An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ideas on different ways to pay of debts?

FutureIHMNJ

Well I wanted to see from the Phatmasses out there...what type of things have people done to raise money to pay of debts..I read on here that someone had a bake sale??

I want to start getting ideas now so when the time comes(hopefully soon :D: ) I can be ready for it...

Thanks
Lee Nora

[quote name='FutureIHMNJ' post='1053821' date='Aug 30 2006, 05:00 PM']
Well I wanted to see from the Phatmasses out there...what type of things have people done to raise money to pay of debts..I read on here that someone had a bake sale??

I want to start getting ideas now so when the time comes(hopefully soon :D: ) I can be ready for it...
Thanks
Lee Nora
[/quote]

+

Our Young Adult group had a picnic and took donations for a Nashville Postulant to be, who just entered several weeks ago. In the end, over $1,000.00 was donated to help repay her school loans before she entered!

Also, take donations (the "stuff") for a garage sale. Then do all the pricing and selling with yourself and volunteers with all proceeds to go towards your debt/loans.

If you haven't, contact the Laboure Society: [url="http://www.labourefoundation.org"]http://www.labourefoundation.org[/url]
Then, start sending letters and ask your pastor to put a note in the bulletin about your vocation and financial impediment.

Best!

[quote name='Veritas' post='1054227' date='Aug 31 2006, 02:42 AM']
+

Our Young Adult group had a picnic and took donations for a Nashville Postulant to be, who just entered several weeks ago. In the end, over $1,000.00 was donated to help repay her school loans before she entered!

Also, take donations (the "stuff") for a garage sale. Then do all the pricing and selling with yourself and volunteers with all proceeds to go towards your debt/loans.

If you haven't, contact the Laboure Society: [url="http://www.labourefoundation.org"]http://www.labourefoundation.org[/url]
Then, start sending letters and ask your pastor to put a note in the bulletin about your vocation and financial impediment.

Best!
[/quote]

I second Veritas' ideas!! :clap:

Also, maybe your pastor would be willing to have a second collection for you during one (or all) of the Sunday masses?

And of course, pray, pray, pray. :bigpray: Perhaps to the Infant of Prague?

Jesus always provides for His future spouses. :love:

[quote name='magnificat' post='1054408' date='Aug 31 2006, 11:15 AM']
I have two friends who held bake sales at church. One of them raised $6,000+ in one weekend!
[/quote]

Do you know how they went about it..???

franciscanheart

We've done bake sales at church before and had great success! Start by asking your priest for his approval! ;) Then, organize! Organize! Organize!

Recruit some helpers: people to bake, people to spread the word, and people to help you run the booth! Put an announcement in your bulletin for at least three weeks prior and try to make yourself available to speak at every Mass, if your priest will allow it! People are willing - especially for such beautiful causes!

Also, I would suggest RemnantBand.com for fundraising info. They are an awesome Catholic band (I know them personally) and they have awesome merch. ;)

i have been looking into different ways to get money for school....however finanical aid does help, however not everyone can get it. i have been looking at scholarhsips in pageants. a friend of mine is the director of the local one her daughter won in last yr. that is just one idea i have had in mymind for the past few weeks.

however, fundraising is a good idea!!!1 our maybe just asking people to help you out.

Edited by Sixtina87

[quote name='FutureIHMNJ' post='1054412' date='Aug 31 2006, 12:26 PM']
Do you know how they went about it..???
[/quote]

Yes. For one of the girls, she worked on it with her spiritual director and did it at his parish where she went to Mass regularly. That day, her spiritual director made an announcement near the end of Mass about the bake sale and why they were having it, etc. She had baked cookies, muffins, banana bread, etc. and wrapped them individually so it was easy to deal with and just set out a jar for donations. She also had pictures of the order out so people could see the nuns. Her spiritual director put a "thank you" in the bulletin the following week.

My other friend had a bake sale one weekend, similiar to the one I described above. The other weekend she had gotten some parish friends to donate little seedling plants and did a pizza lunch after Mass because she was able to get the pizza basically donated. She announced it a week in advanced in the bulletin and obviously had the support of the priest at the parish.

Hope that helps!

[quote name='DAF' post='1054823' date='Aug 31 2006, 07:49 PM']
What's that one site that ran our of money a while ago? Somebody made a post about it but I can't find it :(
[/quote]

[url="http://fraserfamilyfoundation.org/index.html"]Fraser Family Foundation[/url]

Please pray for generous donors to help the foundation (and help spread the word to those who might be interested in donating where you live!) so that hopefully they can continue their much needed work!

Hmm... I know some young, orthodox priests are willing to pay out of their own pockets-that's just how much they want to encourage new, holy vocations. :)