Thy Geekdom Come Posted June 25, 2006 Posted June 25, 2006 So...the last Adam Sandler movie, 50 First Dates, despite some sexually crude humor, was mostly a pretty good movie. His new movie, which is almost entirely sexually crude humor, is not a good movie. "Click" is by far the WORST movie for immoral content I have seen since "10." My friends and I found it necessary to get up and walk out on it. The movie completely degrades the nature of human sexuality and uses nearly pornographic means to do so. The bishops gave it an A-III, which is shocking to me, as it deserves a triple-O. Just thought I'd put the warning out there.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted June 25, 2006 Author Posted June 25, 2006 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1011873' date='Jun 25 2006, 08:59 AM'] Worst since 10? Wow... that's pretty bad. [/quote] Indeed...it didn't have direct pornography, but the "implied pornography," as I'll call it, was extremely crude.
lifeteenchick527 Posted June 25, 2006 Posted June 25, 2006 whats A-III or w/e it was.... mean God Bless LTC
Jaime Posted June 25, 2006 Posted June 25, 2006 The Bo Derek movie that put all girls in jamaican braids
God Conquers Posted June 25, 2006 Posted June 25, 2006 oh.... never heard of it... I thought it was slang or some such for another more recent movie. I guess it's better I haven't heard of it! Jamaican Braids are SO scandalous!
Thy Geekdom Come Posted June 25, 2006 Author Posted June 25, 2006 Well, anyway...bad movie. Should be rated O, in my opinion.
kateri05 Posted June 25, 2006 Posted June 25, 2006 really? i just had friends say that they thought it had a really graet message! well shucks...
jswranch Posted June 26, 2006 Posted June 26, 2006 Re: USCCB movie ratings I am trying to figure these out also. My understanding is that they are a balance between good teachings and immoral or crude material. Here is the good mentioned in the USCCB review: [quote]Fitfully compelling fantasy about a workaholic architect (Adam Sandler) who receives a remote-control device from a mysterious inventor (Christopher Walken) allowing him to fast-forward through life. Frank Coraci's uneven and predictable film begins as a comedy (and a fairly crude one at that), then turns almost tragic when the protagonist gets a chance to see into the future, leading him to regret his all-consuming work habits and coming to the profound realization that family comes first.[/quote] Note the last comment about family. The immoral is for "Unneeded vulgar humor including flatulence, innuendo, and sexual sight gags, crude language and expressions, profanity, promiscuity, ethnic stereotyping, transgender character and drug references." Between the good and the bad, it got an A-III. Also, note the USCCB ratings for Nacho Libre. US film- PG. USCCB-O.
homeschoolmom Posted June 26, 2006 Posted June 26, 2006 I wish they'd just use grades like report cards... I can't figure this system out.
Socrates Posted June 26, 2006 Posted June 26, 2006 (edited) [quote name='jswranch' post='1012062' date='Jun 25 2006, 05:31 PM'] Re: USCCB movie ratings I am trying to figure these out also. My understanding is that they are a balance between good teachings and immoral or crude material. Here is the good mentioned in the USCCB review: Note the last comment about family. The immoral is for "Unneeded vulgar humor including flatulence, innuendo, and sexual sight gags, crude language and expressions, profanity, promiscuity, ethnic stereotyping, transgender character and drug references." Between the good and the bad, it got an A-III. Also, note the USCCB ratings for Nacho Libre. US film- PG. USCCB-O. [/quote] [i]Nacho Libre[/i] got an O (Morally Offensive)??? That movie was pretty squeaky clean by modern standards. I suppose they could be offended by references to wanting to "break our vows of celibacy and get married," but in the context it was fairly innocuous silliness (and they never broke their vows). If this is true, it is just more indication that the USCCB ratings are totally worthless. This same USCCB some years back did not give an "O" rating to the infamous [i]Priest[/i] (a graphic movie about homosexual and adulturous priests which bashed the Church), nor did it originally give an "O" to [i]Brokeback Mountain[/i] (changing the rating only after outside protest). Generally, the USCCB ratings have had more to do with political correctness than morality, which is why I generally tend to ignore them. Edited June 26, 2006 by Socrates
Era Might Posted June 26, 2006 Posted June 26, 2006 Generally, I think the USCCB reviews are pretty good, but they baffle me sometimes. A lot of people probably think the reviews come from the Bishops, but it's just a subcommittee in the USCCB. It's not like the Bishops are getting together reviewing films. Take the reviews for what they're worth. There are some good independent lay reviewers out there (eg, Steven Greydanus).
Socrates Posted June 26, 2006 Posted June 26, 2006 [quote name='Era Might' post='1012082' date='Jun 25 2006, 06:05 PM'] Generally, I think the USCCB reviews are pretty good, but they baffle me sometimes. A lot of people probably think the reviews come from the Bishops, but it's just a subcommittee in the USCCB. It's not like the Bishops are getting together reviewing films. Take the reviews for what they're worth. There are some good independent lay reviewers out there (eg, Steven Greydanus). [/quote] I'm aware that it's not the Bishops themselves - and it seems many Catholics give these ratings way more weight than they're worth, as if they're part of the Church's official teaching. They do tend to be extremely inconsistant in their standards. (Which is probably to be expected from committees of different people watching a movie, then voting on it)
Era Might Posted June 26, 2006 Posted June 26, 2006 Yah, they seem to be really harsh against violence, and less demanding when it comes to sexual innuendo. But I think the sexual stuff is far more dangerous, because although mindless violence is no good, most people aren't tempted to go blow things up when they see it in a movie. Lust, on the other hand, is an immediate and perpetual temptation for most people.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted June 26, 2006 Author Posted June 26, 2006 [quote name='kateri05' post='1012016' date='Jun 25 2006, 04:18 PM'] really? i just had friends say that they thought it had a really graet message! well shucks... [/quote] It may have had a great message, but the way they tried to show it was drenched in sexual perversion. By the way, in reference to the comments on the bishops' ratings...they're often inconsistent. The Matrix got an O, but the sequels, which were far worse, didn't.
iggy Posted June 26, 2006 Posted June 26, 2006 Thanks for the heads up, Raph. I almost went to see it.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted June 26, 2006 Author Posted June 26, 2006 [quote name='iggy' post='1012181' date='Jun 25 2006, 10:03 PM'] Thanks for the heads up, Raph. I almost went to see it. [/quote] Oh, Iggy...I don't even want to imagine how shocked you would have been.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now