An Old School Catholic Message Board

it is sin

Catholic Fanatic

Catholic Fanatic

I do not post much, but this post is warranted for two reasons. One, venial sins which continue unrepented are mortal sins. Two, having a fundamental option for God does not excuse mortal sins. That also means having a fundamental option towards God does not excuse venial sins. People here and everywhere seem to think their fundamental option allows them to sin, if not mortally, then venially. They continue like this, meaning they are in mortal sin.
For all eternity, they will burn in hell with literal fires burning their skin, demons clawing their eyes, and maggots eating their innards.

thessalonian

[quote name='Catholic Fanatic' post='1037391' date='Aug 4 2006, 09:05 AM']
I do not post much, but this post is warranted for two reasons. One, venial sins which continue unrepented are mortal sins. Two, having a fundamental option for God does not excuse mortal sins. That also means having a fundamental option towards God does not excuse venial sins. People here and everywhere seem to think their fundamental option allows them to sin, if not mortally, then venially. They continue like this, meaning they are in mortal sin.
For all eternity, they will burn in hell with literal fires burning their skin, demons clawing their eyes, and maggots eating their innards.
[/quote]

Your post is in error. Venial sins cannot become mortal sins. Further they do not have to be confessed, though it is recommended. The Eucharist forgives venial sin and so after reception of the Eucharist they are forgiven. It is true that venial sins can lead to mortal sins. Perhaps this is what you are trying to say.

1458 [b]Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church[/b]. Indeed the regular confession of our venial sins helps us form our conscience, fight against evil tendencies, let ourselves be healed by Christ and progress in the life of the Spirit. By receiving more frequently through this sacrament the gift of the Father's mercy, we are spurred to be merciful as he is merciful:
Whoever confesses his sins . . . is already working with God. God indicts your sins; if you also indict them, you are joined with God. Man and sinner are, so to speak, two realities: when you hear "man" - this is what God has made; when you hear "sinner" - this is what man himself has made. Destroy what you have made, so that God may save what he has made. . . . When you begin to abhor what you have made, it is then that your good works are beginning, since you are accusing yourself of your evil works. The beginning of good works is the confession of evil works. You do the truth and come to the light.

1416 [b]Communion with the Body and Blood of Christ [/b] increases the communicant's union with the Lord, [b]forgives his venial sins[/b], and preserves him from grave sins. Since receiving this sacrament strengthens the bonds of charity between the communicant and Christ, it also reinforces the unity of the Church as the Mystical Body of Christ.

You are correct that there is no excuse for mortal or venial sin. All sin is offensive to God.

Edited by thessalonian

venial sins lead to mortal sins, perhaps this is what you are trying to get accross? they weaken your will and lead to mortal sin.

fundamental option heresy is not promoted on these boards, at least by those with a Vatican Flag under their name.

It took me a couple rereads of your post, but I understand what you said now. I can't quite speak for everybody, but I think tessalonian said it well. Personally (this is going off topic), I'd like to research the theology behind the Eucharist and forgiveness of venial sins, but not allowed to touch it when under mortal sins, but I'll have to save that for later. I have a slight understanding of it; Mortal sins sever your relationship with God, or something like that, while venial sins only damage it. Also, keep in mind that venial sins include when you sin unwillingly (without full consent) or unknowingly (without full knowledge, both of which are conditions for something being mortal sin instead). Someone please correct me now if I'm wrong on that last statement, but i'm 99% sure of it. Thus, "having a fundamental option for God" does not seem to "not excuse venial sins" as some venial sins are when the "option for God", which I take to mean "option to do only purely good things", is not available or not recognizable, as is the case in moral dilemas(sp?).

the "fundamental option" heresy to which he refers says that, because you fundamentally wish to do good throughout your whole life, your individual sins do not affect your relationship with God because you're still at your core fundamentally choosing God. it is exactly what I describe it as: heresy.

you can love God all you want, but if you commit a mortal sin you still split off your relationship with Him. if you commit venial sins you still weaken your relationship with Him. in fact, your love of God would make you even more culpable, not less. your fundamental option for God makes you be held to an even higher standard; it makes that sin all the more grevious because you know you are doing wrong against the one you Love. it's the difference between killing a complete stranger and killing a beloved son; killing a beloved son is much more henious a crime.

committing a mortal sin while you have a "fundamental option for God" is a much more henious crime than someone without that "fundamental option for God" committing a mortal sin.

[quote name='Catholic Fanatic' post='1037391' date='Aug 4 2006, 11:05 AM']For all eternity, they will burn in hell with literal fires burning their skin, demons clawing their eyes, and maggots eating their innards.[/quote]
Okay.

Edited by Era Might

[quote]For all eternity, they will burn in hell with literal fires burning their skin, demons clawing their eyes, and maggots eating their innards.[/quote]

At least the climate is nice.

thessalonian

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1037428' date='Aug 4 2006, 10:13 AM']
At least the climate is nice.
[/quote]

You must live in Arizona. I see it has the majority of hottest cities in an article on the internet yesterday.

I live in Minnesota and let's just say I prefer a cooler climate. :D:

Edited by thessalonian

Catholic Fanatic

Venial sins are not needed to be confessed if they are venial sins, true. But what makes a venial sin is how you act committing it. If you insist on keeping your "venial" sin, or don't care about losing it, then it is a mortal sin. The people who commit more casual venial sins may fall into your category, those who commit the type I just described are the ones who I am preaching their eternal damnation to.

Why isn't the fundamental option heresy promoted in these parts? I fear it is because of the liberal nature of phatmass. Remember, liberalism is a sin. Those who don't change will be damned.

Edited by Catholic Fanatic

[quote name='Catholic Fanatic' post='1037460' date='Aug 4 2006, 01:09 PM']Why isn't the fundamental option heresy promoted in these parts? I fear it is because of the liberal nature of phatmass. Remember, liberalism is a sin. Those who don't change will be damned.[/quote]
Okay.

[quote]You must live in Arizona. I see it has the majority of hottest cities in an article on the internet yesterday.

I live in Minnesota and let's just say I prefer a cooler climate. [/quote]

NY actually, but the heat here has been stifling! What Catholic Fanatic describes sounds nice compared to the record-setting heat around here lately. And I could definitely go for some grub. (That was a pun about the maggot comment...I'll be quiet now. :lol:)

[quote name='Catholic Fanatic' post='1037460' date='Aug 4 2006, 12:09 PM']
Why isn't the fundamental option heresy promoted in these parts? I fear it is because of the liberal nature of phatmass. Remember, liberalism is a sin. Those who don't change will be damned.
[/quote]

A heresy is a heresy, and if one doesn't promote a heresy, it doesn't make them liberal or conservative; it makes them ORTHODOX. I'm also surprised that you'd call Phatmass "liberal" when the fundamental option theory would surely be considered a liberal heresy.