An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Vigilante Jusitce Moral?

Resurrexi

Is Vigilante Justice moral?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Laudate_Dominum

I would say it absolutely can be, it really depends on the specifics. There is nothing in the moral that says that you have to be an official law enforcement officer to intervene in crime. If the scenario is truly just then it is quite possibly moral.

Why do you ask?

I watched Nightmare on Elm Street and was wondering if the parents going and killing Freddie Kruger after he was freed by a techincality was just.

Edited by StThomasMore

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='DAF' post='1018303' date='Jul 6 2006, 10:55 AM']
Well I think throwing Freddy Kruger into the mix changes things a bit. :D
[/quote]
:hehehe:

Guest JeffCR07

Just as a thought experiment:

It seems that "vigilante justice" is at least supported by immediate intuition. If our intuition was that vigilante justice is immoral, then we would find Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and most "superheroes" (not to mention Robin Hood) to be immoral. My contention is that we do not find these characters immoral, and, as such, our intuition is that vigilante justice is not intrinsically evil, but rather, that it has a tendency to get out of hand in practice, and as such should be curtailed.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

It seems that "vigilante justice" is at least supported by immediate intuition. If our intuition was that vigilante justice is immoral, then we would find Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and most "superheroes" (not to mention Robin Hood) to be immoral. My contention is that we do not find these characters immoral, and, as such, our intuition is that vigilante justice is not intrinsically evil, but rather, that it has a tendency to get out of hand in practice, and as such should be curtailed.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

[quote name='JeffCR07' post='1018394' date='Jul 6 2006, 12:45 PM']

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff
[/quote]
Actually, Frank Miller's 80's Batman stories, [i]The Dark Knight Returns[/i] and [i]Batman: Year One[/i] deal with these issues in an interesting way.

Batman: moral
Robin: immoral
superman; moral
WonderWoman: immoral
Hulk: immoral
mini-fee: immoral
Pokemons: immoral
SuperDog: immoral
Captain America: moral
Spiderman: immoral
Mr.CanoeHead: moral (one of the great Canadien superheros he is!)
CatWoman: immoral
Wolverine: immoral
Storm: immoral
Pink: immoral
the Brain: moral

Its really simple when you look at it.