An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you live in Texas?

shortnun

Hello phriends,

Over the weekend I had a graced opportunity to vacation with a bunch of my girlfriends from college. They all know of my discernment, and have been tremendously supportive. So when one of them mentioned (half jokingly) that she should look into the convent, I told her she totally should! She thought about religious life in high school and now seems that "she just needs to visit convents or something." ( :shock: :lol_roll: ) I told her I'd email her some communities that might be in her neck of the woods... so she could just "go and see"... and so it'd give her something to do at work. :saint:

I know Sr. Mary Michael is from (the other side of) Texas. And I know there are others (Hughey, OLAM Dad?). [b]Does anyone know of sisters in and around the greater Dallas/Ft. Worth area?[/b]

I'd be much obliged for any help you can send my way. Oh, and maybe shoot up a prayer or two for my friend.

:topsy:

What a great story!

I don't know of any DFW based communities but I do know that there is a group of Dominicans in Lufkin and I whole heartidly recommend her visiting the Panhandle Franciscans. They aren't on the 'other side of Texas' from Dallas, they're only about 6 hours away. :)
Laura is in Dallas, I'm sure she'll have some closer recommendations.

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1031501' date='Jul 26 2006, 06:44 PM']
What a great story!

I don't know of any DFW based communities but I do know that there is a group of Dominicans in Lufkin and I whole heartidly recommend her visiting the Panhandle Franciscans. They aren't on the 'other side of Texas' from Dallas, they're only about 6 hours away. :)
Laura is in Dallas, I'm sure she'll have some closer recommendations.
[/quote]
Forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to the geography of Texas. :unsure: :)

franciscanheart

Yeah I know of a few. :P: (It was a joke. Yes, I do know of quite a few! Haha.) What type of orders are you looking for? Contemplative? Active? Both?

If you dont mind me asking, (and pm me if you want) what parish is she from?

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1031549' date='Jul 26 2006, 08:14 PM']
Yeah I know of a few. :P: (It was a joke. Yes, I do know of quite a few! Haha.) What type of orders are you looking for? Contemplative? Active? Both?

If you dont mind me asking, (and pm me if you want) what parish is she from?
[/quote]
I know I just PM'd you, but if you would be so kind, could you please post suggestions on the thread? That way if anyone else is interested, they would be able to have some names/references. :)

franciscanheart

Oh sure. Why not? :P:

Since you suggested active orders I suggested the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth. If you go to them, speak with Sister Mary Paul or Sister Margaret. They are all wonderful but those two I know well and they are just fabulous!

I also suggested the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament from Victoria, Texas. I've only recently met them but already I love them! They are great! (I would suggest speaking with Sister Ann Meletio. She's really sweet and really funny!)

As Karin mentioned, there are the Discalced Carmelites in Arlington that are beautiful for someone seeking the contemplative life.

[url="http://www.cathdal.org/Vocation%20Office%20Web/CommunitiesWomen.htm"]This page (click here)[/url] has a list of religious communities in and around Dallas. I'm sure there is a Fort Worth page as well. I'm only mentioning the couple of communities that I know really well and think would be good starters. There are so many!

I recently spoke with Sister Nancy Sullivan of the Daughters of Charity. She is great - a big personality! My only concern is that they do not wear habits. :( The same is the case with the Sisters of St. Mary Namur. They are wonderful people... I just have a hard time coping with the lack of a habit and so much jewelry!

I hope that's a good start. I will give you more information soon. :)

edited to throw in this p.s.
p.s. if she's looking for something more or something different, there are many orders out there. one of my favorite orders does the youth2000 in our area about once a year but they are situated in new york. from what i can tell though, st maria goretti in arlington has franciscans? i don't know. i overheard that recently. if this is true (and i'm not entirely sure it is - i know they did youth 2000 there at least twice), she should definitely go and speak with them.

if she feels drawn, tell her to search online. www.consecrated-life.org has a good listing of communities (even by state). tell her to just surf. there is so much information there. if she looks she will see communities ranging from song-writers to bakers to sisters working in inner-city ministries.

okay... i'll stop.

srmarymichael

She is welcome to come here to Panhandle to visit if she wants to! It's only a 6 hour drive (like somebody said), and from listening to the young women who have visited, it's very helpful for them to go and just see what it's like inside of a convent. They tell me that they learn alot about themselves and about their calling just by being in the atmosphere. (God speaks to your heart, in His time, when you actively seek His Will.)

There's another Community nearby that is Charismatic and Franciscan if she happens to be interested in that kind of spirituality: The Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Tell her to pray for God to lead her to her special vocation and calling.

By the way, I will be in Dallas in October. Maybe she'd like to like to meet with a Sister in person.

Either way, she has our prayers and support.

God bless you guys!