brendan1104 Posted July 15, 2006 Posted July 15, 2006 I don't think this has been asked on phatmass before. What are our ethnic backgrounds? When Americans respond to the common question: "What are you," do they respond with "American." While I was born an American, I'm happy to say I'm a European mutt: 25% Sicilian. 25% German. 25% Czech. 25% U.K.- English, Irish, Scottish. Please vote- and specify/describe your answer with a post. Thanks!
homeschoolmom Posted July 15, 2006 Posted July 15, 2006 [quote name='God Conquers' post='1024764' date='Jul 14 2006, 06:48 PM'] 7/8ths Irish, 1/8th French What qualifies as American? 4th Gen, 5th, 6th? [/quote] [quote name='brendan1104' post='1024766' date='Jul 14 2006, 06:56 PM'] It's interesting- if an American is asked- in America- "what are you?" they normally don't say American, but rather Greek, Polish, Spanish, etc. [/quote] [quote name='brendan1104' post='1024774' date='Jul 14 2006, 07:04 PM'] Nobody's picked Australian... where's Fr. Cappie? : [/quote] [quote name='Cam42' post='1024782' date='Jul 14 2006, 07:10 PM'] 100% Irish. Father's family are from Co. Kerry Mom's family were Dubliners [/quote] [quote name='fiat voluntas tua' post='1024783' date='Jul 14 2006, 07:11 PM'] 1/2 hungarian 3/8 german 1/8 irish [/quote] [quote name='DAF' post='1024787' date='Jul 14 2006, 07:13 PM'] I'm pretty eclectic, though mostly Russian and Czech. [/quote] [quote name='Church Punk' post='1024794' date='Jul 14 2006, 07:26 PM'] 25%German 25%Irish 25%English 25%French [/quote] [quote name='the_rev' post='1024801' date='Jul 14 2006, 07:35 PM'] Croation/Irish [/quote] [quote name='Era Might' post='1024802' date='Jul 14 2006, 07:35 PM'] 2nd generation American. Mother from America. Father from Honduras. Not sure where my white peeps descend from. Maybe Newfoundland or Denmark. My last name is a city in a Spain, so I figure some of my brown peeps must have went to Central America to colonize or something a long time, and mixed with the indigenous peeps there. [/quote] [quote name='Seven77' post='1024810' date='Jul 14 2006, 07:46 PM'] Asian American India! *Street Fighter 2 voice* [/quote] [quote name='crazyc' post='1024815' date='Jul 14 2006, 07:55 PM'] Mom's family--Finnish and Croatian Dad's family--French and a little Irish [/quote] And me... I'm French, German, English and Swiss.
Sojourner Posted July 15, 2006 Posted July 15, 2006 Mostly English Some Scotch Some Irish Some Native American
memory-singer Posted July 15, 2006 Posted July 15, 2006 Hi, Mom is Vietnamese/French Dad is Jewish/American Dare is mixed. (and mixed up too)
dUSt Posted July 15, 2006 Posted July 15, 2006 50% German 25% Irish 12.5% Bohemian 12.5% Native American My kids are: 43.75% African 25% German 12.5% Irish 12.5% Native American 6.25% Bohemian My dog is: 100% Rodent
zabbazooey Posted July 15, 2006 Posted July 15, 2006 (edited) 1/8th cherokee indian russian jew danish irish scottish english italian greek german and thats it....i'm a heinz 57 Edited July 15, 2006 by zabbazooey
indescribable Posted July 15, 2006 Posted July 15, 2006 when do you start calculating in american blood? that always confused me. my friends would say they were 50% italian and 50% german and i would ask if their parents were immigrants from italy and germany, and they would get mad at me! i personally have a true 1/8 of swedish, 1/8 of german (if you would water it down with time in the good ole US) otherwise, my paternal family (traced back to a barbaric germanic tribe, also one of the first converts to christianity in germany, also sounds like "god" in german) has been dragged across most of europe. i have german, french, english, irish, italian, and probably some others mixed in. hard to tell.
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted July 15, 2006 Posted July 15, 2006 Irish German I am told French and Dutch as well. Don't know of anything else. I am not really sure if my last name is the same as it was many years ago, making my geneaology a mystery.
CrossCuT Posted July 15, 2006 Posted July 15, 2006 [size=1][color="FF6699"]90% German [/color][/size]
jiyoung Posted July 15, 2006 Posted July 15, 2006 Completely Korean. My parents emigrated here the year I was born. I don't think there's really "American blood" because nobody's actually native here (not even native americans, because they're technically immigrants too--walking over the bering strait or something from asia)
avemaria40 Posted July 15, 2006 Posted July 15, 2006 (edited) English (both sides but not sure how much) Scottish(dad's side but not sure how much) 1/4 Tuscan Italian (Florentine to be exact, dad's side) 1/8 Austrian Jew (if you're talking about Jewish as ethnicity, also my dad's side) Spanish(probably a small amount and also on my dad's side) German (both sides but not exactly sure on percentage) And I am an American, so I consider myself European American. Edited July 15, 2006 by avemaria40
journeyman Posted July 15, 2006 Posted July 15, 2006 11th to 13th generation born within the continental boundaries of North America (depends on which family tree I'm climbing) predominantly English, with a smattering of Irish, German and Scot
Lilllabettt Posted July 15, 2006 Posted July 15, 2006 My father's family came to this country from Romania, in 1953. My mother's family has been in this country forever. They're plain old Americans I guess. I think the reason people respond with "I'm German/English/Irish" or whatever, is that when an American is asking another American the question "what are you?" they assume they're asking about ethnicity, as opposed to nationality. Everyone sort of assumes everyone else is an American.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted July 16, 2006 Posted July 16, 2006 (edited) Rough estimation 25% Black Irish (Irish descended from the Moors) 25% Scotch-Irish (Northern Irish) 25% German 12.5% Polish Jew 12.5% Polish (Straight) It's a rough estimation because there is a Native American tribe somewhere in the mix. God willing, my kids will be: Black Irish, Scotch-Irish, German, Polish Jew, Polish, Portuguese, Cherokee, and Creek Edited July 16, 2006 by Raphael
Socrates Posted July 16, 2006 Posted July 16, 2006 German, Norwegian, Scotch-Irish, Welsh, Irish, English, Cherokee, probably other ethnicities as well. I don't generally like the idea of "hyphenated-Americans" though. [quote name='Sojourner' post='1024842' date='Jul 14 2006, 07:43 PM'] Mostly English Some Scotch Some Irish Some Native American [/quote] So you've got some Scotch in you, do you? It's been a long time since I've had any Scotch in me, as I mostly drink beer. The only things that are Scotch are whiskey and tape. People are Scottish (except in the prefix of "Scotch-Irish") Scotch-Irish - Ulster Scots who migrated to Ireland, and many of whom colonized the American rural South and became known as rednecks or hillbillies. (I'm proud of my Arkansas hillbilly ancestry. )
Maria Posted July 16, 2006 Posted July 16, 2006 25% Dutch 37.5% Scottish 25% French Canadian 12.5% Irish Some of the Dutch came from France as Huguenots, and some of the Scottish came from Ireland. There might be some German mixed up with the French Canadian, before it was Canadian.
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted July 16, 2006 Posted July 16, 2006 I went to an Irish-American festival today. It was dope.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now