An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lost and Confused

chatbox829

I am lost I feel a call to the religious life I was wondering if anybody else felt like this tell your stories please and the way you helped to accept your Call
Also does anyone know anything about discalced orders info would be great BY the way I new here

Called2theCross

[quote name='chatbox829' post='1027094' date='Jul 18 2006, 08:10 PM']
I am lost I feel a call to the religious life I was wondering if anybody else felt like this tell your stories please and the way you helped to accept your Call
Also does anyone know anything about discalced orders info would be great BY the way I new here
[/quote]

Hi!!! I am new here too!! And equally lost as to what my vocation is!! maybe that's not something to put exclamation points after if you know what I mean....I guess I'm just excited that someone else knows how I feel! I could also use some helpful hints on my path to Christ. I've always wanted to be a mother but lately I've felt God might want me to be a sister. If been getting really anxious about it and I my counselor from my Catholic Camp gave me some great advice....glorify God Now and he will lead you to his call. She told me a story about Mother Theresa. A man asked her to pray for God for him that God would enlighten him as to what God's will was for his life. Mother Theresa said she wouldn't. The man looked disappointed so she explained, "I will pray first that you trust his will." That is what I am working on now!
Mucho Love,
Called2theCross :P:

chatbox829,

Welcome to Phatmass! A calling to the religous life is such a blessing. Rest assured there are lots of folks here called to the religious life and many of them know a lot about the discalced orders.

I'm afraid I am can't answer your questions but I'm positive others can.

God bless,

Michael

[quote name='Called2theCross' post='1027102' date='Jul 18 2006, 08:29 PM']
Hi!!! I am new here too!! And equally lost as to what my vocation is!! maybe that's not something to put exclamation points after if you know what I mean....I guess I'm just excited that someone else knows how I feel! I could also use some helpful hints on my path to Christ. I've always wanted to be a mother but lately I've felt God might want me to be a sister. If been getting really anxious about it and I my counselor from my Catholic Camp gave me some great advice....glorify God Now and he will lead you to his call. She told me a story about Mother Theresa. A man asked her to pray for God for him that God would enlighten him as to what God's will was for his life. Mother Theresa said she wouldn't. The man looked disappointed so she explained, "I will pray first that you trust his will." That is what I am working on now!
Mucho Love,
Called2theCross :P:
[/quote]
same thing i want to get married then what should Jesus Want the oposite!!!! i have learned on thing never tell God Never Jesus tends to then demand of me whatever i dont want to do i just wish i could let go and not worry St Pio puts it best i want to "Pray, Hope, Dont Worry" but it can be hard
Thanks for the Story
Your Friend through Christ Who unites us
Chatbox :D:

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='chatbox829' post='1027124' date='Jul 18 2006, 11:02 PM']
same thing i want to get married then what should Jesus Want the oposite!!!! i have learned on thing never tell God Never Jesus tends to then demand of me whatever i dont want to do i just wish i could let go and not worry St Pio puts it best i want to "Pray, Hope, Dont Worry" but it can be hard
Thanks for the Story
[/quote]

Welcome to Phatmass and more precisely to Vocation Station. I am not one to give vocation advice, but I did want to encourage you, to admire you, and to offer my prayers. As a parent of a religious (and a devout Catholic) I can appreciate the uncertainty you are experiencing.

I heard a very holy priest say a short time ago: (I'm paraphrasing) "If you even have the idea, or the notion, or the thought that you might have a vocation to consecrated life, then you should ASSUME that you do have a vocation and move forward and pursue it." Take the position that you ARE being called to this life of union with God for the sake of the Church. The only question at hand is: where. The call to a religious vocation is really not yours to make. God gives the call by His providence (and being worthy has nothing to do with it). God will normally work through your desires so if you do, He did. Leave the discernment of your vocation to your directors, cuz it is really up to them to see it or not. And God ultimately directs them. So the bottom line (if you have the desire): You have a vocation. Now, how does our dear Jesus, your spouse, want you to serve the Church, His mystical body.

