An Old School Catholic Message Board

questions, questions, questions......

Domine ut Videam

Hi Lauren,

I guess hi-jacking your own thread is OK. :) I could go on and on about how you wouldn't be abandoning your family and how your vocation will, in the end, only make your family holier and stronger but I fear that people here might be getting tired of hearing it and think I'm nothing but a broken record. :)

There is a pinned thread called "Parents of Religious". You've already seen it once but you might want to check it out again or maybe have your folks check it out as well. There are 4 parents of religious who have responded in that thread to what it's like to have a child who is a religious.

Of course, if you have any specific questions, or your parents do, that are personal please feel free to PM me.

God Bless,

Michael

[quote]The words of the consecration during their Mass is in Aramaic, which is what Jesus spoke.[/quote]

That is excellent.

Domine ut Videam

Thanks Dare and Dad,

I know that i should continue and proceed.....but i can't help but feel i am abandoning them. It is also bad because it is the summer, my informal spiritual director (who was also just assigned as the pastor to a medium sized parish too) is very busy and i just don't want to bother him. So i suppose that i am going to have to go to my parish priest, becuase i just have a lot of questions and i really need to talk to a priest and get some advice in the flesh. It also helps because my parish priest knows my parents.....so maybe he will better be able to help me discern what i should do. I guess i will ask him if i can talk to him sometime next week........... :idontknow:

Any other suggestions? Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

And yes dad, i am sort of hijacking my thread. ^_^ That is why i gave it a nice vague title; so i could ask all sorts of questions. I just started it with a specific one. :P:

-Yours in Christ
Lauren

daugher-of-Mary

I'm not a parent...just an 18 year old who also feels very strongly called to contemplative life. My thought is, make some initial contact with communities you are interested in. Start writing letters! Also, explain your family situation to the communities you write to. Often, the Sisters have been in similar situations and will have some very good advice. Praying for you and your family, my sister in Christ! He has a way of arranging every little detail for His future brides. ;)

memory-singer

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' post='1013053' date='Jun 27 2006, 06:35 AM']
:bump: any more advice y'all.................... :P:
[/quote]

Yes. Call your informal spiritual director. It's for him to decide if he's too busy. And pray for your parents unceasingly.

Pax,

Dare

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' post='1012036' date='Jun 25 2006, 06:40 PM']
Thanks Dare and Dad,

I know that i should continue and proceed.....but i can't help but feel i am abandoning them. It is also bad because it is the summer, my informal spiritual director (who was also just assigned as the pastor to a medium sized parish too) is very busy and i just don't want to bother him. So i suppose that i am going to have to go to my parish priest, becuase i just have a lot of questions and i really need to talk to a priest and get some advice in the flesh. It also helps because my parish priest knows my parents.....so maybe he will better be able to help me discern what i should do. I guess i will ask him if i can talk to him sometime next week........... :idontknow:
Any other suggestions? Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

And yes dad, i am sort of hijacking my thread. ^_^ That is why i gave it a nice vague title; so i could ask all sorts of questions. I just started it with a specific one. :P:

-Yours in Christ
Lauren
[/quote]

Lauren,

Now stop that. You know you are not abandoning them. Now true, you will be leaving their home, when you are of age (at least 18) and you will begin your own life. Whether to religious life or married life you [u]will[/u] leave them. OK this is hard for us parents who love our children so much but we know it must be this way. After all, it's what we did.

Lauren, you must do God's will, and if He is calling you to consecrated life then this is where your true happiness will be found. You've tried to explain to them that they are not losing you that you will be closer than ever but they can't see that right now. In time with God's grace they will see it and it will bring them such joy. Pray for this. But whether they accept it or not, this decision is yours to make. When your are of age of course.

Continue to speak to your SD about how you are to grow in love and thus holiness, but try not to focus too much on this or that community, or this or that apostolate or where you should go. Wait until you are of age to openly and actively persue these options (only because of your circumstances). Live in the present moment, with your eyes on Jesus, accept things as they come and earnestly pray that He will grant your desire.

You are in my prayers.
Mr. Ray

[quote name='stlmom' post='1013210' date='Jun 28 2006, 07:39 AM']
Wonderful words Mr. Ray!
[/quote]
I completely agree!! :D: