An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just Had My Wisdom Teeth Yanked ...

Lilllabettt

Lilllabettt

... Off one side of my mouth.

I didn't have any anathesia, they just numbed the area. I was very scared to be awake for it, and it was pretty gross, but a lot less horrific than I thought it would be.

I'm just wondering how long the pain is going to last. (I don't like painkillers.)

Birgitta Noel

If you sleep propped up (think head higher than heart) that will help a lot with the pain. When you lie down the blood goes to your head (or something) and after waking up and getting upright the pain becomes excruciating.

Ice cream and milkshakes are good, the cold numbs the pain. NO STRAWS though. The sucking can rip the stitches.

Birgitta Noel

Get em all done at once if you can. My theory is why bear the pain 2-4 times when you can just take it all at once, it's not like it hurts more! :pinch: :pinch:

MissScripture

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1037115' date='Aug 3 2006, 03:59 PM']
... Off one side of my mouth.

I didn't have any anathesia, they just numbed the area. I was very scared to be awake for it, and it was pretty gross, but a lot less horrific than I thought it would be.

I'm just wondering how long the pain is going to last. (I don't like painkillers.)
[/quote]
I've had them all pulled one at a time (I still have one left), and the top hurt less than the bottom. But while it's miserable for the first day and a half, it's not too bad after that. It takes a while to be able to open your mouth all the way again. Although, I also did take ibprofuen, which I would suggest, because it isn't just a pain killer, it also helps with swelling and such. If you don't, I'd say it might take a couple of days to start feeling better. Just stick with soft foods and things that are easy to swallow. I'll say a prayer for you.

[quote name='The Little Way' post='1037145' date='Aug 3 2006, 05:18 PM']
Get em all done at once if you can. My theory is why bear the pain 2-4 times when you can just take it all at once, it's not like it hurts more! :pinch: :pinch:
[/quote]
Because there's the potential of dry socket and if they all dry socket at once you're gonna wish you were dead. (My aunt had 6 dry sockets at the same time. She said it'd be less painful to have had her head run over by a semi) I also didn't really have a choice, since our dentist won't pull them all at the same time...and they didn't all come in at the same time... Oh, and if you get the pulled one side at a time, you can still chew a little on the other side...more than you could if they were all yanked, anyway.

Edited by MissScripture

Birgitta Noel

True. I was thinking without complications. I had mine done all at once, two impacted, with no probs.

Clearly a decision for the doc, but if you have the option I say go for it.

MissScripture

[quote name='JesusIPray' post='1037157' date='Aug 3 2006, 05:31 PM']
I wanna get knocked out!
[/quote]
Except for the cracking noises, it really isn't that bad if they give you enough novicaine...if they don't, however, it's horrendous!

I just had mine removed about a month ago. I was awake, just got gas and shots. The pain never got really bad, I've had worse cramps in my life (TMI? lol). Take a motrin with the vicodin or whatever the doc prescribed for you and you should be fine. In about a week you can start eating normal food again and the pain and any swelling should be almost completely gone. By week 2 all that'll be a distant memory.

Just be careful, as has been said- no straws, no blowing hard (why would you? i dunno), smoking, etc. anything like that that will create a negative pressure. This could dislodge the blood clot necessary for healing and expose the nerve or bone or whatever which= intense pain. And when you rinse your mouth out with salt water after you eat be gentle, no swishing or spitting. A dry socket is more or less rare and will show up the first 48-72 hrs, the lower teeth being at greater risk than the upper ones.

Enjoy all that ice cream!

Edited by Mona

MissScripture

[quote name='Mona' post='1037224' date='Aug 3 2006, 08:46 PM']
I just had mine removed about a month ago. I was awake, just got gas and shots. The pain never got really bad, I've had worse cramps in my life (TMI? lol). Take a motrin with the vicodin or whatever the doc prescribed for you and you should be fine. In about a week you can start eating normal food again and the pain and any swelling should be almost completely gone. By week 2 all that'll be a distant memory.

Just be careful, as has been said- no straws, no blowing hard (why would you? i dunno), smoking, etc. anything like that that will create a negative pressure. This could dislodge the blood clot necessary for healing and expose the nerve or bone or whatever which= intense pain. And when you rinse your mouth out with salt water after you eat be gentle, no swishing or spitting. A dry socket is more or less rare and will show up the first 48-72 hrs, the lower teeth being at greater risk than the upper ones.

Enjoy all that ice cream!
[/quote]
I never even got gas...just novicaine. And I never had prescription drugs, either. Just the ibprofen (which is motrin, I think...). And after the 2nd being pulled (during which I did NOT have enough novicaine!) it only took me about a day before I could eat semi-normally (pasta, and stuff like that) but that was sort of out of hungry desperation, rather than no pain. It's amazing the things I'll go through for food...lol. But the top one was really rather easy, and that was a day later that I was eating sandwiches and stuff. Still easily chewable, but it was "real" food.

missionseeker

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1037152' date='Aug 3 2006, 05:27 PM']
I've had them all pulled one at a time (I still have one left), and the top hurt less than the bottom. But while it's miserable for the first day and a half, it's not too bad after that. It takes a while to be able to open your mouth all the way again. Although, I also did take ibprofuen, which I would suggest, because it isn't just a pain killer, it also helps with swelling and such. If you don't, I'd say it might take a couple of days to start feeling better. Just stick with soft foods and things that are easy to swallow. I'll say a prayer for you.
Because there's the potential of dry socket and if they all dry socket at once you're gonna wish you were dead. (My aunt had 6 dry sockets at the same time. She said it'd be less painful to have had her head run over by a semi) I also didn't really have a choice, since our dentist won't pull them all at the same time...and they didn't all come in at the same time... Oh, and if you get the pulled one side at a time, you can still chew a little on the other side...more than you could if they were all yanked, anyway.
[/quote]

dry sockets hurt like crazy but for some reason I don't think surviving a semi running over your head would be much better.

Edited by missionseeker

I get mine out next Monday, I'm pretty nervous. More than anything I'm scared of the drugs and painkillers. I don't like being numb...I guess it beats the pain? I just don't like not being able to feel parts of my body. It makes my head spin. Luckily we still have two weeks after that before school starts :) so maybe I can get some last minute stuff fun in with my friends. And besides they will all have to bring me ice cream.

MissScripture

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1037235' date='Aug 3 2006, 09:08 PM']
dry sockets hurt like crazy but for some reason I don't think surviving a semi running over your head would be much better.
[/quote]
:idontknow: That's what my aunt said! I've never had a dry socket, thankfully, so I really don't know.

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1037241' date='Aug 3 2006, 09:17 PM']
This must have been a super season for oral surgeons.
[/quote]

I know! It's kind of funny to put wisdom teeth in and search the phorum. There are a lot of threads about wisdom teeth!