An Old School Catholic Message Board

I placed vocation material in the back of my church

brandelynmarie

brandelynmarie

This is just a personal pet peeve of mine...I had placed some vocational material that I had received (& wanted to pass on) on a bookshelf at the back of my church...I had stuff for priests as well as active sisters & contemplative nuns...The shelves are usually bare with maybe a couple magazines...Well, after about 2 weeks...someone removed all of it! I keep wondering if maybe I should have asked the parish office first...But what harm was it doing? I had hoped that maybe it would help encourage vocations in my parish... :ohno: Well, back to praying! :sign:

Edited by brandelynmarie

+

No, please don't give up!!! But, you do need to ask Father for permission, otherwise, parishes generally take things down as a matter of principle (for better or worse). Just ask him!! :)

Speaking as one with a lot of experience in this area (that's essentially one of the first things we did as the SOLC after forming), Father's permission MUST be obtained first. They have a tendency to get almost cocky if you don't. And if something is in the rack that they didn't approve--it's gone. Even if vocational reading.

By what you've done, you almost sound like an SOLC Prayer Partner, Brandelynmarie!

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1047473' date='Aug 21 2006, 04:18 PM']
Maybe they were all taken by discerners!
[/quote]

We usually would put the literature out toward the weekend. Sometimes it'd be gone before Monday.

I sent a bunch of packages to two young ladies in Nashville when the SOLC first started. They took them to the churches in their area. One monastery said one of their inquiries stated that she found the brochure in a church in Nashville. Same thing happened in Chattanooga (I had another distributor there).

Yep, we can always hope. Sometimes curious laity will pick them up, read them, then pass them on to someone they know who's interested in the religious life. At any rate, the life has been promoted, and someone else has been educated.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Gemma' post='1047835' date='Aug 22 2006, 08:58 AM']
Yep, we can always hope. Sometimes curious laity will pick them up, read them, then pass them on to someone they know who's interested in the religious life. [b]At any rate, the life has been promoted, and someone else has been educated.[/b]
[/quote]
[emphasis mine] AMEN, Gemma!

Edited by shortnun

I got some information in the mail from a missionary order and in the letter they sent, they asked me to ask our priest if a flyer could be put up. I asked him but, he said that we can't put up things about specific orders because then you have to put up a flyer for EVERY order otherwise, people will think that we love one more than the other. :(

God Bless

Anna

[quote name='onlygrace08' post='1047990' date='Aug 22 2006, 01:10 PM']
I got some information in the mail from a missionary order and in the letter they sent, they asked me to ask our priest if a flyer could be put up. I asked him but, he said that we can't put up things about specific orders because then you have to put up a flyer for EVERY order otherwise, people will think that we love one more than the other. :(

God Bless

Anna
[/quote]

Nunsense! :ninja:

I can tell him from my years of experience that there aren't that many orders who choose to promote themselves with "flats" as we here at the SOLC call them. Most prefer tri-folded "prelims" (preliminaries), which are more easily inserted into racks. "Flats" are normally used to promote retreats, etc. In the packages that I send out, I have only about 10 "flats"--if that many. If you can find a very large push pin, you can secure all of them with one in one place.

I really appreciate the fact that he wants to give "equal time" to all the orders, but in reality, unless someone has one of our packages, there won't be more than four or five fliers tacked up onto a bulletin board.

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Gemma' post='1048000' date='Aug 22 2006, 12:18 PM']
Nunsense! :ninja:

I can tell him from my years of experience that there aren't that many orders who choose to promote themselves with "flats" as we here at the SOLC call them. Most prefer tri-folded "prelims" (preliminaries), which are more easily inserted into racks. "Flats" are normally used to promote retreats, etc. In the packages that I send out, I have only about 10 "flats"--if that many. If you can find a very large push pin, you can secure all of them with one in one place.

I really appreciate the fact that he wants to give "equal time" to all the orders, but in reality, unless someone has one of our packages, there won't be more than four or five fliers tacked up onto a bulletin board.

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

Well, we do have a rather small cork board and, the only thing that I ever see posted on it is a thing that says to pray for our seminarians... it really did make sense once he said something...

[quote name='onlygrace08' post='1048012' date='Aug 22 2006, 01:24 PM']
Well, we do have a rather small cork board and, the only thing that I ever see posted on it is a thing that says to pray for our seminarians... it really did make sense once he said something...
[/quote]

Offer to donate a board.

Blessings,
Gemma

brandelynmarie

Thanks for the feedback y'all & yep yep Gemma...I am praying for the SOLC too! :blush: I'm just glad the stuff was there for about 2 weeks anyway...I even had pamphlets for retreat houses & ones for promoting visits to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament...I just think it is the strangest thing...:idontknow: