An Old School Catholic Message Board

Psychological Testing

Like a Child

SeekingHisPlan

[quote name='the_rev' post='1047151' date='Aug 21 2006, 10:28 AM']
What they look for on this test is consistent honesty. But really I have no idea how they can do that.
[/quote]

I say this from the perspective of someone who is working on (almost done!) a psych degree. I have no experience with psych testing related to discernment/entrance

On many psychological tests they will do things like;

Question 12 is exactly the same as question 234 and responses will be compared. This may occur several times in the test. It might not matter if you "slightly agree" to 12 and "agree" to 234, but if you agree to one and disagree to the other, it may raise eyebrows, know what I mean?

Question 56 is formulated to ask the exact opposite thing to question 210, so your answers should be exactly opposite. (Eg- if you "strongly agree" to one, you should "strongly disagree" to its opposite.

Your response pattern may be screened for an over-effort to appear "socially acceptable." For example there are some types of questions to which the most common answer is not necessarily the most socially desirable answer. Most people would have to answer "disagree" to the item, "I have never knowingly lied, even a white lie." If you give an answer opposite to what is expected on a number of those questions, it does raise the issue of attempting to appear more socially acceptable. If course, if the socially acceptabe answer really is the true answer, good on you! That's why not everything is determined by those multiple choice tests.

Edited by SeekingHisPlan

What would the interview be like? The Monk scene-sitting in chairs on opposite sides of the room with your hands on your knees looking at your shoes while the guy scribbles secret notes on a yellow pad asking you if you like "sugar and heroine, and you can only answer yes or no." Lol
I.e. would it be casual or formal?