An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Do you think you're a good person?"

Dave

Thy Geekdom Come

I actually know of street evangelists who say that once you convert, you no longer sin.

homeschoolmom

We had some come to our campus like that. I skipped class to sit with the crowd and taunt (i mean listen to) them...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1007837' date='Jun 18 2006, 06:08 PM']
We had some come to our campus like that. I skipped class to sit with the crowd and taunt (i mean listen to) them...
[/quote]
I ran into ours on the way back from class at the University of Nebraska.

I always make sure to wear Catholic t-shirts around them now.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1007044' date='Jun 16 2006, 05:40 PM']
Good, yes. Holy, no.
[/quote]
Interesting statement. Through the virtue of baptism, we have been consecrated to God, so in that sense of the word (which I've heard is the original sense), we are holy. We are set apart. Therefore Paul referred to the Church (memebers on earth) as the saints, ie, those who have been made holy. That's also the sense in which the pope is 'His Holiness'. It's different from personal holiness, or holiness in the way we tend to think of it now.

Am I a good person? If I understood the question to mean 'am I a decent person', I'd probably answer somewhat in the affirmative. But I have fallen short of the goodness God intended in creating man.
Total depravity? Man's nature is fundamentally good, but it is corrupted. He cannot do good without the grace of God, but I don't think that's being totally depraved, because wouldn't that be saying that sin can totally undo the good of God's creation?

Right. What I meant was, I'm not exactly a terrorist, but like Fr. Mitch Pacwa always says, we're not trying to just be better than the mafia, we're trying to be like Christ. I happened to read this passage from Wisdom yesterday:

[quote]For it is always in thy power to show great strength, and who can withstand the might of thy arm?

Because the whole world before thee is like a speck that tips the scales, and like a drop of morning dew that falls upon the ground.

But thou art merciful to all, for thou canst do all things, and thou dost overlook men's sins, that they may repent. For thou lovest all things that exist, and hast loathing for none of the things which thou hast made, for thou wouldst not have made anything if thou hadst hated it.

How would anything have endured if thou hadst not willed it? Or how would anything not called forth by thee have been preserved?

Thou sparest all things, for they are thine, O Lord who lovest the living.

--Wisdom 11:21-26[/quote]

[quote]I actually know of street evangelists who say that once you convert, you no longer sin.[/quote]

Pilgrim Holiness Protestants...

Our family knew a few and they believe that when you are saved you no longer sin.

As for the other issue I see what you are pointing out. We are evil people we are just sinners unworthy of the grace of God.

So can we become evil?

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1007837' date='Jun 18 2006, 06:08 PM']
[/quote]
We did too. I didn't taunt or listen to them though ...

homeschoolmom

Well, they had this thing that whenever the called someone a "whore" or a "whoremonger" (which they did a lot), they would draw a big X over them (and then the conversation was sort of done with that person). We all just started drawing big Xs in the air when the time came...

God Conquers

"So I guess my question is, what would you say if Kirk Cameron stopped you on the street and asked if you thought you were a good person?"

I'd fight him.

These guys come into school almost every year and piss everybody off, turn them off of Christ because they are harsh, unloving and unforgiving.

Way of the Master... pfshshshsh

No way Jesus would act like they do or use their methods.

"Repent and sin no more"

not

"You're going to hell... accept Jesus"

I severely dislike these guys....

And I'm a full-time missionary!

[quote]"So I guess my question is, what would you say if Kirk Cameron stopped you on the street and asked if you thought you were a good person?"

I'd fight him.

These guys come into school almost every year and piss everybody off, turn them off of Christ because they are harsh, unloving and unforgiving.

Way of the Master... pfshshshsh

No way Jesus would act like they do or use their methods.

"Repent and sin no more"

not

"You're going to hell... accept Jesus"

I severely dislike these guys....

And I'm a full-time missionary!
[/quote]

Thats a little harsh don't you think?

I doubt Kirk Cameron is turning people off. Or at least trying to.

And...

A missionary of what? Where do you minister?

Secoundly, I wouldnt pretend to know or presume the actions of GOD. It keeps me outta trouble. Jesus over turned the money tables in the temple and drove people out with a cat of nine tales. I bet no one was expecting Jesus do that. The idea is. I wouldnt presume anything, it keeps you outta trouble.

Edited by Convert4888

Cow of Shame

[quote name='God Conquers' post='1008238' date='Jun 19 2006, 01:22 PM']
"So I guess my question is, what would you say if Kirk Cameron stopped you on the street and asked if you thought you were a good person?"

I'd fight him.
[/quote]

So, you'd coldcock him right there?

"What do [i]YOU[/i] think, Kirk?!"

[quote name='God Conquers' post='1008238' date='Jun 19 2006, 12:22 PM']"Repent and sin no more"[/quote]:thumbsup:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1008253' date='Jun 19 2006, 12:36 PM']So, do you have an opinion?[/quote]:ohno: nope, i don't think so