MissScripture Posted August 9, 2006 Posted August 9, 2006 [quote name='scardella' post='1039611' date='Aug 8 2006, 07:46 AM'] Maybe it's because I've always been a good speller, but it really bothers me when someone regularly has bad grammar or spelling. I find that capitalization errors don't bother me as bad as other errors, particularly because when I want to jot off a quick note, I'll sometimes fudge it. Proofreading is your freind, and, most of all, "Remember the backspace key! It's there for a reason. Use it." I probably used it about 25 times just writing this paragraph. Good grammar is something that you have to practice. It's much easier to take someone seriously if they have very few misspellings and proper grammar. It's the written equivalent of enunciating your words and presenting yourself well. Good diction can turn a boring note into a sweet symphony of words. Sometimes, it is just satisfying to know that you used exactly the right word, that gives the exact connotation and multivariant shades of meaning that would make Shakespeare jealous. It's funny, I suppose. I sometimes felt in better company among English majors than among my own Comp Sci majors. PS. Spellchecking has led to the dearth of good spellers. If you want to learn how to spell, you'd do better to manually proofread. You might also find some new and interesting words. [/quote] I have to agree with that backspace key line. I use it without even realizing it. On a friends keyboard, they had it on a smaller key and had a slash mark in it's place. I couldn't type, because I had all these little slashes everywhere! I tend to be OCD about my spelling and it bothers me when other people don't spell correctly, but I generally refrain from comments, unless it's especially horrendous or if I know the person well (such as my little sister) and I correct them with the intention of helping them, not insulting them, because I know that many people have problems with spelling.
Colleen Posted August 10, 2006 Posted August 10, 2006 [quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1039572' date='Aug 8 2006, 05:17 AM'] He's the one sounding like a Nazi. Most commonly misspelled word on Phatmass? Alot! [/quote] Yeah, I notice that a lot.
azaelia Posted August 10, 2006 Posted August 10, 2006 [quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1039195' date='Aug 7 2006, 04:38 PM'] Hey now, I's fink mah spellings be aight, I's gots mys GED and all, dat maka me smart. [/quote] I have a GED
Jeff Posted August 27, 2006 Posted August 27, 2006 Aoccdring to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelem. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. -funnyjunk.com
homeschoolmom Posted August 28, 2006 Posted August 28, 2006 [quote name='Sojourner' post='1039229' date='Aug 7 2006, 05:38 PM'] Spelling is one of the simplest linguistic skills -- dictionaries and spellcheck make it easy to ensure you've spelled something correctly. Improper spelling communicates poor education, carelessness, or laziness in a professional setting ... and, to a certain extent, in a non-professional setting as well. I could go on and on about spelling and its importance as a basis of communication. But then, I'm much more enamored of the written word than most ... [b]so I'll refrain.[/b][/quote] [quote name='Lil Red' post='1039247' date='Aug 7 2006, 06:05 PM'] THANK YOU! and AMEN! [/quote] Was that "thank you" for refraining? [quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1039544' date='Aug 8 2006, 02:35 AM'] I dont know why but I nearly always for get when I typing my "I'm" I forget the "'m" I guess I to lazy [/quote] I often forget to hit the r in your. Spelling comes naturally to some people. It doesn't to me or my daughter. My son, on the other hand, picks it up quickly.
adsdrummer Posted August 28, 2006 Posted August 28, 2006 I am a major spelling cop. I go crazy every time i hear the word "babysitted" or "funner". It is so saddening. I think a major part of the problem, lies in online forums like Phatmass, and Lifeteen. The spelling somedays, can just be downright atrocious. People see it, and end up picking the bad spelling up themselves, spreading like a disease. I fast get over it though. I slip too. So I'm going to stop now. :
Lil Red Posted August 28, 2006 Author Posted August 28, 2006 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1051822' date='Aug 27 2006, 09:24 PM']Was that "thank you" for refraining? [/quote] no
IcePrincessKRS Posted August 28, 2006 Posted August 28, 2006 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1051822' date='Aug 27 2006, 10:24 PM'] Was that "thank you" for refraining? I often forget to hit the r in your. Spelling comes naturally to some people. It doesn't to me or my daughter. My son, on the other hand, picks it up quickly. [/quote] It drives me nuts when I see people say "your" in place of "you're." I think that that bothers me more than just about any other spelling error. I know my grammar is carp, always has been, but at least I can spell (most of the time)! lol Now math skills on the other hand... I don't even add without a calculator.
Era Might Posted August 28, 2006 Posted August 28, 2006 [quote name='Seven77' post='1040351' date='Aug 9 2006, 06:20 PM'] sepllnig = oevrreatd [/quote] Spelling is overeated? [img]http://www.megacity.org/mirrored_stuff/alphabits.jpg[/img]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now