Azriel Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 The Green Hair thread brought up the subject of 80s ... ok, I brought it up. But ... this thread is for all of you who got to experience ... the joys of Aquanet, parachute pantaloons, and late night viewings of Thriller ... C'mon ... we were the first generation of MTV ... MTV when they played ACTUAL Videos... So, head into the way back machine and tell me what life in the 80s was like for you ...
Adam Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 80's rocked! I liked the 80's better than the 90's!! Hehe man I used to by stylin in some MC Hammer pantaloons.. (early 90's I think though) anyways.. yah 80's > all
IcePrincessKRS Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 We had parachute pantaloons.... And Cyndi Lauper tapes, and we watched WWF wrestling, and Saturday morning cartoons were cooler than they are today... I was born in 1980, though, so I probably didn't experience it quite the same as some of the rest of you guys...
revolutionoflove Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 Talk about 80's flashback... I saw Pretty in Pink on TV the other day and couldn't help but laugh. I used to be so in love with Duckie! Sure Andrew M. had a great smile but Duckie had such style! I cringe when I think of all those hip fashions... God have pity on the soul who invented big bangs! Actually the only thing I really loved about the 80's (besides doc martins) was the music...I was obsessed with Morrissey, the Smith, the Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order... ah, the good old days...now I'm listening to the Winnie the Pooh soundtrack... I'm just a little black rain cloud sailing above the honey tree... but that's okay since I got my own little "Duckie" that I love.
IcePrincessKRS Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 Ah yes... all the teenie-bopper Molly Ringwald movies.... The Breakfast Club...
marielapin Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 I personally love He-Man and She-Ra....and Thundercats
jasJis Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 I got married in '83. Got blessed with my daughters in '86 and '89. I was in my 20's and life was great. Hangin' with friends at a restaraunt/bar for $1 import nites. Had real close friends to play cards and drank beer with. My daughters were so young and seeing the world through their eyes made it all so fresh and new. Got our first house in '85. Life was so lived in the '80's. Man, the '80's were great days looking back. I wonder what they really were like.
jasJis Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 The Breakfast Club rocks. We have it on tape. We watch it with our kids when they turn 14 and talk about it. Some deep stuff, some fun stuff. All of us have half the dialogue memorized and quote the movie all the time. "Demented and sad, but social."
Azriel Posted July 25, 2003 Author Posted July 25, 2003 John Hughes is the KING of the 80s movie. ROL - I'm with ya girl, Ducky rocks.
Kilroy the Ninja Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 I was born in 1970, so the eighties had a real impression on me. (Yeah, I'm old. Get over it) I'm trying to think of cliches about the eighties that I actually owned... Let's see... Parachute pantaloons Rubik's cube (which I eventually destroyed) Jelly sandles Swatch watch Jordache Jeans (which I still have but cannot get into, but just can't let go of. I'm a sad, sad person) Polo shirts Izod shirts Knicker pantaloons Stirup pantaloons I remember the events of, and surrounding the following: Roller disco (early eighties...and yes, I did that too. I was living in CA at the time.) Reganomics Tylenol in Capsules (not Caplets) Using your "Condom Sense" (big campaign when they first discovered AIDS) AIDS Mall bangs Hair Mousse Cabbage Patch dolls Still thinking that the plot of "Fail Safe" still applied in the world. I remember still being under the threat of potential nuclear war. Regan's "Star Wars" The Hostage Crisis in Iran Mary Lou Retton The Smurfs (while they were still French even) Valley Girls (check out this fun site) The Empire Strikes Back (saw in the theater, the first time it was there) Return of the Jedi (ditto!) Raiders of the Lost Ark (Han Solo is REALLY cool!) The Wrath of Khan (Best Star Trek movie, hands down) Amadeus The Breakfast Club St. Elmo's Fire E.T. Poltergeist (the first one - the best one) Nightmare on Elm Street (the original) "Just Say No" "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs..." Andrew "Dice" Clay (the Diceman cometh...) Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax! Duran Duran Gary Neuman (Here in my Car) REAL punk bands The Cars The Bangles Family Ties Madonna (V1.0) Men Without Hats Devo Flock of Seagulls Thompson Twins Mullet haircuts Transformers And probably a ton of other stuff I've somehow forgotten. Give me time....
Kilroy the Ninja Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 How could I forget the man I was going to marry??? Ferris Bueller's Day Off!
hyperdulia again Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 Relax! don't do it, when you wanna go to it...that's enough.
Azriel Posted July 25, 2003 Author Posted July 25, 2003 I was born in 1970, so the eighties had a real impression on me. (Yeah, I'm old. Get over it) I'm trying to think of cliches about the eighties that I actually owned... Let's see... Parachute pantaloons Rubik's cube (which I eventually destroyed) Jelly sandles Swatch watch Jordache Jeans (which I still have but cannot get into, but just can't let go of. I'm a sad, sad person) Polo shirts Izod shirts Knicker pantaloons Stirup pantaloons I remember the events of, and surrounding the following: Roller disco (early eighties...and yes, I did that too. I was living in CA at the time.) Reganomics Tylenol in Capsules (not Caplets) Using your "Condom Sense" (big campaign when they first discovered AIDS) AIDS Mall bangs Hair Mousse Cabbage Patch dolls Still thinking that the plot of "Fail Safe" still applied in the world. I remember still being under the threat of potential nuclear war. Regan's "Star Wars" The Hostage Crisis in Iran Mary Lou Retton The Smurfs (while they were still French even) Valley Girls (check out this fun site) The Empire Strikes Back (saw in the theater, the first time it was there) Return of the Jedi (ditto!) Raiders of the Lost Ark (Han Solo is REALLY cool!) The Wrath of Khan (Best Star Trek movie, hands down) Amadeus The Breakfast Club St. Elmo's Fire E.T. Poltergeist (the first one - the best one) Nightmare on Elm Street (the original) "Just Say No" "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs..." Andrew "Dice" Clay (the Diceman cometh...) Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax! Duran Duran Gary Neuman (Here in my Car) REAL punk bands The Cars The Bangles Family Ties Madonna (V1.0) Men Without Hats Devo Flock of Seagulls Thompson Twins Mullet haircuts Transformers And probably a ton of other stuff I've somehow forgotten. Give me time.... Ditto to all of that. I was born at the beginning of 72, and remember all of that ... plus ... Michael's one sparkly glove waiting up till Midnight to watch the first ever showing of Thriller Roller Skating to Another One Bites the dust Neon everything 867-5309 really did call Jenny Double belts copying Molly Ringwald fashions Being jealous of Jon Bon Jovi's hair (and Vince Neil's makeup ... lol) Sneaking behind Mom's back to watch Purple Rain oh the memories ... I know I missing so much.
Don John of Austria Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 the transformers ROCKED! Where can I get a talking twentyfoot robot which transforms into a car?
Carrie Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 I was also born in 80. The worst was those bike shorts with a bright stripe down the side and a skirt attached to it. My mom would always make me wear them! UGH! And I used to wear big lace bows in my hair like Madonna. I watched Thundercats everyday after school and carried a Strawberry Shortcake lunchbox. I also LOVE 80's movies but didn't discover them until the 80's were over, lol.
Adam Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 I personally love He-Man and She-Ra....and Thundercats He-man rocked, I have like 2 copys of it in .avi format I got off Grokster a long time ago... I liked Nickalodean back then, stuff like Picture Pages, Euchekas Castle, Elphant Show, The Little' Bits, Under the Umbrella Tree, Care Bears, JI Joes, Curious George, man the list goes on!.
BullnaChinaShop Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 I was born in '80 as well. My all-time favorite cartoon is transformers.
jasJis Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 I was born in '60 so I LIVED the 80's. aerobics leg warmers Pharah Cher still looked like she does but showed less skin Micheal was really black cell phones were invented fax machines were invented portable computers was invented (A portable computer was a Kaypro 64. Yeah, 64 bits. There was no such thing as a hard drive and disk ment a 256 bit 5 1/4" disk (they weren't double sided). The were about 16" x 24" x 30" with a pop out keyboard and wighed about 40 pounds. Nintendo!
marielapin Posted July 25, 2003 Posted July 25, 2003 Here ya go, Eighties Galore! http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~lamw/80s/ and by the way, I LOVE Ferris Bueller too...................
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now