Oh, on the other issue, the fact that you also feel called to marriage and motherhood is a good sign, it is normal and natural and in reality a sign that you have a religious vocation if the desires are still in your heart.

Sorry, I did not want this to sound like advice but this is my idea of encourgaement.

God love you future bride of Christ,
Mr. Ray

[quote name='phatdaddy' post='1027210' date='Jul 19 2006, 08:24 AM']
Welcome to Phatmass and more precisely to Vocation Station. I am not one to give vocation advice, but I did want to encourage you, to admire you, and to offer my prayers. As a parent of a religious (and a devout Catholic) I can appreciate the uncertainty you are experiencing.

I heard a very holy priest say a short time ago: (I'm paraphrasing) "If you even have the idea, or the notion, or the thought that you might have a vocation to consecrated life, then you should ASSUME that you do have a vocation and move forward and pursue it." Take the position that you ARE being called to this life of union with God for the sake of the Church. The only question at hand is: where. The call to a religious vocation is really not yours to make. God gives the call by His providence (and being worthy has nothing to do with it). God will normally work through your desires so if you do, He did. Leave the discernment of your vocation to your directors, cuz it is really up to them to see it or not. And God ultimately directs them. So the bottom line (if you have the desire): You have a vocation. Now, how does our dear Jesus, your spouse, want you to serve the Church, His mystical body.

Oh, on the other issue, the fact that you also feel called to marriage and motherhood is a good sign, it is normal and natural and in reality a sign that you have a religious vocation if the desires are still in your heart.

Sorry, I did not want this to sound like advice but this is my idea of encourgaement.

Mr. Ray
[/quote]
THANKS Mr Ray that is just what i needed to hear(read) thanks a ton :D: J

Called2theCross

quote name='phatdaddy' date='Jul 19 2006, 08:24 AM' post='1027210']

Mr. Ray
[/quote]

That is really inspiring...yet at the same time kind of scary. It's really difficult for me to simply let go and let God take control. I try to tell myself that I will accept God's call fully and whole-heartedly (is that a word?) but, honestly, a religious life sounds completely daunting to me. I've grown up in the suburbs in an environment where you grow up and marry someone and raise a family. Your husband might go into finance or something and you bring your family to church every Sunday, maybe say an occasional rosary. If I were to be a mother, I would raise my family to the best of my Catholic abilities. I would fit into the role of motherhood well, and I don't know anyone who REALLY feels the desire to be a nun. I LOVE kids, so if I were to be a nun, I might want to be like a pediatrician in an impoverished area or something. I'm just apprehensive because I've always looked forward to having my own family and caring for children. Being a nun seems so foreign to me!! HELP! :sweat:
-Called2theCross

quote name='phatdaddy' date='Jul 19 2006, 08:24 AM' post='1027210']

Mr. Ray
[/quote]

That is really inspiring...yet at the same time kind of scary. It's really difficult for me to simply let go and let God take control. I try to tell myself that I will accept God's call fully and whole-heartedly (is that a word?) but, honestly, a religious life sounds completely daunting to me. I've grown up in the suburbs in an environment where you grow up and marry someone and raise a family. Your husband might go into finance or something and you bring your family to church every Sunday, maybe say an occasional rosary. If I were to be a mother, I would raise my family to the best of my Catholic abilities. I would fit into the role of motherhood well, and I don't know anyone who REALLY feels the desire to be a nun. I LOVE kids, so if I were to be a nun, I might want to be like a pediatrician in an impoverished area or something. I'm just apprehensive because I've always looked forward to having my own family and caring for children. Being a nun seems so foreign to me!! HELP! :sweat:
-Called2theCross

Like a Child

Welcome, both of you, to the Vocation Station! I am quite new here myself.

My humble suggestion is to PRAY OFTEN and flat out ask God what He wants of you. He WILL answer you. . .sometimes directly in prayer, sometimes in the form of a deepening and maturing desire, sometimes through the words of those who know you and care about you, sometimes through scripture, sometimes through events that happen in your life.

