same effect as confession. Is this true?

My grandmother talks about the “Easter duty.” What does this mean?

May Roman Catholics attend Eastern-rite Masses and receive Holy Communion at these Masses?

How is the date for Easter determined?

A friend told me that by Church law only men can be acolytes. Our parish allows girls to serve Mass. Is this allowed?

Since Catholics observe Sunday as the Lord’s day, how can we fulfill our Mass obligation on Saturday afternoon?

It is very difficult for me to attend Mass with devotion at our parish. One priest rushes through Mass, and the other speaks with such a heavy accent that it’s hard to understand him. Neither is a good preacher. How can I get anything out of Mass under such conditions?

[i](Since I’m sure none of your parishioners would ask that question, and a variant of it seems to come up on Phatmass with some regularity – I’ll include his answer)

It is frustrating when you have to deal with language barriers. And it is far worse when priests fail to celebrate the Mass with proper reverence. But even when the priest falls short, Christ is always there. Mother Teresa said that Jesus is found in poor dying lepes of Calcutta “in his most distressing disguise.” I disagree. I believe that we priests are Christ’s most distressing disguise when we don’t celebrate the sacraments with all our heart and soul. But even then, Jesus supplies for our deficiencies. Jesus established his Church in such a way that his grace is bestowed even when the priest is not perfect. Jesus speaks through the Scripture readings. Jesus comes in the love of friends and family at church. Jesus changes bread and wine into himself and enters hearts through Holy Communion. It would be better if every priest modeled his words and actions on those of Jesus, but even when the priest fails, Jesus is the same – yesterday, today, and forever (see Heb 13:8). In fact, sometimes people are let to focus on the reality of Christ’s presence when the priest is uninspiring. They begin to realize that Christ is the only Savior. Imperfect priest, while they are not the ideal, can actually help us rely more on Christ and less on mere human beings.[/i]

Are we supposed to fast for an hour before Mass begins, or for an hour before we receive Communion?

I lead singing at our parish, sometimes at two Masses on Sunday. May I receive Holy Communion more than once a day?

My mother has Alzheimer’s disease. She has been a deeply religious person, and taught religious education classes for children years ago. But now she doesn’t seem to recognize even family members. Am I obliged to bring her to Mass on Sunday? Is she allowed to receive Holy Communion? She is quiet in church and swallows the host as she should, but I suspect she really doesn’t know what is happening.

Why doesn’t the Catholic Church always offer Communion under the forms of bread and wine? On the other hand, if one form is sufficient, why offer both?

Doesn’t the Catholic Church violate the law against giving liquor to minors when it offers the cup to children?

Why can’t non-Catholics receive Communion at weddings, funerals, and other celebrations of Mass?

Jesus never turned away a believer. Why doesn’t the Catholic Church welcome everyone and allow all people to receive Holy Communion?

A coworker claims that if we Catholics really believe we eat the Body and Blood of Christ we are guilty of cannibalism. How do I respond to him?

How can I get more out of the Mass? How can I make the Mass more meaningful in my everyday life?

Theologian in Training
Posted

I have been getting feedback on my little column. Seems many people are enjoying it, and they find it very educational and catechetical. One woman came up to me to tell me her daughter really enjoyed it...so I guess people are not just taking the bulletin home, they are actually reading it too ;)

God Bless

homeschoolmom
Posted

I think this is a great idea-- I've often thought that it would be cool to have something like this in our bulletin. If you ever run out of questions you may find these helpful: [url="http://www.friendlydefenders.com/sample.htm"]http://www.friendlydefenders.com/sample.htm[/url]
I bought them a couple of years ago when we converted because I knew, eventually, my children would be challenged on "why Catholics believe..." by their friends.

