An Old School Catholic Message Board

Psychological Testing

Like a Child

Like a Child

I know I've seen a question like this posted on this forum before, but can anyone (preferably women discerning/entering religious life) offer any insight into what is involved in the psychological evaluations applicants must undergo to enter a community?

What are the questions like? What do you think most communities are looking for in a woman? (In case it makes a difference, I'm speaking primarily about active orders.)

Thanks!

Yeah, anyone know what these "psychologists" look for?

I am a male planning to become a priest, and I want to know what these evaluations are like.

I have heard horror stories about seminary "gatekeepers" keeping out orthodox young men, and I am afraid some orders might reject me for being too young, even if their minimum age is 18...many orders seem to want people to "experience the world" first...which I think is rather ridiculous.

Why do seminaries and orders reject people? The idea scares me when there is a shortage...

I am a woman discerning religious life (okay, so that part may be obvious). This past year I took all the psychological evaluations necessary to enter religious life (the evaluations are pretty much the same across the board for women and men). My situation is slightly different... Ihad to take the tests as part of a class on lay spiritual formation, not for enterance to a specific community.

The entire process is just to help to get to know you better, and for your potential community to know you better. That's why they are just a *part* of the application process. Often times you can ask a community to recommend a psychologist to you. They are professionals; chances are you're not the first person to come to them who is discerning religious life.

As far as what the communities are "looking for".... ask them! Go and visit, make a retreat, be in contact with the Vocation Director, talk to novices and postulants if possible. If they are looking for something it's maturity--spiritual, emotional well-being.

And I think that sort of ties into batteddy's question about why seminaries don't take every applicant. There could be a whole host of reasons... a candidate may have family obligations (ie, a parent to take care of), debts to pay off, stagnant spiritual growth, lack of emotional well-being. And I hear your concern about this fact, particularly in light of shortages, but we must trust in the Holy Spirit that we are guided to make right decisions. After all, I'd rather have a few priests who are confident and compitent in their calling, than an abundance of wishy washy men. (Same goes for those in married and single vocations too-- mature commitment is key).

Well, I'm rambling now... there are many others who've taken the psych tests. So hopefully they'll add their two cents, too.

:)

DeoOptimoMaximo

I took my psych tests to become a priest a couple of months ago. They really aren't that bad. Probably 400 multiple choice questions taken on the computer, then about a 2 hr or so interview... includes personal vocation story, family background, development, etc...

For more info PM me!

God Bless!

Like a Child

Thanks for your responses!

I guess I worry because about ten years ago, I had a really hard time with depression and anxiety. I was diagnosed with "panic disorder," which basically means you have a chemical imbalance that causes you to have panic attacks. Now, a decade later, I am perfectly sound in mind. I haven't had panic attacks for years and I'm not depressed anymore. In fact, I don't think I would be as strong and healthy as I am now if I had not gone through that difficult time. In large part, I have therapy and medication to thank.

The problem is, I am still on the anti-depressant that helped me get out of that whole mess. I'm actually not sure I need it anymore. . .but every time I try to go off it the physical withdrawal symptoms are terrible. I don't really get anxious or anything, I just feel sick when I lower my dose. So, I'm wondering if being on this medicine will send up red flags for the communities with which I am discerning. What if my body DOES still need the medicine and I DO have to stay on it?

I hope that I will not be judged based on the fact that I am taking the medicine, because anyone who interacts with me can see that I am mentally healthy, well adjusted, and emotionally mature. But still I wonder. . . :(

I am also on anti-depressents an experience a bad withdrawl when I lower my dose. I am worried about that.

Also, we are getting me tested for sleep apnoea. Could that be a problem? I'd probably just have to wear a device in my mouth at night to keep my throat open...

franciscanheart

for you, batteddy, i would guess that sleep apnoea won't be a problem. my dad has it and he wears the mouthpiece. it's great and very easy. from what i can tell so far with my father, it's a one time fix. (it's been several years now.)

Philosopher

[quote name='batteddy' post='1027444' date='Jul 19 2006, 10:55 PM']
Yeah, anyone know what these "psychologists" look for?

I am a male planning to become a priest, and I want to know what these evaluations are like.

I have heard horror stories about seminary "gatekeepers" keeping out orthodox young men, and I am afraid some orders might reject me for being too young, even if their minimum age is 18...many orders seem to want people to "experience the world" first...which I think is rather ridiculous.