Perhaps the key is to STAY OPEN. Try to remain totally unbiased as to what you think God wants you to do. That way it will be easier for you to hear and accept your calling. Also, as St. Ignatius suggests, try picturing yourself on your deathbed many years from now. Picture yourself on that deathbed looking back at your life and at the decision you are thinking about making. What decision would give you a sense of fulfillment and "rightness" at the end of your life? Would you feel regret later on if you chose religious life, or if you chose to be married and become a parent?

I hope this helps.

Called2theCross

[quote name='Like a Child' date='Jul 20 2006, 01:11 PM' post='1027560']

My humble suggestion is to PRAY OFTEN and flat out ask God what He wants of you. He WILL answer you. . .sometimes directly in prayer, sometimes in the form of a deepening and maturing desire, sometimes through the words of those who know you and care about you, sometimes through scripture, sometimes through events that happen in your life.

Have you ever just opened the bible to a random page or listened to the gospel in mass, and after listening/reading to the word of God, you realized that He is totally speaking to you? THat happens to me ALL the time! It just amazes me that people choose to say these readings on certain days months and possibly years in advance, and God knew what my sturggles would be and He knew exactly what I needed to hear at that particular moment. Last night, I was stressing out over my vocation when I randomly opened to Psalm 107, titled "God the Savior of Those in Distress." Psalm 4-9 reads, "Some had lost their way in a barren desert, found no path toward a city to live in. THey were hungry and thirsty; their life was ebbing away. In their distress they cried to the Lord, who rescued them in their peril, guided them by a direct path so they reached a city to live in. Let them thank the Lord for such kindness, such wondrous deeds for mere mortals. For he satisfied the thirsty, filled the hungry with good things." And Like a Child, your post totally helped and I really appreciate the advice. It really built upon the bible passage I just mentioned. :D:
-Called2theCross

[quote name='Like a Child' post='1027560' date='Jul 20 2006, 01:11 PM']

Perhaps the key is to STAY OPEN. Try to remain totally unbiased as to what you think God wants you to do. That way it will be easier for you to hear and accept your calling. Also, as St. Ignatius suggests, try picturing yourself on your deathbed many years from now. Picture yourself on that deathbed looking back at your life and at the decision you are thinking about making. What decision would give you a sense of fulfillment and "rightness" at the end of your life? Would you feel regret later on if you chose religious life, or if you chose to be married and become a parent?

I hope this helps.
[/quote]
Like a Child
Thanks that is what i have been trying to do but it has been very hard i am jsut not sure i am ready to accept this vocation :ohno:

Thanks to everyone else for your adviceit really helps to have somebody listening
Thanks Again
J

[quote name='Like a Child' post='1027560' date='Jul 20 2006, 01:11 PM']

I hope this helps.
[/quote]
Like a Child
Thanks that is what i have been trying to do but it has been very hard i am jsut not sure i am ready to accept this vocation :ohno:

Thanks to everyone else for your adviceit really helps to have somebody listening
Thanks Again
J

[quote name='Called2theCross' date='Jul 19 2006, 08:56 PM' post='1027417']
-Called2theCross
i understand fully it scares me but also awes me how Christ Can asks me a hugh sinner to do something like be His Bride oh well for now i will atempt to relax and May His will be done
J

Edited by chatbox829

franciscanheart

Women who would make great mothers (great mothers have to desire to be great mothers - don't forget that) would make great sisters. In the same respect, women who would make great sisters would make great mothers.

The desire for motherhood that you feel in your heart - or perhaps for the different aspects of motherhood - are good and holy and right. God has placed them there for a reason and I would dare say allows them to always be present in a woman's heart. To desire such a blessing is natural and pleasing to God. It must be known though that following your heart to Him and Him alone, without an earthly family of your own seed, is good and holy and right too. God calls us to Himself and it is pleasing to Him that we should answer and follow the path He lays for us. Those women who are called to the sisterhood can (and do) use their natural desires to better serve the Lord and His people. The gifts God gives to you in your womanhood are not squandered upon entrance to a religious community. No, I daresay they are enhanced.