CoffeeCatholic
Posted

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1006231' date='Jun 15 2006, 11:35 AM']
(clears throat)...a new(ly) painted bathroom ;)

It is actually an older rectory...they used to have a school and a convent, now the offices are in the convent and the school is being rented out to kids with disabilities and troubled teens :(

And, insult to injury...there is a Planned Parenthood right next door to the Church <_<

And the Church windows have such beloved modern day "saints" as Dr. Martin Luther King, Tom Dooley, and some guy from the UN Damaschad or something like that <_<

This will be interesting....
[/quote]

Go get 'em! I know you'll totally destroy that PP and as far as the window.... is it an old episcopal church?

go here: [url="http://www.all.org/stopp/"]http://www.all.org/stopp/[/url] Give my boyfriend a call (540-659-4171 )at STOPP and he'll help you sort out the best way to shut that Planned Parenthood down, if you need help or resources that is. Just ask for Joey

Theologian in Training
Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1043966' date='Aug 15 2006, 06:51 AM']
I think this is a great idea-- I've often thought that it would be cool to have something like this in our bulletin. If you ever run out of questions you may find these helpful: [url="http://www.friendlydefenders.com/sample.htm"]http://www.friendlydefenders.com/sample.htm[/url]
I bought them a couple of years ago when we converted because I knew, eventually, my children would be challenged on "why Catholics believe..." by their friends.
[/quote]

very familiar with friendly defenders, introduced it to my class when I had to present my MDiv and showed them to the new DRE, who plans on ordering the two sets soon :)

thanks

God Bless

Theologian in Training
Posted (edited)

So, a woman came up to me today after Mass, so I immediately think "great, she is going to tell me some way I can improve something." She didn't, she actually told me my homily almost brought her to tears, and then got teary-eyed again while telling me. It was very moving and quite humbling since, truth be told, I woke up this morning thinking, "oh man, I have to write a homily.." But, I did think to myself, I did want to make sure Mary was honored today, and many people told me she indeed was. She told me she wanted to jump up clap and shout "Amen," which is completely contrary to her personality. However, one person did in fact say "Amen" after I left the pulpit. You can read it on the bottom of this post.

BTW, this is what I had written, but it changed a little bit when I preached it.

Just thought I would share

God Bless

I always loved this prayer we read in the Gospel today, this Magnificat, as it is commonly called, because, at heart, it is a beautiful prayer of humility. Yet, there is one part in particular that I would draw your attention to, the beginning, with some of the most simple but profound words ever uttered: “My soul proclaims or as also been translated magnifies the greatness of the Lord.” To proclaim something is to make it known, to make others see what they may not see themselves, and similarly, when something is magnified it is seen a lot clearer, and the magnifying glass, as it were, become secondary to the thing being magnified. In other words, as St. Louis DeMontfort often said, when we come to Mary she takes us to Jesus, which is why he coined the phrase “To Jesus through Mary.”

An idea that is difficult for many to understand, for fear that in praying to Mary we may forget Jesus. Yet, what we have to remember is Mary is also Jesus’ mother, and when you spend a long enough time with the mother you learn a lot about the Son. What’s more, is that with Mary, She will always bring you to meet Her Son, when you are ready and when she has taught you what Her Son desires of you.

I once heard a story that may or may not be true, about the late John Paul II. It is related how he used to constantly hold the rosary in his hand, sometimes without praying with them, but just holding them in his hand. One day, apparently, somebody came up to him and asked him why he did this. He simply responded: “When I hold the rosary, it is like holding Mary’s hand.” I like to believe, as I am sure John Paul II believed, that in holding her hand, she tugs us and brings us to her Son, guiding us, to be sure, but bringing us closer to Him.

One thing we should always remember is that like a good mother Mary teaches us how to pray, which is why Her prayer, this Magnificat, is not just Her prayer but ours. Which means that we too should always have these words upon our lips, and we too should constantly magnify our Lord, because in doing so, we will be able to confidently say, with Mary, “all generations shall call me blessed, because the Almighty has done great things for me.”

Edited by Theologian in Training
Posted

very beautiful! :D:

Noel's angel
Posted

Lovely :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...