An Old School Catholic Message Board

authentic papal statement

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]"Q. What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant or by an agent of the Protestants?
A. A Christian to whom a Bible has been offered by a Protestant or an agent of the Protestants should reject it with disgust, because it is forbidden by the Church. If it was accepted by inadvertence, it must be burnt as soon as possible or handed in to the Parish Priest."
~St. Pius X[/quote]

I suppose one could question how final that statement was intended by that pope. Like if a pope says priests should do this in the liturgy, the next can say no, and nohting was contradicted as nothing was meant as infallible.

But assuming that quote is authentic, isn't this an infallible statement? It's a teaching on faith and morals, to the Church, by the Pope. So isn't everyone bound to follow that?

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1042709' date='Aug 13 2006, 02:39 PM']
I suppose one could question how final that statement was intended by that pope. Like if a pope says priests should do this in the liturgy, the next can say no, and nohting was contradicted as nothing was meant as infallible.

But assuming that quote is authentic, isn't this an infallible statement? It's a teaching on faith and morals, to the Church, by the Pope. So isn't everyone bound to follow that?
[/quote]
This statement (if it is indeed genuine) is not a dogmatic statement, and is not on faith and morals. (It teaches no dogma; it is merely proscribes a course of action.) The issue being dealt with was protestants giving out protestant versions of the Bible (with protestant notes) for the purpose of "converting" Catholics to protestantism.

One can argue whether or not this proscription was prudent, but it definitely would not fall under the category of dogma.

It's not dogma, but you comitt the grave mortal sin of disobedience if you don't reject a protestant bible with disgust, or, if you already have one, burn it or hand it in to the parish priest.

It seems some context is needed if this discussion is to have any meaning. What is the source of this supposed quote?
It does not appear to be a binding, public statement. It would only be binding if the Pope made this statement publically and officially.

Edited by Socrates

Mateo el Feo

I would place this in the same basket as the ancient prohibition against cremation. The controversy regarding cremation had to do with the intent of those who were practicing it (i.e. the denial of the resurrection of the body).

At the time, the restriction of protestant translations was a prudential command. Intent could certainly affect this command, under the right circumstances. For example, if a priest or theologian lived in a protestant-majority community, he could very well benefit from owning a protestant translation of the Bible, resulting in more reasoned and informed apologetics.

I also don't think this was an infallible statement, because it doesn't really have to do with any article of faith and morals.

Nonetheless, it was binding on the faithful. But, I suspect that the Church, while She continues to ask Her children to avoid faulty translations of Holy Scriptures, does not intend to apply this command universally.

BTW, the quote is from the [url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSXCAT.HTM"]Catechism of Saint Pius X (link)[/url].

Catholic Fanatic

[quote]It's not dogma, but you comitt the grave mortal sin of disobedience if you don't reject a protestant bible with disgust, or, if you already have one, burn it or hand it in to the parish priest.[/quote]

I like your style StThomas. If you all do not follow the words of the pope now that you have been made aware of them, you will burn in literal fires of hell, where the Terrible Judge will call you to Himself and have you killed, as He did in Luke. Obedience or damnation, the choice is simple.

[quote] Nonetheless, it was binding on the faithful. But, I suspect that the Church, while She continues to ask Her children to avoid faulty translations of Holy Scriptures, does not intend to apply this command universally. [/quote]

It was and IS binding on all the Faithful. The Chuch's teachings do not change and never will change. The Church does intend to apply this command universely.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Catholic Fanatic' post='1043005' date='Aug 13 2006, 10:23 PM']I like your style StThomas. If you all do not follow the words of the pope now that you have been made aware of them, you will burn in literal fires of hell, where the Terrible Judge will call you to Himself and have you killed, as He did in Luke. Obedience or damnation, the choice is simple.[/quote]While I believe that obedience to Our Lord and His Church are of the highest importance regarding an individual's salvation, I think that it is ineffective to constantly badger non-Catholics by calling them heretics.

My role model for Christian charity in religious dialogue is St. Ignatius of Loyola. Reading an autobiography (e.g. [url="http://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage_gr/product_id/143/"]this book[/url]), or his own letters (e.g. [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0829400850/qid=1139933312/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/002-9461022-7954404?redirect=true&n=283155"]this book[/url]), one finds a saint who approaches those who dissent from Church teachings (e.g. protestants) with incredible gentleness and charity.

It is in stark contrast, that one sees the example of Martin Luther, who conjures up things like "the pope is the anti-Christ" or "the Catholic Church is the whore of Babylon."

For the sake of the Church, I'd rather imitate St. Ignatius' gentle charity, rather than Luther's contentiousness.

I have a Protestant Bible from when I was first becoming acquainted with religion. Have I gotten rid of it? No, it's more of a keepsake from first really learning about Christianity. I also think I could benefit from owning it, so if I was defending the Catholic Faith and they said, it's only in your Catholic Bible, I could say it's also in the King James Bible as well. I know a lot of Protestants (from Workcamp, family members, my boyfriend,and kids at school) and it would greatly help with apologetics.

thessalonian

Catholics were not in general forbidden from owning Bibles and I will bet by the time Pius XII came around most families did have a Bible in the home. The issue of course is the Protestant translations and the missing seven books. Likely the KJV still had the corrupt translation of Romans 3 as well where he inserts the word "alone" after "faith". Further there was not the amount of information available that there is today. I think the Pope's words under the circumstances were quite prudent.

Edited by thessalonian

thessalonian

I meant Pius X above regading the opening post in this thread. Protestants make accusations that Catholicism forbid bible reading and Popes were against the laity having Bibles. This has colored the thinking that has gone in to the question at hand quite clearly. As Stthomas said, it is only Protestant and other Bibles that such words are/were meant for. Why would the consciencous keeper entrusted with the scriptures want the faithful to have corrupt Bibles. The logic is that even with some corrupt it's still good. A glass of water with some arsenic for a man in the desert is still good is the fallacy of the logic.

Edited by thessalonian