In your prayers, focus not on your mind but on your will to do what God desires. As someone has already said, if you feel you may be called to religious life, pursue that vocation as if you know you are. Find a spiritual director, continue to pray and receive the sacraments often, and allow God to work in your life.

Embracing your vocation does not mean a lack of anxiety or fear. Certainly many people are frightened or nervous at first. Every vocation is huge and is such a merciful gift from the Lord. None of us are worthy. However, if you allow God to move in your heart and you allow your will to be conformed to His own, you will know true joy. Your vocation will bring you all the happiness your heart can hold. No one will ever tell you it will be easy (because no vocation is) but they will tell you how greatly God will bless you.. for turly, religious life is not easy (nor is married life), but if He truly calls you, it is the greatest thing. Above all, if you follow Him, He will not cease to amaze you.

Let Him win your heart. You won't regret it.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1027687' date='Jul 20 2006, 04:09 PM']
Women who would make great mothers (great mothers have to desire to be great mothers - don't forget that) would make great sisters. In the same respect, women who would make great sisters would make great mothers.

The desire for motherhood that you feel in your heart - or perhaps for the different aspects of motherhood - are good and holy and right. God has placed them there for a reason and I would dare say allows them to always be present in a woman's heart. To desire such a blessing is natural and pleasing to God. It must be known though that following your heart to Him and Him alone, without an earthly family of your own seed, is good and holy and right too. God calls us to Himself and it is pleasing to Him that we should answer and follow the path He lays for us. Those women who are called to the sisterhood can (and do) use their natural desires to better serve the Lord and His people. The gifts God gives to you in your womanhood are not squandered upon entrance to a religious community. No, I daresay they are enhanced.

In your prayers, focus not on your mind but on your will to do what God desires. As someone has already said, if you feel you may be called to religious life, pursue that vocation as if you know you are. Find a spiritual director, continue to pray and receive the sacraments often, and allow God to work in your life.

Embracing your vocation does not mean a lack of anxiety or fear. Certainly many people are frightened or nervous at first. Every vocation is huge and is such a merciful gift from the Lord. None of us are worthy. However, if you allow God to move in your heart and you allow your will to be conformed to His own, you will know true joy. Your vocation will bring you all the happiness your heart can hold. No one will ever tell you it will be easy (because no vocation is) but they will tell you how greatly God will bless you.. for turly, religious life is not easy (nor is married life), but if He truly calls you, it is the greatest thing. Above all, if you follow Him, He will not cease to amaze you.

Let Him win your heart. You won't regret it.
[/quote]
well he all ready amazes me but thanks for the advice nothing is easy anymore or so it seems i will "In your prayers, focus not on your mind but on your will to do what God desires" and i am looking for a spiritual director by the way any advice about spiritual directors would be nice :D:
May His will be done
Chatbox

josefamaria

[quote name='chatbox829' post='1027124' date='Jul 18 2006, 09:02 PM']
Thanks for the Story
[/quote]
Welcome, although I am rather new here myself. I, also, don't want to give advice -- only encouragement but I have to tell you that you must not feel that Jesus is demanding anything. I don't feel our Lord demands anything of us as that would be next to forcing and He would not do that---He gave us free will. He is asking--- He is telling you that He loves you and is asking you to be His bride. This is a courtship. Chatbox, you don't have to answer Him right away--He under- stands. The courtship can take months or sometimes years. Ask our Lady to cover you with her mantle and help guide you. And always ask our Lord to give you the desire and courage to follow His will. Just remember---you will still be a mother for if you enter an active order all those you help will become your children. If you enter a cloister--all those you pray for will become your spiritual children. There are so many great active orders out there that desperately need young women to come help---orders that work with "little ones" that have no mothers--you might want to consider those. Anyway, you (and you, too, Called2theCross) are in my prayers. God bless you both and all the others here that are in discernment.

Called2theCross

Thanks, everyone, for the positive encouragement!! It has really aided my discernment. I'm excited to learn about religious life, you're advice has helped me open up to more. If you have any information for me, that would be great and really helpful. Thanks again!!
----Called2theCross :blowkiss: