An Old School Catholic Message Board

St. Lawrence

HeavenlyCalling

HeavenlyCalling

I think so too!!! He's the patron saint of comedians, and, since I like to think I'm quiet the wit, so I really like him.

franciscanheart

I read about him in second grade (or was it first?) when we dressed up as Saints for the All Saints Day Mass. Yeah, I was a boy. They made us dress up like the Saints with whom we shared a name and Lawrence was the closest thing for me.

It's okay though. I got to learn about a really awesome saint at a really young age! ^_^ (I still have the report I did on him... it has a grill on the title page. :D: )

BTW - I just got back from Mass. I loved seeing the red vestments and being reminded of the awesome sacrifice Lawrence made for God and His Church!

HeavenlyCalling

We dressed up for all saints day too! The preist called a few of the kids up on the alter to awnser questions, they were all in the 1st grade so the replys were really funny. I was St. Lucia, because our family celebrates St. Lucia day, so I already had all the stuff, including a hat with battery powered candles, it was quiet a sight, let me tell you.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1041189' date='Aug 10 2006, 06:31 PM']
Yeah, I was a boy.
[/quote]
I guess that day you were telling everybody...

"I'M A MAN, NOT A GIRL YALL!"

Sr. Lauren's patron is St. Lawrence too. Trivia - it was two years ago to the day that she first visited the Shrine and felt the tug of God to enter OLAM. Pretty cool that you receive confirmation of your vocation on your patron's feast, no?

passionheart

For us in Canada and those close to our borders here is some trivia for you.

Guess who the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the St. Lawrence is named after :idontknow:

In our local paper today on the front page there is a story about St. Lawrence. A statue in his honour on Tuesday in the Gananoque near Joel Park on the Canadian side. Gananoque is near Kingston on your way to the thousands. The statute will be about one Kilometer(2.2 mi) from the Ivy Lea International bridge.

The person Hal McCarney a Gananoque businessman who spearhead this statute said he was fan of St. Lawrence since his mom bought him a picture more than 50yrs ago.

Here is the story but look to the corner on the left of the story. You will see the statute.

[url="http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=ee6da138-fbd5-41f9-b158-803aa53984ed&k=5920"]http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/s...a53984ed&k=5920[/url]

Blessings on St. Lawrence's Feast Day!!

Edited by passionheart

franciscanheart

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1041239' date='Aug 10 2006, 07:42 PM']
I guess that day you were telling everybody...

"I'M A MAN, NOT A GIRL YALL!"
[/quote]
:hehe: Something like that...

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1041239' date='Aug 10 2006, 07:42 PM']
Sr. Lauren's patron is St. Lawrence too. Trivia - it was two years ago to the day that she first visited the Shrine and felt the tug of God to enter OLAM. Pretty cool that you receive confirmation of your vocation on your patron's feast, no?
[/quote]
That is way cool. :cool:

It's been a good day and I've enjoyed spending it in memory of Lawrence. What an awesome man!

franciscanheart

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1041402' date='Aug 11 2006, 09:14 AM']
I was baptised on his feast :cool:
[/quote]
Way cool. :cool:

VeniteAdoremus

St. Lawrence (we call him Laurentius) is the patron of my diocese! But I was in Britain on his feast. I hope he didn't mind. :)