Why do seminaries and orders reject people? The idea scares me when there is a shortage...
[/quote]

Luckily booting Orthodox young men is coming to an end, so that is not too much of a problem anymore (granted it still happens).

When taking your test, and talking to the psycologist, just be honest and humble. Being humble, or at very least, [b]trying[/b] :P: to be honestly humble, is the best component to being accepted into the seminary and staying.

Last of all, get excited! No matter your vocation, we are finally entering into the new spring time! (Most especially in America ^_^) Enjoy the times we are coming into!

fearundercontrol

If you're on an anti-depressant, I'll tell you upfront that I have heard that there aren't any communities that accept women who are on anti-depressants. That was a blow in the face to me. I've been told directly from several communities, and then heard from other people that it just doesn't happen.

One thing I have heard, however, is that diet can make a big difference in how you feel. Things like caffeine, simple sugars, etc. are things that you need to cut back on (or, ideally cut out, but that can be rather difficult if you're like me lol). Apparantly this stuff is stuff that your body just doesn't know how to deal with, so it alters basically your entire body chemistry in order to adapt to it. And being female, having the crazy hormones doesn't help matters any. I found all this out from Mark Hart when I talked with him at a conference last month. He said that he knows some people that have been able to get off meds just by changing their diets. So, make fruits, veggies, water, and all that other good stuff your friends. And exercise. And get proper sleep and all that too. As far as getting withdrawl from cutting back on the medication, I don't know what to tell you. Pray hard, I guess. St. Dymphna's a good one. I've also been praying for the intercession of JPII for me to get off my meds. Feel free to join me. ;)

Peace,
Allison

Edited by fearundercontrol

• 4 weeks later...
she_who_is_not

Hey guys,
I just found this thread. I was diagnosed with panic disorder and depression but do to family history I was given a thyroid screening. Thyroid disorder can have a major impact on mood, weight, and can cause some other scary symptoms. Hyper and hypo thyroid disorders are both easily controlled by diet, mineral supplements, or an inexpensive medication. I would recomend getting screened if you think that might be a cause because it is so easy to treat and makes a huge difference. I would also reccomend an herbal supplement called Rescue Remedy made with Bach Flower essences for transitioning off of anti-depressants.

I know of a few ridiculous questions on the test as I found out on the seminarian retreat....

"Do you like to torture small animals?"

"Is Europe to blame for all the world's problems"

[quote name='fearundercontrol' post='1028905' date='Jul 22 2006, 04:02 PM']
If you're on an anti-depressant, I'll tell you upfront that I have heard that there aren't any communities that accept women who are on anti-depressants. That was a blow in the face to me. I've been told directly from several communities, and then heard from other people that it just doesn't happen.

[/quote]

+

Fortunately, this is NOT true -I'm afraid you've been misinformed. Young women, who have a history of anxiety/depression, but have been stable for several years ARE accepted to religious life. If you want, pm me about this and I can give you more details.

Blessings :)

[quote name='Like a Child' post='1023724' date='Jul 13 2006, 01:58 PM']
I know I've seen a question like this posted on this forum before, but can anyone (preferably women discerning/entering religious life) offer any insight into what is involved in the psychological evaluations applicants must undergo to enter a community?

What are the questions like? What do you think most communities are looking for in a woman? (In case it makes a difference, I'm speaking primarily about active orders.)

Thanks!
[/quote]

+

You'll most likely take the MMPI. Then, they'll ask you about your past and recent history. Mostly, they want to know about your motivation (that it's pure) and that for the last couple years you've been stable (no major disorders). Don't worry! :)

she_who_is_not

[quote name='the_rev' post='1046806' date='Aug 20 2006, 02:09 PM']
I know of a few ridiculous questions on the test as I found out on the seminarian retreat....

"Do you like to torture small animals?"

"Is Europe to blame for all the world's problems"
[/quote]

Actually, I make my cats do dance/cheerleading routines for guests, which is jokingly referred to as "kitty torture time." But I don't think that is what they are interested in. :kitten: :kitten: :kitten: :kitten: :kitten: :kitten: :kitten: :kitten: :kitten:

I'm always paranoid that the psychologist will make some kind of wild inference from something that you tell him. Like "yeah, I was a brat as a kid" turns into "clearly he has anger control issues." Or, "I was always in trouble as a kid" turns into "he was emotionally abused by his parents. He's clinically unstable. he needs a drug. [writes prescription]" lol