An Old School Catholic Message Board

Circumcision

pyranima

Ok i realize this is going to sound like a very strange question so let me preface it by how this question came about. i was looking at the old covenant and decided to look at the importance of circumcision. then out of curiousity i decided to look at the stats on circumcision in todays world and it seems to me to have no religious value the stats i looked at showed that it was mostly secular reasons why people had children circumcised. newadvent.com makes a ref. to juadizers doing it. but it seems to me that in modern times its (at least here in the states) a pagan thing. it has no real value other than look and seems to be secular in nature today, so my question is should Catholics or any Christian for that matter circumcise their male son. isnt circumcision for secular reasons nothing more than genital mutulation thus unethical? just a few mindless rambleings but i am curious to know what others think.

Edited by pyranima

Mateo el Feo

In the US, circumcision is chosen for medical reasons (outside the Jewish population). I wouldn't say that the US population is doing something "pagan," though. I think "secular" is the right term.

If circumcism were of itself unethical or immoral, God would not have commanded it.

Today it is done mostly for health/sanitation reasons, though its merits are debated.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1018669' date='Jul 6 2006, 06:56 PM']
If circumcism were of itself unethical or immoral, God would not have commanded it.

Today it is done mostly for health/sanitation reasons, though its merits are debated.
[/quote]
It was a blood oath with God i believe that religious reasons do make some kind of allowance, however it is mutulation from everything i have read a man looses 10,000 nevers from circumcison. as someone with foreskin and considering it is a natural part of the male body i can attest that there is no medical reason for circumcision there are many many men who are not circumcised and never have a problem those who do simply do not take care to clean it. without any religious obligation or medical reason i believe it is immoral to mutulate a male child. let me ask the opposite question for the women in the forum, would it be ethical to circumcise female children?

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1018648' date='Jul 6 2006, 06:26 PM']
I was mutilated??
:unsure:
:sadder:
[/quote]
to respond simply yes.

Semperviva

there is no moral obligation to have this done to one's son. people in contemporary america do it because its commonly accepted, but as aforementioned the health benefits are debated.

so female circumcision is ok also? i think is kind of wrong that someone has the option to mutalate me at birth without my permission but because someone is a girl they cant do the same to them. think about it that is a lot of nevers to just cut off a boy because you dont like how it looks, its like... oh you have a nuckle you dont need your nuckle on your pinkey finger let me just cut that off for you.

female circumcision is a tad different.

Its removing the clitoris. that's a much bigger deal than trimming a little foreskin

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1018742' date='Jul 6 2006, 08:32 PM']
female circumcision is a tad different.

Its removing the clitoris. that's a much bigger deal than trimming a little foreskin
[/quote]
when i was wilder i had a friend who pierced her clitoris sliped in the tub and ripped it out. from the conversation we had she can still feel pleasure their however it is quite different. Circumcision causes several problems from what i understand, reduced sensitivity of the gland, lack of natural lubrication, removal of 10,000 nerves (which end to end reach 2 miles in length). basically i cant understand why to get it done? ok for a Jew i understand, its like baptism, but for a nonJew its cosmetic its damage done to the human body, and you are doing it to a child without permission because YOU like the way it looks. does anyone else see a problem with this?

we are not talking about removing skin from your leg or your stomach but we are talking about removing skin with a HIGH number of nerves in it. its not like piercing an ear where the person can take it out later with no one the wiser. this is a serious body alteration on someone who didnt ask for it. i dont know maybe because i have some friends who have "problems" with tightness when they get... but i just dont see the point in an surgery that is not needed. [url="http://www.noharmm.org/bestinterest.htm"]http://www.noharmm.org/bestinterest.htm[/url]

Edited by pyranima

[quote name='pyranima' post='1018640' date='Jul 6 2006, 07:17 PM']
Ok i realize this is going to sound like a very strange question so let me preface it by how this question came about. i was looking at the old covenant and decided to look at the importance of circumcision. then out of curiousity i decided to look at the stats on circumcision in todays world and it seems to me to have no religious value the stats i looked at showed that it was mostly secular reasons why people had children circumcised. newadvent.com makes a ref. to juadizers doing it. but it seems to me that in modern times its (at least here in the states) a pagan thing. it has no real value other than look and seems to be secular in nature today, so my question is should Catholics or any Christian for that matter circumcise their male son. isnt circumcision for secular reasons nothing more than genital mutulation thus unethical? just a few mindless rambleings but i am curious to know what others think.
[/quote]
i think my thread is weirder

Why are you so concerned anyway? Clearly you're not circumcised. I'm sure those of us who are, would attest that we're not particularly interested in starting a social movement over it.

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=54052"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=54052[/url]

Semperviva

[b] i think is kind of wrong that someone has the option to mutalate me at birth without my permission but because someone is a girl they cant do the same to them. think about it that is a lot of nevers to just cut off a boy because you dont like how it looks, its like...[/b]

i see your point. it would be frivolous to circumcise for cosmetic reasons.

circumcision was instigated by God in the old testament as a result of [i]disobedience[/i] to the law. it wasent suppoesd to feel good. it was a sacrifice. right where it hurts the most, thats how chris west put it.

no-one is denying the multiplicity of nerves. lol

Edited by Semperviva