An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cassocks vs. clerical suit

DAF

puellapaschalis

In the UK, I believe it's illegal for a Catholic cleric to wear his cassock in public. I [i]believe[/i] - by that I mean that it sounds plausible (there are stacks of laws from around recusant/pre-emancipation times which didn't get repealed), but I can't recall a source for it.

Love and prayers,

PP

I WEAR MY CASSOCK FOR CONFESSIONS AND AT TIMES AT THE PARISH OR WHEN WALKING ESPECIALLY IN THE WINTER. HOWEVER, FOR THE DAY TO DAY HUSTLE OF DIOCESAN PRIEST LIFE THE CLERICAL SUIT IS JUST MORE PRACTICAL AND FUNCTIONAL. I LIKE BOTH.

homeschoolmom

Okay, so... what do you wear under a cassock? Regular clerical outfits? Cuz I would that that would be horribly hot in the summer.

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1025367' date='Jul 17 2006, 02:08 AM']
In the UK, I believe it's illegal for a Catholic cleric to wear his cassock in public. I [i]believe[/i] - by that I mean that it sounds plausible (there are stacks of laws from around recusant/pre-emancipation times which didn't get repealed), but I can't recall a source for it.

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]

That was part of the Emancipation Act which legalised the Catholic Church in the United Kingdom and the then Empire including Australia. The ban on Cassocks and religious habits for men was lifted only in 1971. This was done so Pope Paul VI would not break the law when he came to Australia :shock:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1025466' date='Jul 17 2006, 07:20 AM']
Okay, so... what do you wear under a cassock? Regular clerical outfits? Cuz I would that that would be horribly hot in the summer.
[/quote]

:blush: I didn't know you cared :lol_roll:

homeschoolmom

Well, I care that priests may pass out from heat stroke!

clerical duds already seem hot enough to me...

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1025490' date='Jul 17 2006, 07:53 AM']
Well, I care that priests may pass out from heat stroke!

clerical duds already seem hot enough to me...
[/quote]

:sweat: it can be a little warm but I usually wear very little under my habit in summer......but if you are going out somewhere it's always safer to wear something presentable just in case you have to remove your habit :shock:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1025466' date='Jul 16 2006, 04:20 PM']
[/quote]

I know that you've seen pictures of me in a cassock. Sooooooo.....normally I wear dark slacks and a soft collared shirt or banded white shirt under mine, however, when it is insanely hot, I wear shorts and a T-shirt, with long black socks and black shoes.

Back in the the 19th century and before, there were actually pants made for the cassock which looked like knickers (similar to what Payne Stewart (the golfer) wore, but not so poofy).

If you look at my profile picture you'll see me at St. Peter's holding my cassock and surplice. So, you can get an idea of what I would normally wear, sans jacket.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Pontifex' post='1025464' date='Jul 16 2006, 03:18 PM']
I WEAR MY CASSOCK FOR CONFESSIONS AND AT TIMES AT THE PARISH OR WHEN WALKING ESPECIALLY IN THE WINTER. HOWEVER, FOR THE DAY TO DAY HUSTLE OF DIOCESAN PRIEST LIFE THE CLERICAL SUIT IS JUST MORE PRACTICAL AND FUNCTIONAL. I LIKE BOTH.
[/quote]

Father Pontifex!! :cool: ^_^ :D: :D:

Out of all the priests I know, I think this would be their answer as well!! :saint:

[quote name='Colleen' post='1025379' date='Jul 16 2006, 11:58 AM']
I think it's cool when Priests wear birettas, too. :)
[/quote]

Birettas have never been abolished and outside of North America, they are more commonly used.

The reason that they are no longer used here, is quite trivial, but nevertheless the reason:

In the late 50's and early 60's JFK stopped wearing a hat, so men wearing hats was not in fashion, so out went the biretta, again, it is a style thing....when hats come back, I believe you'll see birettas come back.

homeschoolmom

I wish men (in general) wore hats. My dad always wore one (well, he still does, I guess)... very cool.

[quote name='Cam42' post='1025534' date='Jul 16 2006, 05:24 PM']
Birettas have never been abolished and outside of North America, they are more commonly used.

The reason that they are no longer used here, is quite trivial, but nevertheless the reason:

In the late 50's and early 60's JFK stopped wearing a hat, so men wearing hats was not in fashion, so out went the biretta, again, it is a style thing....when hats come back, I believe you'll see birettas come back.
[/quote]
I saw a Priest wearing one last Sunday. It was cool. :)

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Colleen' post='1025562' date='Jul 16 2006, 04:48 PM']
I saw a Priest wearing one last Sunday. It was cool. :)
[/quote]

wow! Was he a diocesan/parish priest?

[quote name='littleflower+JMJ' post='1025650' date='Jul 16 2006, 08:07 PM']
wow! Was he a diocesan/parish priest?
[/quote]
Yep!